Spicy Chile Crisp

I’ve been loving the tomato one recently – not quite as overpowering as the standard chili crisp and a bit of a tangy edge to it.

That was one I don’t have that intrigued me - have to keep an eye out for it.

The original one with peanuts and beancurd is also very good - the peanuts bring something different to the mix.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s great – I’ve definitely never ever treasure hunted for the peanuts…

1 Like

Are there brands you all like other than grandma (i.e. Laoganma)? After 3 jars, that one tastes musty to me, although I like the concept a lot.

I like Fly by Jing a lot.

4 Likes

I’ve always wondered if this is worth the premium per jar they charge vs the Laoganma brand. Is there anything particularly different about the Fly by Jing brand vs other jarred varieties from the markets?

I have a bad track record of getting jars of Laoganmna that taste musty or rancid, as @Sasha describes. Luckily the very first one I had was great and turned me on to the whole genre. As it happens, in Mid-Coast Maine it’s easier to source Fly By Jing than Laoganma or any other brand so it all works out for me.

2 Likes

I find fly by jing to be much less spicy and one-note-msg-y than LGM. IMO it has more subtle flavors and layering of heat, not dominating dishes like I find LGM does. Is it worth the markup? I’d say yes, as it’s a more "premium"product in ways that go far beyond labeling and signaling. I also don’t consider them to be substitutes - different use cases in my kitchen.

2 Likes