Stupid little useful things

Not stupid now, but I’ve always had an N95 mask in the kitchen for working with super hot chilis.

9 Likes

I bought a set of espresso cups and saucers for espresso, but like the ramekins and butter pats and cazuelas and sauce dishes in this thread I use them more for mise-en-place than for coffee, especially the little saucers. They don’t take up a lot of room in the dishwasher either, which is nice.

9 Likes

I have scissors like that without the comb. They are great to cut up stuff when you don’t feel like shredding

4 Likes

Like Chris, we also have lots of ramekins, repurposed from Gu desserts.

3 Likes

Very old ovenrack puller from great great aunt Emma! Lives with the toaster oven. And some old weights that get a lot of use in the kitchen.

9 Likes

You’ll have to share what you use the weights for. :slightly_smiling_face:

That oven rack puller – is this from before the invention of oven mitts? I’m now so curious!

If you don’t have a cast iron press, one of these (or both!) would be good for a pressed panino on a grill pan! Just wrap them with foil for easy cleanup.

1 Like

Just thought of another one. I got a package of 6 aluminum baking nails countless moons ago when I was first out on my own (I’m talking maybe 40 years ago?). I’ve never used all 6 of them at the same time, and one of them is slightly chewed up after having unknowingly fallen into the disposal and I turned it on), but baking potatoes without one shoved through the center of a fat Idaho Russet, EVEN in my Breville Convection toaster oven, is a non-starter for me.

(This is not my package of nails, but looks like them)

11 Likes

Wooden Iberian Ham Holder for Slicing Covered with Black towelling.

6 Likes

I also have a stack of old weights; I use them to press tofu.

3 Likes

Thanks.
I think Ham Holder is destined to be my new screen name.
:cowboy_hat_face:

8 Likes

I just had a perfect 7 minute egg for breakfast, I use a push pin to poke a hole in the egg.

5 Likes

I mostly use the weights for paneer and other random uses that don’t come to mind right now.
I can’t imagine that oven mitts weren’t around when the oven puller came to be. Maybe some old old ovens were fiery so the mitts could get scorched??

1 Like

Somebody makes this for the same purpose, to pull out oven rack.
(For some reason the photo does not show at the moment.)

https://i.imgur.com/LXPNZkt.jpg

(imgur is probably busy. Hopefully the photos will appear soon)

Same! I have very little counter and cupboard space so I use little dishes and cups for many things. Some of them are random bits and pieces of East German porcelain called “Blau Saks”/“Saxon Blue”.

This is a saucer

An old-fashioned butter dish (comes with nice lid). Not long ago butter used to be round.

Lidded round butter in the background has soup!

A coffee cup

I save all the terracotta dishes for the same reason

Same terracotta dish(es)

Wicker baskets double as bread baskets (when not using for proofing dough)!

I use an old metal container (Portuguese olive oil) as a holder for a bunch of things such as pasty brushes, chopsticks (for eating crisps), nut/crab cracker etc.

2 Likes

Classico spaghetti sauce jars for storing dry ingredients, cereal, candy, etc.; for holding small tall utensils like iced tea spoons, chopsticks, and straws; as measuring cups (they have 1/2 cup gradations on the side); and as blender jars because their screwtop is exactly the same as the screw on our blender blade holder.

5 Likes

I find them very valuable because I have a hard time estimating (for instance) how much parsley I need to stem in order to chop one tablespoon. With the scissors, I just keep snipping 'til I get there. It’s also good if you’re super-anal about all your chive pieces being exactly the same size. I hear some people are like that.

7 Likes

I really don’t know how folk live with themselves if they have uneven chive pieces. It’s just gross. Really gross.

8 Likes

There oughta be a law.

2 Likes

:::making a mental note to chop the chives in my dinner tonight as uniformly as I can::: :astonished::wink:

4 Likes