Speaking of rice, which ones do you eat?

Well that’s reassuring. My point of view is that i just do the best i can for what i buy and make at home without going to heroic lengths. Goodness knows i’ve been eating who knows where it’s from rice when at restaurants when i eat out, and I’m just not going to be that person interrogating the server about the source…!
I figure i’ll be hit by an nyc yellow cab before the rice arsnic gets me :joy:

4 Likes

IMG_6038

It’s surprisingly delicate and light in texture and flavor.

3 Likes

My wife prefers Basmati rices, so I’ve usually got either white or brown of those.

I usually also have glutinous rice around for making coconut sticky rice with mango - I don’ t make it often, but it’s about the same price to buy a small package of it at Whole Foods or a 5-pound bag at the Vietnamese market. Easiest way I’ve found to cook it reliably is to soak it overnight and then cook it in a rice cooker (or a heavy pot); steaming it in a colander was a lot of trouble and didn’t come out significantly better, though that may be because I didn’t really know what I was doing.

I get very different texture when I steamed mine vs cooking it in water. Cooking in water usually yield a more traditional rice texture, more soaked up, softer. Steaming it (is more work) yield more intact, al dente, texture. This is not my photo, but I would say mine has this texture/look, the rice grains are a lot more “individual”

1 Like

what kind of rice are you steaming?
I cook all my rice ( white rice, used to use jasmine rice but now kokuho red) in my rice cooker
I find brown rice does not work well in my rice cooker, and had to boil them in lots of water, then, drain the rice and let it steam in the small amount of moisture that remains in the pot for 30 minutes. Then, the rice comes out light and fluffy. However, it is a lot of work unless I make a lot, more than I can eat in one session. I find then that this rice does not keep well in fridge, sometimes it gets spoiled. So, I stopped using brown rice.
I find that glutinous rice is wroth the effort if i soak it overnight , drain it, then steam them . This is used in making sweet rice dessert ( buko etc) or savory rice ( with sausage, pork, mushroom, dried shrimp etc) called Ma Chang in my dialect

Hi. I only have steamed the glutinous rice, and almost always for the lotus leaf dish. I know plenty people cooked the rice, but the recipe I have and like is using the steaming method. It produced a very different texture than most restaurant versions.

I agree. For regular cooking, it is a lot of work to steam and wait…etc.

I’ve been a die-hard fan of Tamaki short-grain premium rice for years now, and had switched to their Haiga variety in an effort to move away from a lot of white rice. Tamaki has recently come out with a short-grain brown rice variety that I actually really like so I do my regular drive up to Burlington, MA and pick up the giant bags and pay through my nose for it. But it’s good stuff, and I like the texture of this variety. Cooks up well in my Zojirushi rice cooker.

1 Like

I turn down no rice

1 Like

Where did you get your black rice? I bought some for $10/lb!! That was painful. I think it was marketed as Forbidden rice.

I have so many, I’m at work now so I can’t look at my pantry, but I’m sure I have at least five varieties. The most used is Thai Jasmine, which I get for a bargain at Costco Wholesale.

I don’t have a rice cooker and brown rice was not cooperating for me until i tried the oven baked method- totally foolproof! Once done i stir it and replace the foil to let it steam a little more.

1 Like

That’s very similar to Claudia Roden’s way of preparing couscous:
http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/claudia-rodens-basic-couscous-362516

1 Like

I always serve this when I make tacos for dinner. I usually add an extra cup of water and 1/2 cup of regular rice to cut down on the saltiness.

I use the taco meat and leftover rice to make jumok bap.

2 Likes

Sprout’s market dry bins section.

Well huh. I spent years just dumping boiling water ontop of couscous and letting it sit! Haha, actually i ate freaking couscous several times a week for years- i was a broke student and the bulk bins sold it super cheap. Well, and the just add hot water was very appealing! Unfortunately that means i now avoid the stuff as much as possible

That’s about how I feel about rice, since we used to eat so much of it. Couscous is fairly new for me, so it doesn’t have the “boring factor” yet. And a Moroccan friend likes my couscous, so it can’t be all bad.

1 Like

I found some for $5/lb, but I swear I bought this same brand for $10/lb two years ago. Thank god it came down in price, there was no way I was going to buy it again at $10/lb.

I’ll have to go to Sprouts, I love that place, unfortunately there’s none close to me. Their bulk bins are the best.

Jumok bap? Are you a fellow-Korean?

I haven’t heard that phrase in decades!

1 Like

Not Korean, simply an Angelena. My friend’s mom used to make them when we were kids, now I make them for my son and his friends. With yellow rice and taco meat, among other combinations. I love L.A. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Angelena, not an Angelino? :slight_smile:

I haven’t had jumok bap in decades, wow, what a blast from the past.

1 Like