Spice scales - range vs. accuracy?

Hi all - I’ve an Ozeri kitchen scale that accepts up to 5 kg and weighs in single-gram increments. Until recently this has been fine for me.

But I’m starting to make charcuterie and many times my calculations (especially if small batch) call for, e.g., 1.65 grams of curing salt.

While I’m not too worried about the difference between 1.6, 1.65 or 1.7 grams, with my current scale (single-gram increments) I’m guessing really between 1 and 2 grams, not to mention any inherent inaccuracy it might have. This wouldn’t bother me for cinnamon or basil, but is more of a swing than I’d like for the amount of curing salt being applied.

I’m looking at spice scales on Amazon and many of them claim to graduate to 0.01 gram increments, which sounds nice. But a lot of them are limited to 50 grams or 100 grams maximum.

I see some which claim up to 1-3 kg max with 0.01g capability, and some at 5kg max with 0.1g increments, either of which would be more useful generally if accurate, because I could weigh all ingredients of a smaller batch using that one scale.

Does anyone have a scale they like and find useful for both very small amounts, and up to modest (1-3 kg, or up to 5kg) amounts?

P.S. I did read through Denise’s thread about kitchen scales but it really didn’t touch on this question.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Since you already have a Ozeri kitchen scale that can handle heavier measurement, my recommendation is to get another scale focus on the low range, with the lowest weight at 1 gram with an accuracy/precision level at 0.1-0.2 . e.g. if it tells you 1 gram, you have some confidence that is 0.8-1.2 gram.

I do not have a single scale that can handle both low and high weight. I have one scale that can measure heavy, but not accurate at low weight, and I have another a couple of small scale focus on the low weight

3 Likes

I have an Oliver & Kline 5kg scale, and while it is pretty accurate, if I am weighing less than a few grams I use one of these…

1 Like

I agree. I have two scales for tiny quantities and an Escali for larger quantities. It’s best to just have different scales for different purposes, especially since they’re pretty cheap and last a while.

2 Likes

I have this kitchen scale which claims to measure from 2 gram to 10 kg.

Well, it gives a reading at 2 gram, but it is inaccurate for sure. The lower end of the scale simply “float” around. So when I want to measure 2-3 gram of something (like spices or tea leaves), I just use my smaller scale.

I think it comes down that… it is cheaper to buy one scale good at high weight and one scale good at low weight than to buy a scale good at a wide range. I think there are good scales good at a wide range, but the really good ones are expensive.

2 Likes

It is your fault. Now I suddenly want to get this scale.

1 Like

But then you’d also have to buy the obligatory white lab coat, so’s you’ll look authentic while using it!

Thanks everyone for all your thoughts, based on which I’ll most likely get one just for the lower/smaller/more finicky amounts.

I am less worry about the white lab coat… than my unattractive face.

1 Like

We use a Tanita jeweler’s scale for smaller amounts, and have been quite happy with it.

1 Like

Well, I’ve been known to scare off trolls and goblins… but I’m not sure what you mean? Are you like me?? LoL.

Let’s say that you can scare off trolls and goblins, but my face can scare off you.

Go for the 0.01 gram increments, it’ll probably work better if you need to weigh less than a gram.

Mine weighs to the tenth of a gram, but recently I was trying to divide a gram of saffron with poor results - it still said zero when it should have been 0.2 or 0.3g.

1 Like

Yeah, they all do that in my experience. You have to go above a certain threshold for accurate measurements. My theory is the high weight and low weight have the same basic electronics, just they are calibrated for different precision.

OP, for tea, spices, and yeast/baking soda, I use the scale linked below. If you get a dud, exchange it. From the comments you can see duds are not infrequent. Also, it’s a good size for smaller espresso makers, especially if you’re willing to remove the top cover.

2 Likes

@bmorecupcake and @Babette - thanks, appreciate your comments.

And wow, that MAXUS scale is only 9 bucks!

I know what you mean about duds. I’ve mentioned in other threads that a lot of stuff I look at on Amazon (or if I look at the same at BestBuy’s ratings, etc.) have what I call a high “lemon rate”, where the combined 1- and 2-star ratings are 10, sometimes even 20%, but then almost all the other ratings are 4-5. This one isn’t really too bad at 4% combined at 1, 2-star.

2 Likes

For mass > a pound and <5kg, I use a “bascule” balance scale and calibrated counterweights down to 1/4 oz.

If I need to be very precise with small mass, I use a powder scale. Measures in grains (0.065g) with 1/10 grain accuracy. Here’s a good cheap one: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1023115832?pid=645087 This one goes up to about 100g.

2 Likes

I use a Salton Staffordshire. Lightest brass weight is 1/4 oz. I have some metric weights, too, but I think the lightest is 20 grams. Never acquired a scale for smaller amounts

1 Like

Those are cool. I sometimes wish I had a basket like yours.

I can’t make out a brand on mine.

The scoop basket is very handy, but your scale is much more intricately framed. Definitely a looker! I’m very happy with my analogue setup- so much more convenient and appealing than digital and batteries

1 Like

@Meekah and @kaleokahu

Those old balances are really cool - like having a working piece of history in your kitchen.

I’m a working piece of history in my kitchen ….

1 Like