Spicy Chile Crisp

We always have a jar of the stuff. Great with eggs, noodles, fried rice, and dumplings. I like to mix some with soy sauce, sesame oil and rice wine vinegar for a dumpling/potsticker dipping sauce too.

2 Likes

That seems to be a different product. I have seen both at my local H-Mart, have tried both, slightly different ingredients. Actually compared the two yesterday.

what was the result of. your comparison?
I like the spicy hili crisp better. I had both of them at one time and now just use the spicy chili crisp.
Less oily and if I need to, I add EVOO.

Some more options.

The 5 Best Chile Crisp Sauces You Can Buy Online-Epicurious

Man I tried the Happy Lady sauce and I just don’t get it. It has no heat or spice and tastes of meat to me.

One of my fave YouTube channels is Chinese Cooking Demystified. The latest episode has a recipe for chill but also delves a little into the history of this delicious product.

3 Likes

Trader Joe’s is now carrying Chili Crisp. I bought some but haven’t tried it yet, as I still have some of the Laoganma jar left.

1 Like

Totally different flavor. I love both.

3 Likes

good to know!

Was at Dulles yesterday Took the opportunity to replenish my supply of sauces . Chili crisp among them although I still have 2 jars in my kitchen.

I also found XO that is vegetarian, can no longer use the ones from HK and was thinking of making my own , though I have all the ingredients and dried shrimp but not the dried scallops which I found to be about $130/pound.

Anyway, bought 3 kinds of oyster sauce, and Sichuan spicy sauce with shrimp as I could not find the shrimp paste that I like.

2 Likes

I’m the OP. I bought 2 jars. I tasted the first jar, I think on chicken, don’t really recall, I threw the jars away, not my thing. Not sure what the appeal is, but I like spicy and the “chile” name is misleading. I don’t want to yuk your yum, but advise newbies to buy just one jar and taste first.

2 Likes

@ccj would you mind posting a picture of the jar? I’ll look for it in Chinatown when I’m there next. Thank you!

I have this mushroom chili crisp (that needs to be kept in the fridge… ask me how I know…):

1 Like

I have always kept my sauces in fridge once they are opened. Did. you have problem leaving it outside?
My son does not want to eat mushroom so, I try not to buy anything with mushroom. The Jan Jan sauce I bought has mushroom printed on the label but when I cooked at the ingredients, there is no mushroom.
Here are some pictures. I bought 3 packages of chinese soft noodles,( chow fan, ) and would like to cook them with using these sauces as trial, with snow peas, asparagus, a small amount of bean sprout ( this addd moisture to the dish) some left over chinese broccoli ( I stir fry the stems first), and some left over Napa cabbage. Hope they will be good.I a going to try the vegetables with oyster sauce, and perhaps arm up the rice noodles in microwave, add the XO then mix them all together. I always like the Lao Man Ga spicy chili crisp. ( I wander why I did not get charged for it? Will add th at if I feel I need more heat.
Here are prices. I hope they are good, I got it from Great Wall, the Chinese Grocery Store
spicy noodle sauce- 2.79
premium oyster sauce 5.99
Jan Jan vegetarian XO - 3.99
Sichuan broad bean sauce - 4.99 ( I usually get the fermented broad bean sauce but want to try this)
I have lots of black beans in chili sauce in my pantry
Lao Man Ga Chili crisp ( excellent!!!)

4 Likes

I invited my neighbor for lunch. Stir fried vegetables ( caramelized onions, chinese broccoli stems sliced diagonally, leaves to follow, a little bean sprouts, then asparagus and snow peas add the oyster sauce with scallops , rice wine and some chili crisp, Set that aside, added Evoo to the wok, shredded the cooked maple duck legs from Maple Farm with garlic, caramelized onion, nook the chow fan in microwave till soft after slicing it, add the XO, then back to wok with more Evoo, more oyster sauce to taste, mix everything together, a bit of soy sauce and was damn good!
No pictures taken. Gave the rest for neighbor to bring home for her daughter , newly diagnosed gluten enteropathy .

4 Likes

Sounds delicious. I use Oyster sauce, fish sauce, Light Soy, Dark Soy (sweeter), sesame oil and chicken stock to make my vermicelli (bean threads). Never used the Jan Jan vegetarian XO, chili crisp or the Sichuan broad bean sauce. I’ll have to try those

2 Likes

I like oyster sauce on my vegetables and fried rice
Have never tried the Jan Jan vegetarian XO till today, was good, nothing compared to the XO with scallops and chinese ham but there is a huge price difference as well as for the fact that I cannot tolerate red meat as of October 2018.
I use broad bean sauce, soy sauce etc when I marinade, but not the Sichuan broad bean sauce. new item today.
For bean threads, I like to use Costco’s marinaded wild more salmon , reserve the marinade, pan fry the salmon, skin side down, then peel the salmon skin and learned how to eat the skin crispy by crisping the underside a bit more, then, I remove the salmon, add EVOO, some garlic and add presoftened bean thread, the marinade from salmon, some more chicken stock and some Korean spicy gochuchang and finally, sesame oil and some spicy chili crisp. I even like to make my vermicelli crispy likened to the socarrat of paella.
Costco wild marinade salmon is very reasonable, 6 individually sealed pouch for around $18.00. I take it out and place the pouch in water basin for 20 minutes and it is ready to go.

2 Likes

Sounds super delicious - everything you described.
I love the skin of any fish. Best part. I broil all my fish (there is only one recipe that I fry it in a wok). I broil it until the skin is crispy and that is my favorite part.

3 Likes

That duck chow fun sounds amazing!

Thanks for the pic of the Veg XO - if you don’t mind would you post one of the back with the ingredients?

I store my chili crisp in the cupboard. But the mushroom one got fungus (haha the irony) in a few days, so the next jar went in the fridge. It’s very tasty - chopped up black mushrooms with chili crisp, basically.

1 Like

Popcorn! Genius!

Try it on peanuts as a bar snack.

1 Like

Here is a picture of the ingredients for the Ja Jan Vegetarian XO but I can list them as picture may not be be very clear

SOYBEANS, CHILI, SUGAR, SOYBEAN OIL, SPIC, LACTIC ACID,

IT MAY BOT BE THE BEST XO BUT IT TASTE GOOD WITH THE ADDITION OF THE LEE KU KEE PREMIUM OYSTER SAUCE , CHILIC CRISP AND ALL THE OTHER SAUCES.