Kitchen scale recommendations?

At long last, I think I am finally ready to buy a kitchen scale. My main use will be weighing ingredients for baking.

I’d like something that will store easily in a drawer and that cleans up nicely. I prefer my kitchen tools to be sturdy, simple, and functional—kind of like my Thermapen or (most) Oxo Good Grips stuff I’m fond of.

Might anyone have experience using a trusty kitchen scale that might be right for me?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JTDG084/ref=as_li_qf_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=alexandrask06-20&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B01JTDG084&linkId=e3be80625aa05544ae1ed3369aabd77f

Low profile, no bells and whistles to malfunction, accurate and travel handy ta boot. Oh and a FIVE yr warranty.

3 Likes

Thank you! Looks like my kind of design.

The bread baking class I’ve been enjoying recommended it. We use it everyday to measure things.

2 Likes

This is what I have. Easy to store in a drawer. Only disadvantage is larger plates cover the read out the plus is it is small and light.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007GAWRS/?tag=se-equipment-20

1 Like

Thanks @Elsieb! I appreciate having multiple choices to consider that folks have actually used.

I have this one from OXO. I like it because the display pulls out making it easy to read if you’re using a large bowl. It also comes in a smaller version, up to 5 lbs. Using a scale is what finally got me to bake something edible. I’m not good about measuring.

4 Likes

Awesome! I feel like I can make my selection in an informed way now.

1 Like

Nice! All 3 weigh up too 11 lbs. i like features from all 3. Glad you asked.

1 Like

Nobody’s good about measuring, when it’s loose pack-able dry ingredients done by volume. All the blather there used to be about the “proper” way to measure a cup of flour was pretty silly. A recipe asking for a cup of flour is similar to one that asks for an inch of water or a double-sized piece of butter - it’s fine to use those things if the measurement isn’t very important anyway, but if the right amount matters then the scale really helps.

For a lot of things, exact measurements aren’t needed. I’d never notice if my pancakes accidentally had 0.92 or 1.09 cups of flour, so I don’t bother trying hard.

If you take a few minutes to weigh each of your most-used cups and bowls when they’re empty, you can weigh pretty much everything after that. :+1:

1 Like

+1

I’ve had a cheaper one, and eventually it shorted out from cleaning the top. The top on the OXO completely removes (it’s magnetic, so pull hard) - no risk of water damage to the electronics. Also like that this has a large, clear display, tares easily, and flips between metric and imperial simply. It was/is also the favorite many years running for America’s Test Kitchen.

3 Likes

I sure learn a lot from you, @ChristinaM! Thanks for sharing your experience and insight.

1 Like

I like the OXO for all the reasons ChristinaM mentions but you should be aware that there is a three second countdown when you turn it on before you can use it. It is not really a big deal but it did bother me a bit when I first got it. The easy way it changes from metric to imperial and the ease of cleaning it won me over. The pull out display also comes in handy.

3 Likes

For kitchen scales, I’ve 3. The mechanical one is mainly for decoration these days, it has a nice retro look, not much use as it’s rather approximative. Bought it long time ago.
IMG_3554-scaled

The Beurer KS42 is mostly used. It’s very thin, good for storage, easy to clean.

My third scale I got it this year from the food professional store Metro. Stil 4733 is a tiny scale that one can slip in a pocket for traveling. It can mesure up to 0.01g, which is becoming essential for baking, yeast weighing etc when I need things to be as precise as 0.5g. Quite happy with it, sensitive even to movement and wind.

fr_pim_805210001001_01

Both electronic ones can display in metric and imperial systems.

4 Likes

@Rainycatcooks, @naf—so helpful to have specific pros and cons to consider based on your first-hand experiences.

Appreciate your detailed insights!

I love that one so much more than what I currently use.

1 Like

I’m not good as in I really don’t like to measure and I look for ways to avoid it. Weighing doesn’t bother me at all. I think the tare function is one of the best inventions.

3 Likes

HOLY GUACAMOLE!!! I’ve had my scale for years and I never knew this. Thank you. I usually use a damp paper towel to clean mine which is fine but washing is so much better.

2 Likes

I have this one, and I like it fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Escali-P115NB-Precision-Lightweight-Lifetime/dp/B0007GAWTG/ref=asc_df_B0007GAWTG/?tag=epicurious09-20&ascsubtag=5cad0d2408f5ea0f8af094e0

1 Like

I use clear, glass mixing bowls and can read the digital weight right through the glass no matter what size bowl I use. This was highlighted in my bread class as one useful feature. I have never seen a pull out drawer on a scale before; that’s cool. Whatever you buy, accuracy would matter most imho. There’s clearly a scale for every budget.

2 Likes