Stupid little useful things

Oh my. I’m going to have to use a micrometer to measure my onion dice for dinner tonight. This is going to take FOREVER. grin

2 Likes

https://www.jamonprive.us/choosing-a-good-ham-holder/

I was intrigued.
Not sure whether @Barca agrees…

1 Like

The Wifeacita and I were in Galveston last weekend and got fried Cajun blue crabs. We had our traveling nutcracker kit which beats the flimsy wooden mallet the restaurant gives.

Nutcrackers are great on crabs.

The blackened oysters were also excellent. :oyster: :oyster: :oyster:

7 Likes

Ha Ha Ha !

Don´t forget the Iberian “Pata Negra” from Jabugo, Huelva …

Have a lovely weekend.

2 Likes

Jamón Prive Ham Holders …

I have not had a chance to read the article however, I briefly skimmed the ham holders, and as you can clearly see there is quite a huge difference in the prices.

I would check out Amazon too as well as The José Andrés Website Shop which is also Usa based and highly recommended.

We keep the ham holder on the diningroom table which we do not use daily and of course, the ham is covered well.

I see it is a Usa based company however, do not know if they were produced and exported to the Usa or they were made in the Usa …

I shall read it tonite and this way I can mention my views.

Have a nice wkend.

2 Likes

Off topic perhaps, but I was too!

@Barca, do people often have whole hams in there homes there? Where do they keep them? The article says they should be kept at 10-18 Celsius (50-64.4 f). I assume entertaining a lot would change things, but how long does one typically last?

3 Likes

@bbqboy

During the most important holidays of the year, beginning the 23rd of December - the 7th of January, those who eat Iberian Ham, would and especially if they were having guests …

Restaurants do have Iberian Ham and they are air conditioned …

How long does an Iberian Ham last ? This cannot be answered. It all depends on size of family, how often it is eaten, and how much is used – there are classic dishes which call for “tacos of ham”, which are tiny chunks and used on top of a vegetable for example (green beans or peas) …

So it all depends … also common in “montados” - a tiny bread roll with ham and tomato or ham or used in omelettes. It depends on the quality of the ham too …

For us, it is sliced very very very thinly and served as is … And usually paired with a Jerez de la Frontera Sherry Fino or a Cava or Champagne …

High quality ham, is not used to sprinkle on vegetables.

This is another factor.

7 Likes

Thank you @Barca . I eat it just sliced from the leg wherever and whenever I can, but it’s usually at places that sell it.
Here’s an old picture from a tasting on a tour.

I’ve never been to someone’s home in Spain.

I was wondering if it could “spoil”. Say you kept it in your home, on the table in a room about 65 f. Could it theoretically be good to eat for weeks? Months? For as long as it lasts?

6 Likes

I usually eat it at my parents or grandparents homes.

I have to ask them … Another point to remember is that these Iberian hams have been air dried for a very lengthy time and if wrapped properly in “cheese paper” and then covered, one can have their ham for quite some time.

We do not usually buy one unless we are having guests or visitors over the Christmas Season, as we normally would go up and spend the 2 weeks at our apartment on the Cape close to my parents condominium.

We eat it at a bar on occasion. The one on our diningroom table - was a gift from our sons.

It is approx 2 to 3 months in age.

4 Likes

I could eat this way almost every day and be so damn happy.

6 Likes

I enjoy it occasionally …

It depends on the type of Iberian ham as there are 4 main designations of origin:

Jabugo, Huelva
Dehuesa, Badajoz, Extremadura
Teruel, Áragon
Salamanca (Jamón Serrano)

Have a nice weekend.

2 Likes

Sorry I am in Centigrade or Celsius degrees …

I have little idea what 65 degrees farenheit is in our system.

Josélito is a well known brand …

The way they packaged in this photograph, it is for refrigeration … Then it shall have a “caduca” date = expiration date.

18 C

3 Likes

We can google the weather and recipes; book flights and make reservations online; translate speech into a dozen languages but converting F to C and visa versa is our achilles’ heel. As a species we are surely doomed. :joy:

:exploding_head: Maybe not! :pray:

6 Likes

Thank you, and I’m sorry; I thought of that, and that’s why I put the range in my original reply. When I read the link, I did have an idea ( I use both in my work), but I did look up the conversion to be sure. I should try to put both measures.

3 Likes

A silly millimeter longer :wink:

3 Likes

:open_mouth: I know that! 101? :thinking: Benson & Hedges?

2 Likes

The right answer is C = (F - 32) * 5 / 9. Close enough is subtract 30 and divide the remainder in half.

Would anyone like that in Kelvin or Rankine?

I just google.
x F to C

Thank you though! :blush:

I can subtract 30 and halve on the fly in my head while I’m talking and look smart. grin

ETA: Let’s not forget that Americans (F) are the outliers on a big planet (C).