Stock pots: Disk vs Clad?

I need to invest in some stock pots. I’m looking at Fissler, Demeyere Atlantis, Falk Copper Core, and Lagostina Lagofusion. I realize these lines are largely overkill for a stock pot and that a thin one might even be preferable as you don’t really need evenness for thin liquids because of the convection current the will form. But I’m thinking about situations where I might be cooking thicker liquids or stews as well or braises.

Has this topic --disk vs. clad for stock pots-- been debated in the forum yet? My gut feeling is that clad won’t really offer anything for the vast majority of stock pot use cases, except perhaps faster downward response due to additional conductive material to draw heat away from the base… which I don’t think is particularly important for what you typically cook in stock pots, i.e. nothing delicate.

I would get a Demeyere Atlantis stock pot.

Ha! The folks here who have strong opinions have debated this endlessly.

I’m in the camp that believes stock benefits from sidewall heat, something that disk-based pots don’t really deliver. The benefit comes in the form of more and more complex convection currents.

Clad pots do deliver some sidewall heat. But most clad’s conductive cores are relatively thin, and most are less conductive (aluminum) than the overall thickness might suggest.

I believe thick, straightgauge aluminum and copper are the best constructions for making stocks. But choices and retail offerings are few. I would check restaurant supply sites for aluminum, and eBy and Etsyfor copper. There is an aluminum line called Point Two Five that you might want to investigate.

For clad, I would suggest Falk Coer. In your case (using “diffusers” on gas), the only sidewall heat you’ll be getting is up through the base anyway (no hot exhaust licking the sides), so you probably want copper in any clad core.

Good luck.

1 Like

In my experience, conductive walls help with a deep batch of stock as well as thicker soups of any depth.

1 Like

Having used thick straightgauge aluminum (Alegacy Eagleware 5 mm) as well as thick disc-based SS cookware (Paderno Grand Gourmet, 7 mm base), I can safely say I prefer to make stock in the Paderno, for two simple reasons: (1) it is nonreactive and, and (2) it has a built-in faucet for decanting the stock into a separate vessel once it’s finished cooking.

In my experience conductive sidewalls make a minimal difference to convection currents. Clad and straightgauge vessels often shed so much heat from their sidewalls that it’s harder to maintain a steady temperature, and of course a higher heat input is required, which is somewhat wasteful in terms of energy consumption, as well.

Having adequate depth to submerge all of the solids at a low simmer (~185-190°F) is what’s most important, and secondly being able to strain the stock from the solids as quickly as possible once cooking has finished helps maintain clarity and brighter (rather than muddy) flavors.

Just to be clear, I do appreciate decanting the stock into a large-volume clad pot once it’s time to chill in a sink full of ice water while stirring with a Rapi-Kool paddle.

I used to believe in full clad. Now, i think it is probably not the most impactful aspect. I think it comes down to if you are cooking something thick and viscous, which then the sidewall heating help a little more.

1 Like

I tend to use clad/copper for stock and thick items. However, if you are using the stockpot simply to boil (pasta, potatoes, etc), the Demeyere will have a slightly faster time to boil (I ran an experiment).

1 Like

I use a disc based pot for boiling/simmering water/thin liquids. For thicker stuff like stews or sauces with solids (like my cioppino which has stacked seafoods - in order of cooking time) I get much better results from clad.

1 Like

Bigfoot Believe

1 Like

Disk is fine. If you don’t think the sidewalls get hot on one, please, feel free to put both palms on one about an hour in. You’ll burn the $hit out of your hands.

The most important thing about the stock pot is what you put in it. It’s not a garbage dump.

Thick-walled vessels are only needed on unreliable sources of heat or if you’re cooking in or near an open wood fire where temp changes need to be buffered.

1 Like

Any higher than about 1" from the disk, any sidewall heat is flowing outward from the stock, not into it.

1 Like

Stick your hand in the stock, grab the pot from the outside, whatever you need to do to convince yourself it’s hot.

They called me Mr. Partial Differential Equation when I was an undergrad.

Thanks all. I’m processing the conversation. I have some follow up questions for debate:

1. Is there any noticeable value to double-walled pot lids for stock pots? I was looking at the Demeyre Silver7 and John Pawson lines (both of which have double walled lids), but dislike the handles on both versus the Atlantis lines.
  2. To expand the question, what are the preferences here for clad vs. disk on sauce pans and rondeaus/sautees?

Thanks!

Thanks! How does it help, specifically, in your views?

Thanks! Will update you folks with what I decide. Lots of options it seems.

Are you looking for something thick and heavy?? Maybe consider enameled cast iron?? I use my dutch oven for a myriad of tasks.
I also have am enameled cast iron braiser (that I use) when a rondeau would traditionally be used.
After Christmas, I might try to pick up the Amazon Basics 7.3 quart enamel dutch oven for larger jobs (when I want to freeze portions for later meals)

1.) I have both glass and single wall stainless lids. I have never noticed an issue with them… but then I have never used a pot with a double walled lid.

2.) Same as a stock pot. If you do thick sauces (and/or ones with proteins and/or veggies in them) you’ll get better results with clad. Same with sautés… especially if your ingredients come in contact with the side walls.

Since we are talking about a wide range of constructions, materials, and price, it might be worthwhile to cruise Etsy or Ebay for deals on tinned copper. It is pretty, conducts and spreads heat superbly, and might outlive you and your heirs. I set a stock to a “smile” with a slightly cracked lid, and it holds, steady, as long as it takes, with a discernible turnover but no bubbles.

I don’t make the ultra large stocks, but when I make stock I use my 7.2 liter Fissler Original Profi 28 cm pot.

I can sear the meat and vegetables first in it, instead of using the oven, so I save using one cooking vessel and the stock evaporates fast enough, so I don’t have to cook it for dozen of hours (even though some find that a plus).

I mainly cook stock for 2-3 sauces/soups, so I rarely freeze it down unless I make Demi glacé cubes.

Whether or not clad walls is a plus when making stock, I’ll never bother to find out. It has to simmer away for hours anyway. If clad walls in stock pots were significantly better, I think top Michelin star restaurants would probably use it instead of their cheap stainless steel walled restaurant supply stock pots.

Unless you just like quality in all your cooking vessels, I would probably go with a cheap Padermo stock pot.

If you do like quality in every pot you own, including a stock pot, I would get a Falk 2.5 copper stock pot (since I know you cook on gas), a Fissler Original Profi stock pot or a Demeyere Atlantis stock pot.

2 Likes

These days I mostly cook using Fissler Original Profi for saucepans and stockpots (from 20 to 28 cm), Mauviel and Falk stainless steel lined copper for saucepans and saute pans (up until say 24 cm diameter), and then Le Creuset enameled cast iron for dutch ovens (from 20 up until 26 cm diameter) and for larger saute pans (28 cm).

If I had to downsize my kitchen equipment, I would keep these brands/pans and get rid of the rest. I cook on gas, and have used almost every high end cookware that is out there including clad.

3 Likes