Supermarket Status [Monmouth County, NJ]

Just got back from Delicious Orchards “pre-packaged “ deal, $49. for all of the below. Price and offerings change daily, so check for their daily offers. It’s “no contract” to the utmost degree, when you pull up they place the bags in your trunk then use a 6ft 2x4 “plank” with the credit card reader placing it on your drivers side window to run your card. Lol With all of today’s technology it still comes down to a good ole 2x4 to get the job done!!

13 Likes

I went to Delicious Orchard on Saturday afternoon around 3 pm.
No line, bakery, fruit and vegetable well stocked which is want I was there for. It’s basically almost like a normal shopping trip except for the masks and gloves.

3 Likes

Walked in at Freehold Sam’s around 6:30pm. Pretty empty. Had most things but chicken and ground beef/turkey. No eggs.

1 Like

New place in Manalapan
Buddy’s Marketplace opened 5/1 in the Yorktown shopping center.
The score of the day was a Junior’s cheese cake.
The place is similar to Tuscany but seems pricier.
The Cheesecake was $30.00 ( worth it in these times)
Salads were about $10.00 a pound.
Fresh bread and the usual Italian specialities.
No line but other than that & the Juniors Cheesecake not worth my time as Tuscany is basically 5 minutes from my home.
I would recommend if you are nearby.

2 Likes

Heads up to anyone who qualified but did not take advantage of the Spring holiday promotion at Shoprite. You have until May 9 to get your free item (turkey, ham, chicken, etc.) which you can also donate somewhere if you prefer.

2 Likes

So funny–I was JUST looking at my receipt from today so I could tell my friend his total, and I noticed it at the bottom…REALLY wish they had said something at the register because I’m not sure I’m going to go back just for that.

That said, I went to the SR in Neptune today around Noon, and while there were plenty of people, it wasn’t jammed, and it’s the first time since this whole thing started that the store felt almost fully stocked. TP (only 1-2 brands), paper towels (they were just finishing stocking the entire first half of the aisle with a variety of brands), and even some cleaning supplies and hand sanitizer. The pork and beef sections had signs Limit 2 per type of meat, but I didn’t see one on chicken.

I hadn’t been in over 2 weeks so I did a big stock-up, including some things I didn’t genuinely need, but when I saw them in front of me…

2 Likes

Were you in the ice cream department?

6 Likes

If I was, I’m not saying. :rofl:

1 Like

Went to two diametrically opposed stores today - the Ocean Costco and Super Supermarket in Asbury Park. Both were pretty good experiences.

Costco - Got there about 1:30pm. Shoppers are only allowed in as someone else leaves and I was able to walk right in. Employees clean the cart for you but I had already taken a cart that was left in the parking lot and wiped it down myself (not because I didn’t trust Costco but it really annoys me when someone can’t be bothered to put their cart back where is belongs). Signs were posted outside to let you know what they were out of (all sanitizing products, gloves, certain meds) and that they were limiting purchases of beef, pork, and poultry to 3 total per person.

Everyone was wearing a mask and most seemed to be wearing it correctly. I don’t pay attention to gloves as I am not sure whether they really serve a purpose. Employees were keeping an eye on shoppers, reminding them to keep socially distanced but most seemed to be doing so anyway. Aisles were 2 way, they are wide enough that that didn’t seem to be a problem like it can be in a regular supermarket. The store seemed well stocked and there were only a few things on my list they didn’t have (seaweed salad, unsweetened dried mango). There was LOTS of TP if you like Charmin or their brand, limited 1 per person. They have one line to check out and an employee directs you to the next available cashier a la the bank. No touch checkout. Regular gas was $1.75/gallon.

Super Supermarket - Went after Costco to pick up a few things I didn’t want in Costco sizes or which Costco didn’t have. No one was cleaning carts but there was hand sanitizer when you walked in. Everyone was wearing masks. The store was well stocked. I didn’t need meat but the counter seemed to be as filled as always. Avocados were hard as rocks. They had lots of TP but it seemed a little bit expensive. Plexi between cashier and customer. No bags - not sure if that is a new thing or if they were just out. They did have empty boxes that they let muse.

The worst part of my shopping experience was figuring out where to put everything when I got home. I do realize how lucky I am that that is my problem.

5 Likes

Hit up Shop Rite Sunday and the chicken section looked like a bomb went off. Only a few packs of chicken breasts which were so enormous that I was hesitant to buy them (no joke, they seemed mutant). However upon inspection and cutting them into cutlets, not one bit of white striping/woody breast, so a win.

If anything, the last month or so has reminded me to stop being lazy with pre-sliced chicken breasts and to just do it myself. Better value and less icky woody chicken.

3 Likes

One of my BIGGEST pet peeves in life. I just don’t understand the mentality of “I’ll just leave this here.–someone else will deal with it.”

That “leaving things anywhere” thing is annoying.

Even more so was the shoppers who would park their cart sideways blocking off an entire wide aisle while slowly browsing the shelves.

I say “was” because these days I’m almost certain some other shopper would be carrying and may start shooting.

No kidding–this is definitely a concern when it comes to what to say/when/to whom.

When I was still working we’d find the craziest things hidden on the shelves - cups, have eaten food, products we didn’t even sell. I once found a bag of bathing suits someone lifted from another store. We think they hid them there and were planning to comeback for them later when the coast was clear.

When shopping for produce I have to admit I used to park my cart off to the side (usuall y near tofu which no one ver seemed to buy) and then gather what I wanted. Those aisles were just too crowded. Now I use it as a tool for social distancing.

1 Like

SAME!!!

@seal
Went to my local Kroger yesterday, not realizing I was carrying a peevish attitude with me. Almost immediately fit into a cart caravan shopping the ONE WAY aisles correctly. Slow going, but I felt good about being courteous.

Well! Second aisle into the trek, our “cart-a-van” encounters the first shopper ignoring the one way aisle concept. And this shopper parks the cart in the exact center of the aisle to make a few choices. STALL. A bit later, the wrong-way shopper resumes their journey. As I was passed by, I declared: "You’re going the wrong way." That was met with a long, very unfriendly stare. I got to call out two other shoppers with the same comment, before finishing my own shopping. I’m pretty sure that if the third shopper I called out had had a hand gun, I would have gotten a bullet to the brain. Just now–in my old age, realizing how much I dislike “Privilege”.

3 Likes

ATTENTION, SHOPRITE SHOPPERS!

As mentioned upthread, I have a freebie due from the SR spring promotion. I’m not going to go back to the store to get this, but if one of you wants it for yourself or for a local charity ( @seal ?), I’m happy to give you the phone number associated with my card. Then all you have to do is enter it at the register and you’ll get one of these items FREE or with the special pricing:
https://shop.shoprite.com/globaldata/banner-pages/spring-rewards

The offer is only good through this Saturday (5/9), so let me know!

3 Likes

Too funny @CurlzNJ and really bad timing. Deb would definitely have donated it to HABCore and she was in ShopRite just about an hour before you posted. She came home saying she wasn’t going shopping again soon …:crying_cat_face:

WAH… but still unclaimed, so anyone else who can use it, let me know!

I’m going early tomorrow morning, if no one else wants it. It would be for Mark and me, because I have no way to donate frozen food anywhere. This is assuming I can just give your phone number–I guess if I pretend it’s mine, they won’t even know. Can you DM me or something?