Soups and Stocks--Who Adds Gelatin?

1.5 tsp bloomed on a cup of stock. Not trying to make demi or add flavor; just a quick pan sauce for two skin on chicken breasts.

1 Like

I think sometime ago (as in a at least few years ago) someone also stated that he/she adding gelatin from gelatin package. I know, I know. Collagen is not the same as gelatin.

To be honest, I don’t. Even in the rare case, I need to, I add chicken feet.

1 Like

Hey, Gelatine. Were you the person who told us about Gelatine packages?

I don’t understand; someone was substituting one for the other?

I don’t think I’ve talked about the gelatine packages, but if someone asks, I am a fan!

When you use chicken feet, do you do it the same day your preparing your sauce?

(post deleted by author)

I read wrong. I thought Kaleo was adding collagen. No, he was adding gelatin. When I add chicken feet, I add them on the same day I make the stock/broth. I would buy a small bag of chicken feet and use 1-2 pieces. To be honest, it is a bit of a trade off for me. The chicken feet will add a bit more mouth feeling, but the soup and stock tend to be a bit more cloudy. Just a little.

2 Likes

Ahh! I see. The thread title is about soups and stocks, and I’m talking about a pan sauce.

BTW, I do use the sheets as well, but I need more practice, especially with the different types.

I think gelatin gives a different mouth feel than starch or flour thickening. Cornstarch, rice starch, flour… can all thicken the liquid. However, gelatin adds a certain stickiness which is different.

2 Likes

Heard!

I don’t aspire to making “demi”, eating bread nor fries. But husband likes a weeknight "gravy " from a chicken breast.

2 Likes

That is a regular request here, too! Yum.

When I make chicken stock it gets plenty gelatinous from the bones; I’ve never seen a need to augment it with gelatin from a packet. Then again, I never plan on stock being super quick (no, I don’t own an IP).

1 Like

Belittle? Hardly.

Do or don’t add gelatin to your stocks, I don’t care. I posted my OP after trying the technique for the first time, which worked well for me. Turns out that it’s one pro chefs use.

Peace.

2 Likes

Gelatin is the result of animal collagen breaking down in cooking. That’s what’s in the packages, and what’s also in well-made stocks that have included collagen-rich tissues.

The questions are obviously how much gelatin is desirable, and how do you go about getting it into your stocks or soups. If you want a lot, you need to use a lot of those tissues, which may not be readily available or affordable. Or, you can quickly add some/more from a package. Gelatin, whether made by the cook or a factory, also helps clarify stocks.

Sadly, I have none of those within 30 miles. If I was making a big batch of stock for something special or for preservation, I might travel for something like chicken feet or veal bones. But for, e.g., a quick cheater’s version of double stock (starting with boxed “stock”) or a leftover soup, gelatine sounds like a winner to me.

1 Like