Suggestions for “I get to watch whatever I want” series

Really hard to make recommendations without knowing what floots yer boot. Some recs here I hated, others I loved. @Saregama’s link is def a great start, and one where I’ve found inspiration in the past.

We’re on season 5 of Taskmaster bc of it, and very happily so :slight_smile:

1 Like

Does YouTube count?

I enjoy watching BeardMeatsFood.

It’s like reverse culinary schadenfreude for me.

New episodes every Sunday, and sometimes midweek.

This reminded me - also check out Three Pines on Prime Video. It’s based on the Inspector Gamache series by Louise Penny, and stars Alfred Molina who continues to amaze me at his range.

1 Like

I have read all of the Louise Penny mystery series and love the Three Pines videos. I was surprised how short the drive is from Boston to the Townships in Canada. I hope our family can visit, maybe in the fall when the fires diminish. The Gamache series has a lot about food and when I read one of the mysteries, I want to be able to walk to the bistro and eat what the characters are eating.

2 Likes

Someone shared this here recently - apologies if it was you and I’m being all circular! :joy:

It was definitely not me. And I do think multiple mentions of both the books by Lousie Penny and the video series are a very good thing!

I loved “Our flag means death”…

3 Likes

Same. After I ran out of “Vera” episodes.

1 Like

I started watching Luther tonight. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/luther

1 Like

Oh no! I love that one! I think I’ve seen all the seasons in the link, though. Are you watching new ones?

I’m thinking of this one

2 Likes

Yayyy!

Started with Season 1, Episode 1 , from 2010 (!) tonight!

2 Likes

I was wondering if that was true of “Vera” as well. Maybe not so much the majority of main characters over the he seasons, but the victims and suspects.

I haven’t read the books but I did enjoy Three Pines as a stand-alone show. It is pretty dark, though, which makes sense given the underlying subject matter. I watched Alaska Daily shortly before, similar underlying theme, also a good show. (@LulusMom1 both mystery : drama plus Canadian angle on one, so probably not solo but with LLD…)

(I didn’t find a lot of food content in 3 Pjnes other than a couple of scenes, maybe there’s more in the books and they threw in a scene or 2 for that?)

1 Like

The series is old but they released a movie earlier this year to tie up some of the loose ends. (Made me want to rewatch the series, but it’s quite dark, so I have to be in the right mood.)

1 Like

Tried Vera after the many recs on the other thread, but I couldn’t get into that either. Maybe I need to be in the right mindset to enjoy it.

1 Like

YMMV on the Three Pines. My extended family - readers spread over 4 states - loved the books but HATED the Three Pines on Prime Video. It lacked any of the village charm that warmed the books. The acting was great, the (entirely new) plot line and unrealistic dialogue were a disservice to fans of the books.

2 Likes

I enjoyed Queen Charlotte. Just finished Poker Face and liked the premise of each episode set in a different place and a mystery solved. Heroine is on the run from bad guys so she pops up in different parts of the country and famous guest stars also pop up. Also love the Righteous Gemstones, looking forward to the second season of the Afterparty, love What We Do in the Shadows and Only Murders in the Building both which start up new seasons this month. Both British and American version of Ghosts is excellent and I liked Magpie Murders if you want some British mystery watching.

6 Likes

I see we have similar taste. In addition to some of what’s already been mentioned, of stuff that’s still current-ish, I am also a big fan of Reservation Dogs, A Small Light, The Beef (limited series), Abbott Elementary, The Last of Us, Somebody Somewhere, Stranger Things and The Morning Show. The Great is fun too, if you don’t mind the production design being the best part of it.

1 Like

I was about to recommend Reservation Dogs, Resident Alien, Beef, and some other things… but again - my fancy may be your bore and vice versa.