Somebody Feed Phil 7th Season Netflix

The very first one in this edition is Mumbai, take a look.

3 Likes

You beat me to it.

My best friend from high school specially messaged me to say that it was almost as if my dad had taken them on the street food tour :joy::rofl:

I haven’t watched it yet, maybe tonight.

3 Likes

Looking forward. My PIC was starting to tire of his shtick, which is why we haven’t finished the recent season yet. Curious to see where he all goes…

ETA: just checked the upcoming locations. Orlando & Edinburgh should be interesting. @johntannerbbq might find some inspo for your buddy in episode 6 :wink:

I’ve watched a few of Season 7; somehow it seems more rushed to me compared to earlier shows.

Watching makes me realize more than ever that I’m not at all inclined toward very high end dining. It just seems so tortured, contrived.

I’m sure that tourism will get a boost, Iceland seems stunning with very friendly residents.

I’ve not been into the whole fine dining stuff for years now.

I’d love to visit Iceland some time, even though I hear it’s disgustingly expensive.

We’ve been big fans from the beginning, but were getting kind of tired of his schtick. Season 7, however, seems to have improved, and he seems a little calmer. Love the jokes for Max at the end. It reminds me of the show The Vicar of Dibley where they would tell a joke at the end of each episode.

3 Likes

Linguafood – Thanks! That’s a good idea. I was utterly unaware of the show.

1 Like

We’re anxious to start it here are Yoyodyne Headquarters.

With the world in general being… <gestures vaguely at everything> a little undiluted good naturedness and sharing spirit is sometimes all I really want.

The partner got me an early bday present. Phil will be speaking live here in early June. We have tix. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Started season 7 today, watching episode 3 as we speak. For me, it’s mostly about which cities he visits, prefering Asia myself. So, the Mumbai episode I liked a lot, especially because he focused on cheap but delicious looking street food.

6 Likes

Watched Ep 1, and I have to say that I haven’t enjoyed the show in the past, but this seemed like a different Phil. Sweet kept coming to mind.

He was kind and respectful of everyone, from the street vendors to the kids at the STEM program, not just the experts who were taking him around.

I thought the dabbawala (tiffin) piece (which fascinates everyone foreign who encounters it — I had my lunch delivered by them my entire school career :joy:) was not as disruptive as others and very sweetly done.

I liked who he had show him around and what they ate, mostly. Some things you’d never encounter without really foodie locals. (The Dishoom guy mispronouncing food and street names was pretty hilarious, but again in a sweet way. )

The only dud food-wise was The Bombay Canteen at the end, but that was a tribute to Floyd Cardoz, so it made sense. (I ate there last night and it hasn’t aged well, mostly because the original chef moved on and the group has shifted focus to their newer places.)

Funniest statement of the show: “I’m the only Jewish guy here” while he’s standing literally around the corner from one of the oldest synagogues in Bombay :joy: — where was the research team? :flushed::rofl:

9 Likes

Agree 100%—I could not get into the previous seasons either. Loved the Mumbai episode though.

Fingers crossed that the rest of Season 7 continues the trend.

2 Likes

Nail on the head.

He’s hostage to production staff for the boondoggle/paid vacation. His known/documented street cred as either cook or palate isn’t likely to emerge. Compare, Anthony Bourdain . . . All’s that’s left is controlling the impulse to mug for the camera while reciting staff’s script.

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

I wanted to like it . I lasted 10 minutes.

1 Like

I enjoyed the previous seasons so was looking forward to Seadon 7. Found the first couple of episodes ok, but not really enjoyable… Tonight I watched the episode from Kyoto, so very pleasurable! Hoping the rest will be as good…

1 Like

My life isn’t all that busy and Anthony Bourdain is no more, so I can enjoy this series even though I’m not wild about it.

Diminished expectations and all. For me, the jokes at the end are lame, a waste of time.

1 Like

same bro, same

1 Like

Aw, dude. You never liked it in the first place :laughing:

Watched DC and Taipei.

The lack of focus on food in some episodes vs others is confusing to me.

I mean, yes, they’re eating in all of them. But they don’t even talk about some or most of the food in the DC episode, vs Mumbai, and to a lesser extent Taipei.

1 Like

I didn’t hate it, but he’s too shtick/cringy for me. I did get some great recommendations for Lisbon and Madrid, so I’ll give him that.

2 Likes