Spicy Chile Crisp

Yesterday, I cooked Chow Fen ( soft wide rice noodle English translation differs depending on dialect ) using stir fried vegetables ( chinese broccoli, bean sprouts, caramelized onion, asparagus and snow peas) mixed with oyster sauce, chili crisp , rice wine etc etc. Then, I cooked the chinese soft rice noodle which I purchased on Tuesday ( soft when I purchased it but stiffed in fridge). in the microwave for 2 minutes, added the XO sauce. and mixed it with the vegetables. It was superb. I gave my neighbor most of the the left over ( her daughter in law is newly diagnosed to suffer from gluten enteropathy )but kept a bit for myself. I told my neighbor if her DIR likes the food,( she dislike spicy food) I still had a pack of the rice noodle that I will give her. Since I did not receive any comment( did call my friend but she says the DIR did not comment about the food, after eating the left over for lunch, seeing I was still hungry, I decided to just nook the noodle in the microwave add a bit of the XO, eat it as such the way it is. It was wonderful ! A lot of dum sum place offer it just the way it is in this picture I will enclose.
https://www.google.com/search?q=chang+fen+(+rice+noodle+roll)&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=vO7bAVqv31bjFM%3A%2C6oH_UEB7mmrOwM%2C%2Fm%2F02p8sg4&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kS9v-OORfqACNYBcYPK51MQpe5GdA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjaz8iL6_7lAhVNw1kKHQ4_DWkQ_B0wG3oECAsQAw#imgrc=vO7bAVqv31bjFM:

3 Likes

I love rice noodle rolls! I didn’t realize you could by the dough!

Yes, they come as rolls where I buy them at the Asian stores in Va but in Md, they come in square sheets folded over 2-3X so I cut them into strips.
I used to buy them on Friday afternoons at the Rockville stores bec they arrive fresh from NY and are soft and pliable but realized that even if they are kept a few days and become hard, they just become soft and ready to eat once microwaved and gosh, the XO sauce is great with it just eaten that way without vegetables. A lot of Chinese eat it as breakfast but I guess , not with spicy sauce.

2 Likes

Yes the plain noodles are available in Chinatown in nyc too

Re no comment - can I just say that I find that rude and annoying. People should at least say thank you or express some emotion over it. It is such a generous gesture to share.

Even with my own mom and aunt, with whom there is zero formality (and I can be my most childish self), as I started cooking myself I realized how good it feels for someone to express any response related to the food - good, bad, whatever - so whenever someone cooks for me I am verbally grateful and complimentary. It is a an act of love or generosity or kindness, and I am thankful for it whenever it happens, even if the food is not exactly to my taste.

So I thank you on her behalf!

4 Likes

thank you.
You are so kind. I would also pay compliment to your mother for bringing you up properly.
I really think not everybody is brought up properly this day and age
Growing up, every male or female not related to me , we have to address them as uncle and aunt. Any one as old as my grandparents are addressed as granduncle and grandaunts and I have to kiss their hands when they visit. That is how I was brought up.
It does not matter how tired or sick I am but if I receive a phone call or email, I aways respond as I feel it is rude not to do so unless I am so sick that I cannot even type or hold a phone as what happened for 18 days in September.

2 Likes

Went to an asian market today and got the crispy chili oil (along with dark soy, oyster, ginger and fish sauces all of which I am acquainted). Can’t wait to cook with it. I love trying out new flavors. Thank you to those above who introduced me to it.

3 Likes

Stopped in to a nearby Kroger early this afternoon intending to buy pea pods and bean sprouts to flesh out a stir fry I intended for dinner. Struck out on both! Did find this in stock:

Words fail me after sampling this tonight. Just an amazing food product!

3 Likes

What is the difference between Lao Gan Ma Spicy Chili Crisp and the Lao Gan Ma Fried Chili in Oil?

I believe there is a comparison in here somewhere.

2 Likes

Rich Table in SF has been selling jars of their chili crisp for $10 via Water2table, pretty big jar too. It’s a delicious, locally made alternative for those who want to support a local business.

2 Likes

That link wasn’t all that helpful, but my work day has ended, and im looking for a better one.

Not much better, but i’m sharing anyway.

Also may not answer the question but still interested.

Aaaaand Woks Of Life! Nice story, but still no mention of Lao Gan Ma Fried Chili in Oil.

2 Likes

I had a panic that we would have a spicy chili crisp shortage 2 weeks ago. I finished my jar and walked to 3 local Asian markets in my 'hood – not one jar of spicy chili crisps to be found. Found plenty of the fried chili oil and the chili with black bean variants, but no spicy chili crisps on their shelves. I’ve been eating this stuff like crazy mixed with noodles, while I’m working from home, so I moved into a mini-freak out. How can I have survived pasta shortages, dairy shortages, egg shortages, and frozen veggie shortages, but my downfall would be spicy chili crisps?!

But it might have just been a shipment or distributor delay, because this past weekend, they restocked on the spicy chili crisps and all was good. I’ve tried the fried chili oil and I can only say that it is primarily a texture difference for me. There is a little bit more of the crunch with the crisps, and you get these big soft peanut (?) like things in the fried chili oil that I don’t find adds anything to the condiment.

5 Likes

I really like all the different types, and do love the crunch of the spicy chile crisp. However, I think my favorite is actually LGM hot Chile sauce with peanuts, fried tofu, and small chunks of rutabaga. The texture was a little unexpected at first, but love it and the flavor now

@kobuta, happy the crisp crisis is over and you’re restocked.

3 Likes

I think I found them!

Unfortunately I was there for XO sauce, which they no longer carry.

3 Likes

Hmm…that’s an interesting translation. :sweat_smile: But maybe this is used for something very specifically in Korean cuisine. I’m sure they are similar, with some differences in thickness and texture.

If you like rice rolls, most of what I see is similar to @ccj’s picture. They’re pre-rolled into the shape you find in restaurants and you can steam them whole if you prefer them long, or cut them up into more bite-sized blocks. If you want chow fun, the wider rice noodles, then you can find them in that shape too - pre-cut into long strips. Usually these rice rolls or noodles are oily, when sold fresh, to keep them from sticking,

1 Like

Do you ever read the reviews of a recipe where someone comments on it after changing 10 things around from how it’s written? And you are so irritated at them? Hangs head. Ok, I am about to do that. Based on this thread, I just obtained a jar of angry grandma, and given that I had it, tried it, and the spice didn’t kill me (I’m usually not terribly spice tolerant), I tried it out in a recipe from #lambchop.

It was quite delicious. Here are the subs I made. Rice noodles instead of wheat. 2x scallion and no cilantro. A little less oil for the garlic, but added about a tbsp of sesame oil to the sauce. Ginger grated and heated with the garlic to remove a little of its bite. Finally, sweet soy instead of dark soy. I like the balance of a little sweetness with my heat. Personally. So aside from those few little things, I followed the recipe to a tee! :slight_smile: Very tasty. And as you can see, forgiving of alterations.

4 Likes

The ones that bother me are those who make all of the alterations and then give low ratings because they didn’t like what they ended up with. Positive results like yours aren’t bad, it just means you riffed on the original.

3 Likes

Yeah, nothing wrong with some customization, I say. Food is all about making it the way I like it. Some people though pretty much change up the whole recipe, and that amuses me more than anything.

Well hey, look what I came across.

EVERY LAO GAN MA EXPLAINED.

That’s right. They bought every one, ate them with rice (and an egg), and ranked them. :joy:

(My own personal favorites are the chilli crisp - which people often think they are buying but they actually buy the fried chili in oil by mistake, and the mushroom one, though I have 3-4 others that I bought at some point that get used now and then. I also learned that the chilli crisp is the love child of the crispy chili snack - like TJs is currently stocking - and chilli oil)

6 Likes

Really this is awesome I have to make it at home. can anyone help me?