Sous Vide: Recipes, Techniques & Equipment

The carrots are great. I think a dash of sugar and salt makes them better, but with nothing they still come out better than any other way of cooking. Also with a bit of salt, sugar and sliced ginger they are fantastic. Or I add home made ginger syrup. Also cooked with hot pepper slices if you like heat.

1 Like

Ginger sounds good. I don’t think Kenji calls for it, but that’s no reason not to use some.

I’m glad you mentioned this. Coincidentally, I was testing it last night for the very first time, making eggs. All 4 attempts failed, with all different temp/time combinations, though the yolks were perfect (jelly-like).

Now, when I first read what you wrote, I thought whoa, the difference is 4 degrees?! Then I read it again and realised it was in Fahrenheit. I will try making eggs again adding 2 more degrees Cesius. Need to get a digital thermal probe to test my Steba.

SV chicken thighs are delicious. I made it last time for Nasi Goreng. Confit duck legs will be my weekend cooking project.

1 Like

For years I’ve been doing everything in Celsius, but I still cook in Fahrenheit.

Interesting article!
Just curious. If you desire a poached egg, have you considered the LeKue microwave egg cup? Based on the description of the 145 degree poach, I think the LeKue cup provides just that in about a minute in a 700 watt microwave. I can’t kind of imagine waiting so long for a poached egg. But there must be a difference in the taste/consistency. . . ?

I am one of the troglodytes that does not possess a microwave oven. We simply have no room for one. I don’t have a smartphone either, so that–for me–ruled out the Anova.

:grin: Spouse does not have a smart phone either. . . But I think his head would literally explode if I got rid of the hideous, space-hogging microwave. . .
The egg cups are the only “cooking implement” he will use. Otherwise he uses the micro to re-heat leftovers.
You are aligned w/the guy on the Chambers website who doesn’t even use a circulator. He dumps hot water in his cooler & weighs the baggie down w/a spoon stuck through a bear clip. More power to ya!

I don’t believe the Anova requires a smartphone, at least my older bluetooth version doesn’t require it. There is a wheel and buttons on the unit itself to set the temperature and start it up.

If I understood correctly, the new Anova model can be used with a smartphone, but some of the functionality is sacrificed without one.

Thanks!

Well, the carrots were the best I ever cooked. That said, it is a lot of effort for a modest result. We do have a lot of vegetarian friends, so I guess that this is a good technique to have in reserve for when the meat-avoiders come over.

That’s true, they do have a smartphone app where you can go into one of their recipes or guides and hit a link to set the temperature and timer remotely. I usually just set the temperature manually though.

Tonight I made salmon according to Kenji’s recipe, aiming for a temperature of 115ºF. When I calibrated the temperature with the Thermapen, it showed that the Steba was 2-3 degrees off. In other words, when I set the Steba at 119, the Thermapen showed 116/117. So I lowered the temperature on the Steba to 118, then the Thermapen showed 115/116. Yesterday when I did the carrots at 183ºF, the difference was a good 4 degrees Fahrenheit. So the variance is not linear.

By the way, the salmon turned out fantastic. I had previously tried Melissa Clark/Nathan Myhrvold’s seat-of-the-pants method from the New York Times, and the result was very good. But with the proper equipment the result was perfect.

1 Like

I will put the Anova in the same bath to see if they both have the same temp. Now I really must get a Thermapen-like thing. It’s a little inconvenient to have to measure every time but correct temps are more important.

Sounds like you are enjoying your new toy very much.

OK, I put the Anova in the bath. They both show same temp in cold water.

Sounds like you are enjoying your new toy very much.

Definitely!

3-4 degrees off is quite a lot - worth considering to ask for a replacement

Yes it is

When I first got my Anovas I tested with the thermapen. Dead on!

Yes, it is. But I know how to correct for it. What if it were a mere one degree off? Or just half a degree? I’d still have to correct for it.

With today’s technology they shouldn’t be off by more than a fraction of a degree. The original Anova the “Anova One” allowed you to calibrate the sensor to correct any inaccuracies. Not sure the Anova Precision has a way to do that

Well, I’ll write to their customer service department and ask about it. But sooner or later everything goes off. Unfortunately this time it was sooner.