What's for Dinner #49 - the Falling Leaves Edition - Sept 2019

Damn girl!
I usually don’t have trouble resisting pasta but you guys are wearing me down.

ETA;
I’ve pulled myself together.

I’m trying to make chicken scarparillo…yet again. Trying to use up some guanciale, so Im rendering it in the oven, but wondering about the smoke point. I’d really like to get the chicken (breast! Blecch, but skin on) really brown. Am I better off with a different oil? Like veg or peanut? Perhaps I should use the rendered oil for the garlic.

Science of oils and fats

https://www.seriouseacooking-fats-101-whats-a-smoke-point-and-why-does-it-matter.

6 Likes

Yessss please.

1 Like

I rubbed and smoked some boneless pork loin ribs. Served up with bleu cheese wedge salads, baked beans, and sauteed garden okra and tomatoes. Meat portioned by DH - I put one back.

Four Roses small batch neat for dessert.

That salad, tho:

14 Likes

Late replying, but I can’t think if a good sub. They’re fairly flavorless to me - it’s mostly textural. Skip?

1 Like

I got a tip about that - mix the olive oil with a veg oil that can handle high heat. Idk if it is full proof but it works for me. I like grapeseed oil because it has no flavor.

1 Like

In case anyone is interested, we enjoyed SLA Thai so much that we had to come back a week later. Below is a link to the details and pictures.

8 Likes

I agree, it’s the texture. I messaged the Ravenous Couple on IG (great source for Vietnamese food). They said Cha Gio (egg rolls) filling varies and I can leave it out if need be. :smirk: But okay!

2 Likes

Ah cool, I was thinking maybe it was a regional specialty or something I hadn’t heard about, turns out you are just setting the trends!

2 Likes

Me too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Another concept for you, DH has been sauteing nuts, usually pecans, in EVOO and either sea or garlic salt. They are FABULOUS! You might try a small batch and see it they please you.

3 Likes

Everything looks fabulous, but I/we really understand your point about portioning. Many of our plates must look meager, but DH and I are both put off by huge plates of food. There are most often “seconds” lurking around the corner. They taste so much better when you opt for them rather than having a heavy plate to get through.

3 Likes

Fresh mozzarella

Snapper filet, braised celery, “Spanish rice”.

12 Likes

Fini! Chicken scarpariello. A little pale, but I cannot abide overcooked chicken breast.

I didn’t have pickled peppers, so I used roasted piquillo peppers and some pickled cherry tomatoes I made a few weeks ago. I think they have Indian spices in heated oil poured over raw tomatoes, but I can’t remember where I got the recipe. Hope they’re still “good”!.

Like these
https://smartinthekitchen.com/2017/08/indian-spiced-marinated-tomatoes/

Uh oh ! 3-4 days!

This is the recipe I used, once again from “You Say Tomato” by Joanne Weir

11 Likes

Pale chicken trumps over cooked any day

2 Likes

Garden tap has been pulling off world class wood fired pizzas . They know me well now and cater to my needs . Tonight just the dough topped with their tomato sauce . Puffy crust with a slight char on some of the dough bubbles . I brought my own agostini recca anchovies and oregano to top . My favorite pizza so far . Super old school. Beer to drink .:beer:Cheers

10 Likes

Plus, how am I supposed to snack on prosciutto, ice cream, and popcorn later if I’m too full from dinner? :joy:

6 Likes

@Christina,

The prosciutto is “Bacaria (bar) e cicchetti” (tapa) and the other two ítems listed, 1 is a dessert and the other a snack for the cinema either out or at home !

1 Like

@cookie

Yes, incredibly fabulous !

Have a lovely weekend.

1 Like

Does Netflix on the couch count as cinema?

With dinner at 5:30 p.m.for the toddler, there aren’t many apps in our household :joy:

Food rules are meant to be broken, I say. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

@ChristinaM,

Whatever floats your boat !

Why not get a babysitter (or grandparents) and go to the cinema ?

Have a nice wkend.