Supermarket Ground Coffee

6 Likes

I’m the one who posted that video on YouTube! I know it gets lots of views, but this is the first time I’ve ever run across it on another website!

3 Likes

Wow, hadn’t heard that in mumble cough cough years (50?) :thinking: :scream: :grin:

2 Likes

Do you remember why?

I heard it all the he time as a child, and would go to the one near Radio City Music Hall while waiting in line e. I didn’t realize it was local.

2 Likes

I’d say there’s a few reasons. The first is that for a long time I wanted to be a copywriter and have long had an interest in jingles and slogans (and yes, I both saw and posted in the thread on that.) Another reason is that Chock Full O’Nuts was the coffee my family drank and the last reason is that I have this CD of commercials which gave me easy access to a somewhat HD recording of it.

https://www.discogs.com/release/1462162-Various-TeeVee-Toons-The-Commercials

5 Likes

I buy a can every year when I go camping for a week. Love the stuff. Prolly my favorite drip. Never been able to find the nuts, though.

3 Likes

They’re in the cream cheese on nut bread sandwich.

3 Likes

:laughing::laughing:

Hey, you stole my grandpa’s joke! :slight_smile:
He’s been gone a while so it’s good know someone else has a sense of humor like his.

I think they cut the nuts.

1 Like

The only canned coffe I’ve purchased in the Anthropocene is a Starbucks product that Costco once sold. It was packaged in small cans, enough for a 10-cup pot of auto drip. I bought it to tide us over when we run out of whole bean. It was pretty good. Sadly, now d/c’d.

My parents loved the Yuban instant.

I think Dunkin’ also does supermarket ground.

If you have any of the “Big 4”, screen some for fines and report back?

My current coffees

Tchibo! I haven’t seen that since I lived in Poland.

2 Likes

It’s also sold at the Polish stores around here.

The Polish stores also carry some nice ground coffees and whole bean coffees from Poland, Austria and Germany.

I bought this jar at my indie grocery store that has nice stuff!

Remark Fresh Market in London, Ontario.

1 Like

We’re big Peet’s fans and have been for 40+ years. We are very happy that we can buy it in the grocery stores now.

4 Likes

An experiment & taste test.

I ran out of ground coffee on Monday:scream: Did have my usual 2 cups but there wasn’t a grain left in the canister. We’ve been doing Walmart home delivery for staple stuff & it works well mostly. Saw I could have it same day & placed the order.

Ordered Eight O’clock Ground. A 2lb! bag was on sale for $14. One hour before order due to arrive I get a text it’s not available :scream: :scream: :scream: but they’ll ship it for free to arrive on Wednesday :unamused: . I said OK.

Tuesday Morning-- sitting in the cupboard is over a lb of Amazon Colombian whole bean…but It had a “Best by Date 3/23” & I’d bought them over 1 year previous. (Why hadn’t I used it up? Moved apts, grinder buried plus it was gross so ordered a new one. ) Well, desperation is the mother of necessity as they say so fired up the new coffee grinder. It was OK! :tada:

Wednesday morning made a cup of the 'Zon. An bout later was going for 2nd but checked shipment & saw FedEx snuck in at 10 :partying_face:(they typically show up at 2PM.)

Made a cup of the 8. It and the 'Zon were just about the same… :thinking: :yum:

2 Likes

Stale whole beans vs. ground Eight O’Clock coffee…yeah, I’d say they’d taste about the same.

2 Likes

Still home roasting, so I have no idea what supermarket coffee taste like but when traveling, hotel coffee will do.

While cleaning out the house for our up coming house closing, I found my AeroPress that I use to travel with. In room coffee back then wasn’t so good. Now it’s all in room pod machines

Found this at the Dollar Store :grinning:

1 Like

As part of my exploration of grind size distribution, I recently bought a 1-pound can of drip-grind MJB. Not only was it a much more consistent distribution (far fewer boulders and fines), but it was also drinkable.

I keep some of the now-discontinued Starbucks ground, single-pot cans just in case I inadvertently run out of whole beans. It’s actually quite good.