Stand Mixer: Cuisinart v. KitchenAid

Sounds like a dream

1 Like

I apologize as I may have missed it, but which one did you get?

The sale on the KA is over, right?

I love it.

People who bake a lot of bread, especially large batches, sing the praises of the Ankarsrum.

I asked on a message board for mixer owners how they liked it for cakes, cookies and pastry.

I was told that the mixer bowl for sweets is made of plastic. For this reason, I’m sticking with KitchenAid.

1 Like

I think that if most of what you use it for is large batches of bread, both the Braun and Ankarsrum do a better job.

But I use mine just as often (or even more) for shredding meats, mixing both large and small batches of ingredients for chili/falafel/fillings/sauces/dips/etc., mashing veggies, and more… and while I have never used the Ankarsrum, I have used the Braun and found it rather finicky (plus way too many plastic/fragile parts).

Obviously you gotta do what is best for you, but for me the KA is most versatile for what I do.

1 Like

I saw a Cuisinart box arrive today that I wasn’t supposed to know about :blush:. Birthday soon.

4 Likes

Happy Birthday!

Are you now finally legally allowed to drink?

3 Likes

Plus about 20 years. Ha :rofl:

2 Likes

Very nice to know a mind reader! Happy imminent birthday. My wife’s is also imminent, and she will be receiving a kitchen item (and something else). It reminds me of the kid getting his mom a catcher’s mitt.

3 Likes

30 years from now, someone on HO will buy this at a thrift shop and say, “You see! In the good old days, they made things with quality. No one makes a mixer like Ankarsrum anymore”

But little do they realize that back in the good old days, the Ankarsrum was something like 2-3x the price of a typical mixer back in the “good old days”.

Sigh.

4 Likes

My grandfather gave my grandmother a Jeep for her birthday…in the 1960s…a real Jeep with no roof. For him to drive around their “farm” in the country outside Raleigh, NC. My grandmother was not pleased. My grandfather loved his Jeep.

4 Likes

Never gift your wife a vacuum cleaner!

If I buy a gift for someone that I really want for myself, I just buy one for me, too.

3 Likes

Dad was the one who bought the kitchen appliances in our family. I think mother bought the Swing-Away can opener. I don’t think she appreciated the appliances or gadgets, she was more the ‘objet d’art’ type. No bling for her, either. I got the 1982 era Cuisinart food processor, still in the box, after she passed 15 or so years later. She never used it. Dad bought it for her so she wouldn’t have such a hard time chopping and such with her arthritis. I’m not sure if she was afraid of it or just preferred toughing it out by hand. I bought them the huge carousel microwave in 1985. She used it for warming cat food. (Yes, that is something we do for our elderly cats.)

4 Likes

Don’t use my FP for much either. Definitely for things like graham crackers for crusts, bread crumbs, etc. But unless I need a large batch (almost never), I much prefer slicing/chopping/mincing by hand.

Hate cleaning it, and just get way more consistent results from a knife.

5 Likes

I use that old workhorse mostly for grating cheese, making compound butters and some pie crusts. I like the zen of chopping veggies.

2 Likes

lucky cats! I used to once in a while get canned crab for my cat friend, who lived with my neighbors and spent lots of time with me. That was over 35 years ago. I feel a bit guilty because maybe it was bad for her. She loved shellfish! She loved fish! She was not interested in chicken or beef cat food. She loved Oceanfish Friskies dry food (I know, not such a healthy choice)…

2 Likes

I found a Cuisinart for a great price at Macy’s eons ago. Used a couple of times but it took longer to assemble and clean than it takes me to do the work. Sold it when we moved to Europe and have never missed it.

An ex-bf yold me I needed one because its so much faster. He brought it over one night and i had 3 onions peeled and diced before he got the thing assembled, peeled the onions, fed them in, and got it all cleaned up. He was peeved for a few days.

3 Likes

It is only faster if the prep job is quite large. I do use mine (with shredding blade) when making a large casserole (shredding potatoes) or vegetable fried rice (large batch - shredding/chopping/slicing) all of the vegetables.
As far as cleanup, I throw the whole thing in the dishwasher (except the base).
3 onions is kind of my limit, if a recipe calls for more than 3 onions… I’ll use a chopper or food processor otherwise – knife and cutting board.

Tim’s first law of food processors and dishwashers: If the meal requires the use of a food processor it will also require more dishes and tools, too many for the food processor parts, dishes, and other tools to fit in the dishwasher appropriately.

Tim’s second law of food processors and dishwashers: An overloaded dishwasher blocks the sprayer pattern, and food processor parts used for pastry or cheese will come out with baked on pastry or cheese, requiring far more manual cleaning.

2 Likes

Yes… I’m always careful how I load mine – making sure the sprayer arms can reach all areas on all of the dishes, etc.
If things appear too tight in there, I’ll just run a second load in the morning.

Yes, I recently had a casserole dish that I soaked overnight. I’ll do a quick manual cleaning and inspection (this morning) and it can go through the dishwasher with tonight’s dishes.

2 Likes