Suffering from a sriracha shortage? Here’s why

4 Likes

Are you tell me that we should start stocking up now?

Like yesterday?

Thanks!

Just added a bottle to my list because the one my son uses for eggs is down to about 20%; I’ll see what the situation is at my local later today.

Yesterday they were completely out of half-n-half. They normally have pint-quart-2quart in their own store brand, in Land O’ Lakes, in a high-end local dairy brand, and in the specialty A2-only protein brand (this one only in 2quart). About 10 linear feet of shelf space. Bupkiss.

I may be partly to blame. I have a bottle at home, a bottle at the in laws and a bottle at work.

1 Like

Sounds like you may need an intervention, Chris.

1 Like

@CCE You’re probably right, but they need to get in the queue behind the people who are intervening regarding this…

4 Likes
4 Likes

I’ve been finding plenty of his bottles in the stores, but it was gone for a bit.

1 Like

Has anyone tried to ferment their own chilies and garlic? It’s supposed to be easy. You just chop up a bunch of chilis and let it ferment overtime begore refrigeration etc.

I was thinking about doing so once my bottle of siracha cha cha runs out

Try here

2 Likes

I make a fermented habanero sauce every spring to deter the deer and certain squirrels. When I decant it into my spray bottle I am wise to glove, mask and goggle up! It is probably in the 300K range on the Scoville scale.

1 Like

Evidently it’s now gone again, everywhere. I’m good. My pandemic stash hoarding left me with, I think, an extra bottle besides the one in the fridge.

1 Like

https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/san-francisco-senor-sisig-sriracha-stolen-18156771.php

Has there been an update to this? I have not seen any bottles on the shelves this last week.

The article is a year old. I haven’t seen a shortage of sriracha on store shelves around me (nyc) in a while.

1 Like

San Francisco TV news interviewed restaurant owners who said they loose bottles from the tables, a reporter related “his” place were no longer offering packages.

Oh jeez. Because stealing a bottle from a restaurant is the solution :woman_facepalming:t2:

I should have said I usually look when I’m in Chinatown, and then buy a couple at a time. Last was a couple of weeks ago.

I just posted this in on the ingredients board! I’ll delete it now. I haven’t been able to find it in months (NJ).