Speaking of rice, which ones do you eat?

I’m a girl. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m a longtime fan of Lundberg rices- i think that’s what the bulk bin specialty rices are at whole foods. They make a great wild rice blend that actually has the full flavor of wild rice without the overwhelming (and very expensive) all wild rice flavor.

2 Likes

Typically we keep jasmine , basmati, and brown basmati rice on hand, which seem to cover most bases for my cooking. Our pantry is also stocked with imported Spanish short grain rice for paella “one day,” and I just bought a bag of wild rice. Any suggestions for how to use it? It has a long cook time, so I’m thinking it either needs to be par-cooked before stirring in another rice or blended with an equally long cook-time brown rice. Hmm…

We eat a lot of cauliflower “rice” these days to save calories and carbs.

Re wild rice, we cook up the entire bag in vegetable broth along with a few chopped celery stalks and carrots. Once the rice is cooked to our liking we break it down into containers and freeze to use in dishes like soup, stuffing, cold salad, rice crust, stuffed peppers and mixed in beans, other rices.

5 Likes

With diabetes, the only rice I choose to eat is parboiled or converted rice. The process reduces the glycemic index significantly.

good idea!

I made your baked brown rice recipe tonight. I found organic brown Basmati rice in a local store, something I’d never seen before, so I tried it, and our guests loved it.

1 Like

Which brand? The only organic brown I’ve seen is 24 Mantra.

Came across these new-to-me rice at a couple of South Indian grocery stores. Has anyone tried sela, ambe mor, kuthari matta, and ponni rice?

2 Likes

Yay! Glad that worked well for you :slight_smile:

It’s a house brand from a local organic supermarket called Al Natura.

1 Like

I have never even thought to read a rice packages ingredients as I assumed it was just rice. I will check out the ones I have at home. I have Arborio for risotto, basmati for asian dishes (I know it’s an Indian rice, but I like the soft texture in stir frys) and I have long grain white rice for cajun and creole recipes.

I have the most trouble with the long grain white rice. For some reason it often come out mushy. It seems to be more particular about the rice to water ration and I’ve been cutting it back and it works better, though still can get gummy. Maybe that’s just long grain white rice?

Are there any rices you won’t eat is a good question. I’ll eat just about any

1 Like

Great idea!

I generally use Vigo brand as it was what I grew up with. When I visit family in Florida I can find their low sodium version. I always have yellow rice with shrimp creole.

I mainly use long grain white rice since I make a fair number of cajun and creole dishes. I rinse it well in a fine mesh sieve in the morning. By dinner it is nice and dry and ready to cook. No problems with mushiness.

Last time I skipped that step (my Father was trying to help in his usual rushed manner) the rice was very mushy.

Too often the water ratio is too high in many recipes

1 Like

Easy to tell since you write so pretty!
:wink:

1 Like

I mostly use the basmati brown rice I get a Aldi. My DR discourages me from any and all white rice because of medical issues. I have found that a little saffron makes this rice very tasty.

Ha! My CKD Doctors tell me the opposite. :slight_smile:
White Rices only. Too much strain on the kidneys to process other types, but rice is a staple for kidney patients.

1 Like

I started out trying the rice ramen and quickly became a fan of the company. Their recipe file is very interesting.

https://www.lotusfoods.com/recipes/

I made these today,
https://www.lotusfoods.com/recipes/peach-rice-pudding-pops/

Made a batch of thyme lemon rice (brown) today for lunch to go with grilled salmon. Fresh thyme and a whole lemon cut into slices steep in the cooking water as it comes to a boil. Add rice and cook until desired taste.

I don’t pull out the lemon pcs. they soften, flavor the meal and taste great.

2 Likes