Spring Quarter (Apr-June) 2024 COTM NOMINATIONS

Hello, friends! Welcome to nominations for our inaugural Quarterly COTM. We’re trying something new here following a lot of conversation among participants in February and some logistics discussion by your coordinators.

PLEASE READ THROUGH THIS POST BEFORE NOMINATING.

What are we aiming for? In selecting more than one book to cook from over a longer period of time, the hope is that more people can fit COTM into their everyday lives in ways that suit them without pressure. We’re going for at least two and no more than three books reflecting a variety of styles – more straightforward options that help folks get meals on the table without too much fuss and more involved books, whether technique-heavy or deep dives into new cuisines, as well as those that bridge the gap – so please keep variety in mind as you make your nominations.

What is the selection process? If there are two or three clear frontrunners among the nominations that reflect some variety of style and, ideally, cuisine, we’ll skip the formal vote and make them our selections. If necessary, we’ll move on quick to tie-breaking votes. (Please note that ensuring variety of style may affect how I narrow nominations down.)

To nominate, type titles in ALL CAPS. (If you’re discussing a book rather than nominating a book, please use standard capitalization for clarity.) As always, please nominate with the intention of cooking along and reporting on your experience should one or more of your nominations be selected.

NOMINATIONS WILL CLOSE on SATURDAY, MARCH 23 at 7PM EDT/4 PM PDT.

For a list of previous COTM titles, check the archive.

2 Likes

I don’t own this book, and haven’t even looked at it, but I keep seeing reviews on EYB that sound wonderful: TENDERHEART.

I know @MelMM is a fan, as she has nominated it several times!

Ok, in the vein of “more involved” - GUNPOWDER

I will second TENDERHEART

RUKMINI IYER quarter, encompassing all her Roasting Tin books.

SALAD FREAK by Jess Damuck.
I’ve been interested in this book since reading the recipe reviews from the cookbook a month ladies. You can read them here: https://cookbookamonth.wordpress.com/category/jess-damuck-salad-freak/

1 Like

RUKMINI IYER is seconded.

1 Like

I thought I owned this on kindle but i’m not seeing it right now. If my library has it, I would certainly give SALAD FREAK a try.

Thanks for introducing me to this website.

How do envision that working with our new format? If we had only Rukmini Iyer books, it would not provide the diversity we are hoping to get with this change. If we have all of them plus two more selections, it would be way too many books. Would it be possible to just do one of them?

1 Like

Thanks @stockholm28 for posting that review. I looked for Salad Freak in a bookstore today and somehow it came home with me. I thought I had broken that habit!! I am particularly looking forward to July-September with it and wonder if it shouldn’t wait till then. But there are also intriguing winter salads. This book will work best for those with access to really good produce (not me, outside of our short growing season) and lots of soft herbs. An annoying (to me) thing is she lists eggs under “dairy”. But tons of great ideas and gorgeous photos!

2 Likes

I was just able to get Salad Freak as an ebook loan from my library; I’m very strict with myself about not buying more books!!

I agree I’d prefer this book for July-September so will nominate then.

1 Like

OK, I’m a little late to the game. I’ve been in a 6-day pottery workshop in Tallahassee, just finished up today. And i am sooooo tired, but it was awesome. Anyway, books… I’d love to do an Indian book, but not Gunpowder, which has to be the least veg-friendly Indian book I’ve ever seen. But maybe one of these:
DISHOOM
CHAAT, by Maneet Chauhan
INDIAN FOR EVERYONE, by Anupy Singla
PRASHAD, by Kaushy Patel
PANGAT, by Saee Koranne-Khandekar
or maybe a classic like LORD KRISHNA’S CUISINE, by Yamuna Devi
or better yet, DAKSHIN by Chandra Padmanabhan
Or a fusion book like I AM FROM HERE, by Vishwesh Bhatt

I’d still like to do the newish Satterfield book, VEGETABLE REVELATIONS
POLISH’D: Modern Vegetarian Cooking from Global Poland, by Michal Korkoz
CHINESE HOMESTYLE by Maggie Zhu
THE VEGAN CHINESE KITCHEN by Hannah Che
MEZCLA, by Ixta Belfrage
PERSIANA, by Sabrina Ghayour (I’d be open to any of her books, but I’m just picking one).
ISRAELI SOUL, by Michael Solomonov

3 Likes

I’m not sure how we’d pick just one of the roasting tin books.

Maybe just go with the first one, as it is most likely to be available to people? At any rate. only the first two have US editions (called Dinner’s in the Oven and Vegetarian Dinner’s in the Oven), so those any others will not be available in American libraries.

Lord Krishma’s Cuisine is one of the greatest books ever written. Plus it would take months to work through it

POOR GIRL GOURMET
MESA MEXICANA
ENDLESS SUMMER is a complete sentence

Given we are extending time from 1 to 3 months, is there some reason we wouldn’t be able to do Rukmini Iyer Quarter rather than 1 of the books, as we were doing XYZ author month previously?

I imagine this would be the “easier” / get dinner on the table category.

1 Like

TENDERHEART
THE VEGAN CHINESE KITCHEN by Hannah Che
MEZCLA, by Ixta Belfrage
SABRINA GHAYOUR MONTH, including/or PERSIANA
MICHAEL SOLOMONOV MONTH, including/or ISRAELI SOUL
JENN LOUIS MONTH, including/or THE BOOK OF GREENS and PASTA BY HAND