Sous Vide: Recipes, Techniques & Equipment

Do coolers keep temperature constant enough for the duration of the cooking? I guess you’d ‘circulate’ the water by moving the cooler around slightly?

I do a 1.25% equilibrium brine with BSCB that are individually vac sealed and SV’d for a couple hours at 145-147 range. Chill down immediately and use them for sliced “deli style” chicken for lunches or cube for pasta salads etc. Unopened bags will last weeks in the fridge since they are pasteurized

1 Like

The circulator keeps the water at a constant temp. The cooler just helps the circulator work less

Oh. Thanks. Stupid me thinking that the cooler is a home-made contraption to replace the circulator.

I have read of people using cooler without a circulator for short processes. I used it with an Anova.

I’m also in Europe and it’s sold as “Wartmann” here (€280). Some manufacturer sells the same unit under different names in different places (and prices)?

I have a problem with finding a customised lid for the container so I’m waiting and keep looking round.

A simple hack: small kitchen tongs can be used to hold the bag down. Sometimes I use 2. For bigger pieces of food I use a heavy metal trivet to keep the bags submerged.

Also, the importance of a lid as you can see in this photo. And that’s my goose breast being cooked.

1 Like

I got mine from Media Markt in Germany for €220. As far as a cover is concerned, what do you think of Kenji’s suggestion to use ping pong balls. He points out that the porous top surface will not concentrate rising water vapor around the electronics. You will have to refill the water more often, but for something like a goose breast, that shouldn’t be a problem, should it?

Do you brine first then remove and SV? Or do you SV with the brine?

Brined then bagged with no added liquid

A container with a lid like a Cambro works really well at controlling evaporation. I don’t think I get more than a 1/4 inch of evaporation in a 3 day cook. Covering gaps between lid cut out and IC helps a lot

Thanks! I’ll do this next time.

A picnic cooler is more energy efficient/environmentally responsible than a Cambro or any such container. You get far less heat loss. There are plenty of youtube video hacks showing you how to make a cooler specific for your immersion heater by cutting out a hole in the lid. I’ve been SV cooking now for about 10 years and now have an Anova, which is a great machine. I just recently bought a gross of ping pong balls for insulation. It does not aid in keeping the bag submerged. Great technique! Although I own a vacuum sealer I no longer use it, Just submerge the bag and release the air.

1 Like

I have two Anova’s. The original, and the second model with bluetooth app. I got both at 50% by pre-ordering. I use them a lot, one set to lower meat temps. The other to veggie temps. I like the original one a lot more than the second edition.

I use cambro’s with a cut out on the lids. No evaporation.

I also have a Vacmaster chamber vacuum. Which I use to vac seal everything. It’s great because it works with liquids. And no air at all so most items don’t have to be forced to submerge.

I have a chest freezer to store all my vac packed prepared and raw foods.

I have two adjustible pot lid organizers like this to hold items vertically when I am doing a lot of things that can cook at the same temp.
https://www.amazon.com/Ikea-VARIERA-701-548-00-Organizer-Stainless/dp/B00TJTWR04/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1499283023&sr=8-10&keywords=adjustable+stainless+steel+rack

2 Likes

I have bought quite a few presents to myself in recent months, the latest thing is German Steba circulator (see pic upthread, looks just like the Vacmaster) and a Demeyere wok! Am going to order another SV container and it will be the end of it (at least this summer)! :sweat_smile:

If you ever want to SV rhubarb try 61C/140F, up to 45mins. I have tried several lengths of time but like it best no longer than 20mins. I like mine a bit firm, as in there’s still quite a lot of bite to it. Might be “hard” for you. Experiment and find out yourself. Don’t forget to write it down in your notebook.

SV method retains the texture, colour and shape of rhubarb. My rhubarb tends to go mushy quickly otherwise.

2 Likes

Thanks for the temp/time suggestion. The rhubarb in your photo looks perfect!

1 Like

With any luck I’ll be getting mine tomorrow. Then I’ll be able to start playing with it. I think I’ll start with Kenji’s recipe for eggs. That way my wife will be pacified.:blush:

Picked mine up today. Whoa. Professional looking piece of kit. There’s a little calcium deposit filter which can be removed and cleaned. The lid of my water bath (custom cut for another circulator) can still be used, I just cover the gap with a dish towel for now.

Have fun experimenting with eggs. I do it every weekend, have tried many temp/time combinations suggested around the web with no definitive success. It’s infuriating sometimes. I cook at least a handful together, break each egg over a coarse strainer in a little bowl. The loose whites will fall through the strainer and into the bowl.

1 Like

I didn’t make it today; I have to drive to Germany to pick it up. Tomorrow for sure.

What I’m looking at for egg cooking is the Japanese onsen tamago, where the egg is cooked in the shell:
http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/10/sous-vide-101-all-about-eggs.html

So I picked up my Steba today. The first thing I made was the onsen tamago from seriouseats. I tried the 13 minute version at 167F. I checked the temperature of the water with my Thermapen, and there was a 3-4 degree difference between them. The eggs didn’t appear to be quite as solid as those in the picture, so I guess that means that the Steba is 3-4 degrees off. Then I decided to make Kenji’s chicken breast , 140F for 1 1/2 hours. So I heated the water to 144F, and the meat was perfect. Next I’ll try Kenji’s carrots, but without the sugar.