Supermarket Ground Coffee

Interesting – is there something unique to the Greek version of Nescafe that is more appealing?

1 Like

There are some other Greek and other European brands that work as well, for people who hate Nestle!
I bring instant home from Italy and Greece for this purpose.

@kobuta The European freeze spray process for instant coffee froths better for frappe.

The Greek Nescafé costs about $13-$17 Cdn a can, when Canadian Nescafé is often on sale for $5 Cdn a jar, so I use regular Nescafé most of the time.

The Greek Nescafé has a nicer aroma when the can is opened up.

Wow- even more expensive on Amazon! $28.96/ large can.
I guess I’ll pick up some cans when I’m in Greektown next.

1 Like

What Phoenikia said. It’s stronger too.

I like Chock Full O Nuts. It’s just gotten so expensive. I make coffee for 6-10 people daily, so I have to go little frugally. I usually just buy Great Value.

2 Likes

I am a coffee lover so I would not say that I prefer one of the types or I have a different option. But I have heard my friend talk about the Eight o’clock original saying it is the best coffee she can think of since she really loves coffee. However, I am sure there are several types or rather brands of coffee that you can choose if you want to change from your previous one or if you want something more of what you are using.**

We used to get whole bean Major Dickason’s, but a friend turned us on to the “cowboy coffee” from Armano, so that’s what we’ve been drinking ever since. Freshly ground in the morning. Tiny sprinkle of splenda (which I am trying to phase out), half & half, and I’m ready to go :slight_smile:

That’s so interesting! I would think a coffee lover would have a preference for a particular brand. You really have no preferences either way?

Can bots post on HO? @naf?

Why would Bots post?

Maybe this is some other sort of AI post?

It looks like all the Catherine Snowden posts are word salad.

3 Likes

The mods have been informed by several posters.

4 Likes

I struggled a lot at the beginning of my pandemic exile with supermarket coffee (even the brand I decided I could tolerate suffered supply-chain issues) but now I find very nice coffee available in my local suburban supermarkets: both Stumptown and Blue Bottle (!)

1 Like

Nice to see my suspicion about a possible bot shared by other members.

3 Likes

I was beginning to wonder this myself.

1 Like

Here at home in Japan, I exclusively drink MJB Original Blend ground coffee. It’s a blend of Vietnamese and Brazilian beans. I think those members from the west coast of the US might recognize the MJB brand and I was surprised to find it in Japan. I pay ¥321/$2.40 for a 270g/9.5oz bag. I’m not all that particular about coffee and I find this coffee is the best bang for the buck and fits the flavor palate I prefer. I use 15g for one small cup of coffee.

When I was a kid, my parents only drank “Chock Full O’Nuts”. At that time (1960’s~early '80s), most people I knew only bought cans of ground coffee, but some markets had machines where you could pour in beans bought at the store and grind them yourself. IIRC, those machines allowed you to choose the type of grind you wanted. But I was too young to drink coffee and never really paid much attention to those machines.

2 Likes

One of my smaller supermarkets, FarmBoy, in Ontario, ,Canada, still has a grinder next to the whole coffee beans in the coffee/tea aisle.

Our A&P had them in the 80s and 90s, but I think the grinders were taken out around the time the A&=s were rebranded as Metro close to 20 years ago.

I don’t like using a grinder at home, so I buy coffee that’s ground, either from the store or coffee shop.

Lately, I’ve been trying a lot of smaller batch brands.

1 Like

I drink decaf, it used to be Sanka now it is the least expensive, usually Nescafe in glass jars so I can recycle the glass. I’ve never gotten ‘into coffee’. I love the flavor, though. Coffee ice cream, coffee panna cotta, coffee gravy, Coffee Nips candy. The roomate drinks Peet’s House Blend and he grinds the beans. Both are available at our grocery stores.

2 Likes

Had a MAJOR inflation moment noticing the price of coffee in NYC now that I’m back to grocery shopping there. I’m home in PA for the weekend and planning to fill my suitcase with coffee to take back. Price of Dunkin’ ground in PA: 6.99. Price in NYC, same bag: 16.99.

1 Like

Prices for ground coffee are all over the map here. I can find a big can of Folger’s on sale for $8, but most 1 lb bags of upscale brand name or smaller batch indie ground coffee at grocery stores run $14-$18, and I’m paying $18-$22/lb at indie coffee shops.

1 Like

Coffee prices here in Portland, ME. are about the same as yours. The tubs go (on sale) for $6 to $8US. Bagged brands like Green Mountain or New England Coffee are frequently on sale for $4.99 to $6.99-- otherwise they’re $12-ISH. Ground or Whole Bean from the shops $25-ish. Portland has a zillion coffee shops (by actual count).

I’ve recently had two GOOD! bags of McCafé Premium Medium Roast. TJ’s is now a once a month trip :sob: but their medium roast is still the best deal at $4.99/14 oz (& best tasting imo).

2 Likes

I was at a BMW owners appreciation event and they had an Illy espresso machine there that was similar to mine and the coffee was ambrosia! MUCH better than my coffee, same type of machine.
I asked the girl serving it and she said that she was not a barista but she heard the same thing over and over. She claimed that it was simply that the beans were roasted a day or two before each event and they were much fresher than anything i was going to be able to buy.
Not sure if she was accurate in what she told me but it did make me wish there was a way for me to get fresher coffee.

1 Like

Freshness rule of 15 for coffee:

15 minutes once brewed
15 hours once ground
15 days once roasted

The best flavour from the beans is from day 2 to day 15. I buy green beans from the current harvest and roast when needed. For longer storage, freeze roasted beans to keep them tasting fresh.

2 Likes