Suggestions for Bourbon choice?

Maker’s Mark 46 is a step up from regular MM, and I regularly see both at my local Costco. My bourbon of choice for cocktails.

1 Like

I like Jim Beam, but I like Jack Daniels better.

I like George Dickel best. Beam is pretty forward. Dickel, I get that woody TN Whiskey flavor in spades. Heck, I prefer Jameson over all. The most ordered whiskey in the US, I read somewhere. That surprised me. I love Gentleman Jack. Man, is that nice.

Applying ZivBnd’s math to Irish whiskey, we’re all in with Redbreast 12.

I have to try Jameson. I enjoy listening to Dead South and one of their best concerts was what we call the Jameson Set at Red Rocks. I cued the video to Nate taking a quick Jameson break. Now I have two endorsements of Jameson!

Luuuuv the Dead South! Jameson is sort of the antithesis of a bourbon, though. It’s sharp and has just the right bite. You won’t get the wood. Just very clean.

1 Like

My knowledge of Bourbons vs. American Whiskey vs. Canadian Whiskey vs. Irish Whiskey vs. Scotch is sadly lacking. I like Bourbon but I almost always drink Ezra in a mixed drink with Coke or ginger beer. Seriously, it is good with ginger beer! Sometimes I will just put in a splash of soda, too.
Occasionally if I have friends over I will break out the Bulleit, but that bottle can sit in my cupboard unopened for months.
What I ought to do is buy a bunch of 1.5 ounce minis of different whiskeys, bourbons and scotches and do my own taste testing with a friend or two. Preferably a friend that can walk home from my house! LOL!

1 Like

So the offspring came home last night with two bottles of this one. Apparently this is a once a year release at Costco.

He noticed it was flying out of the store so he wandered over ans snagges a couple of bottles on his break for the princely sum of $20 a bottle.

We tried it over a big ice ball.

Damn. This is seriously good bourbon…Baby Jesus in Velvet Slippers smooth and incredibly sippable.

Dont sleep on this one…it may already be gone.

5 Likes

OK, that’s a brilliant description!

Yes, it’s very good.

It’s made by Barton 1792, a well known Kentucky distillery.

3 Likes

Jameson is the cheap Irish whisky I drink at dive bars when I listen to music. It is okay for what it is.

That’s putting it nicely.

Jameson should only be used in cocktails. And even then, sparingly and judiciously.

1 Like

I like Stateman except I think it too low proof at 95 proof. But if that level of proof is OK, then it is a very nice buy. Also good from Old Forrester is 1910, 1920.

1 Like

Or coffee, with whipped cream. And maybe maple syrup

The Full Proof is not the same as the Small Batch, which at $29.99 is stupid cheap. We were getting totally blitzed at Evergreen Liquors near Whiskey Row in Louisville, I mean being educated on the finer points of bourbon, and the 1792 held its own against some mighty high hitters.

In fact, that night we met some of the guys from Breaking Bourbon and they were most helpful and informative. The highlight was an ounce of King of Kentucky for $40 a shot {which is what it goes for in the secondary market if you can find it!} KoK is my all-time favorite whisky and only behind some assorted Darroze and L’Aubert d’Olive Armagnacs as my all-time favorite spirits.

1 Like

I first heard that in France as a descriptor for a red wine.

It seemed to fit!

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

And it ain’t a bourbon. :wink:

3 Likes

I find Bourbon harder to drink than Jameson, so that’s why you don’t see me adding my 2 cents about good or average Bourbon.

I did have some shots of Bulleit last time I was in Wyoming.

I do like Bourbon Balls. :joy:

Double entendre much?

1 Like