Super Bowl 2024 Eats

I fell into a brie dip and whipped brie rabbit hole. Lol.

Yep, I would also only bring one paprika & cheese dip for the pretzels.

There is an Australian brie dip with bacon and a drizzle of honey that would also probably be good with pretzels. Haven’t tried it. But you have the Alouette so you’re set!

2 Likes

But I can’t do any prep other than making the cake till I hear back on the rest of the plan :woman_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

Make the meat filling? Can freeze…

Tell me more? Didn’t turn up with Google.

Buying groceries but won’t cook yet bec I don’t want to have to eat my way through a pile of stuff meant for a group :joy:

1 Like

https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/whipped-brie-dip-recipe/oipzt2b2

Or top the Alouette with crumbled bacon, a drizzle of honey and a shake of thyme.

2 Likes

It is just me here so I don’t have to deal with a whole spread. I do want to try a new Food Network recipe that I came across on Twitter a couple of days ago–Pretzel Foccaccia with Beer Cheese. The local grocery store doesn’t have pretzel salt so I’m just going to use coarse sea salt and hope for the best. Also I’m not using American cheese. I’m using 2 kinds of sharp cheddar along with the cream cheese.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/pretzel-focaccia-with-beer-cheese-16961360

10 Likes

Lol. Two-person, highly-apathetic household here. If we watch any of it, there might be a big bowl of popcorn, coming in well under the average cost of $86 per person for Superbowl parties.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/interactive/2024/super-bowl-party-expensive/

7 Likes

Realized I can turn the meat filling into kababs worst case scenario, so took your advice and made the meat filling and put it away.

6 Likes
4 Likes

IF friends are hosting something (a big IF after tonight’s party), I may bring super-traditional baba ganoush to the affair. Don’t care for either team or football, but it’s a nice excuse to hang out & snack on stuff. Like we need one :joy:

4 Likes

Friends aren’t hosting, we aren’t watching. And yet, I made this guac as I had a bunch of perfectly ripe avocados, and the NYT recently sent out a guac recipe for Super Bowl Sunday.

A recipe? For guac, you ask? For realz? IKR? We don’t need no stinkin’ recipes to make a lowly guac!

Well, wouldn’t ya know - this may be the best guac I’ve made (tho I find the missing lime juice in the recipe perplexing and, of course, added some).

I gave up on trying to smash the onion, bird peppers & cilantro into a paste in my mortar, so I just kept chopping and chopping until I could smash it all with my Global. Def amped up the heat & the amount of cilantro. Really good :yum:

Gift link.

7 Likes

What makes this guac stand out? The ingredient list is completely underwhelming. No lime, no garlic, no specialty salt? Nothing charred? No seasoning?

Other than the serrano, I don’t see much much there there.

Boring over here. Still doing my Bootcamp winter. Challenge so no chips no dips no booze no tubesteaks no cheeseburgers no ribs no pizza. Trader Joe’s grass fed sirloin and sautéed spinach. Three more days to go!

4 Likes

So far:

10 Likes

Although we have no interest in the outcome of the game, we’ll be watching it with a dinner of wings , celery and carrots, spinach ranch dip, and Chex Mix (which turned out a bit too salty, but we’ll still eat it.) I’ve printed the prop bets and a set of bingo cards to follow along; we’ll see who wins.

5 Likes

I’m sorry :disappointed:

1 Like

Here’s what I think we are finally having:

Me:
-– Arayes (kabab-stuffed pita) with herby yogurt
-– Buffalo chicken momos / gyoza
-– Orange olive oil cake with caramel & rum soaked orange segments

Friend who’s hosting:
— Afghani chicken leg (tangdi) kababs
— Lotus root tempura or crisps (homemade)
— Samosas (frozen)
— Chicken kathi rolls (takeout) if anyone has room left (I’m sure we all will, we love them)

Others:
— Chips & other snacky stuff
— Drinks
— Ice (freezer outage, that’s why I had to make sauce for the cake instead of ice cream)

8 Likes

The overall result. The beauty of recipes is that one can tweak them to one’s liking. I personally have never heard of putting garlic in guac, but given how many variations are out there, I perhaps shouldn’t be surprised.

I added lime (as mentioned in my OG comment), and a healthy dash of cumin. No serrano, bird peppers. Several.

The texture is perfection, and the flavors come together quite wonderfully. Some nice chunks from dicing the avo in its peel, which is what I do when I add it to salads.

Charred? Specialty salts? Seasoning is s&p and whatever else floats your boat.

Between the two of us we’ve polished off 2/3 of it already :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

And then you can eat ALL the things! :smile:

2 Likes