Since it's Meatless Monday, let's share our favourite vegetarian dishes!

Thanks, Rooster! I eat little meat so I have to find new, creative ways to enjoy more vegs.

1 Like

And you do with incredible style!

1 Like

A riff on Turkish poached eggs and yogurt. Silken tofu, chilli oil and tamari make it savoury.

Beetroot puree with something sweet and sour to go with the pancakes. Kumquat “marmalade” with wine and honey.

Parsnip, pasta and cheese gratin.

Again

Faux “Bourguignon” with tempeh

With Spätzle

2 Likes

Made on Sunday rather than Monday. Mushroom sort of Stroganoff ( started out as fried mushrooms then I added some leftover mashed butternut squash and yogurt) roasted cauliflower and green beans.

3 Likes

Vegetarian stuffed peppers last night.

Usually made with ground beef/turkey sometimes with rice added.

Last night I used a turkish bulgur salad (kisr) with some lentils and cauliflower stem mixed in.

Roasted cauliflower before, during, and after :joy:

As an aside, it amazes me the sheer quantity of vegetables I can eat when they are roasted. If I took a head of cauliflower and made soup (single vegetable purée), it would last me a week or two. Cooked into gratin (cauliflower cheese), at least 2-3 meals). Roasted… I had to stop myself from eating the whole head last night. A third was spared, but only barely.

4 Likes

I don’t generally subscribe to meatless Monday. May lead to turkey Tuesday or wok Wednesday, take out Thursday’s and French toast Friday’s

1 Like

Tell me more! (Please.)

Sure, it’s basically just the way I make chicken paprikash, I just substitute tofu for the chicken. You may prefer tempeh, dunno.
I just sauté a good sized onion in some butter or olive oil, add mushrooms and crushed garlic, and sauté til almost soft. Put 2-3 heaping teaspoons of sweet Hungarian paprika in, and toast til fragrant. I sometimes add hot or half sharp paprika or even some smoked to the mix. Thin with some vegetable broth and simmer a bit, add sour cream, and add cubed, firm tofu, simmer til warmed through and serve over noodles or rice.

I sometimes make a chicken paprika basically the same way, using chicken broth, and everything else, but keep it dairy free and with less calories, by blending soft tofu, and acidulating with lemon juice in place of the sour cream. IME, I’ve found that dairy actually mutes flavors, while tofu “carries them.” Both versions delicious over brown rice too.

3 Likes

Wait. Are those bad things?
Take out Thursday sounds right up my alley.
:slight_smile:

Also you may get to end the week with samosa Saturday and sausage Sunday, which sounds alright to me.

2 Likes

Both genius ideas. Thanks!

You’re welcome @ChristinaM.

Mushrooms and eggs, toast with cheese and mushrooms.

Tempeh “sharwarma”. I used a kebab mix.

Beetroot “tartare”, in the style of beef tartare.

Chilled beetroot soup. Great for summer.

Summer pasta

Left plate is room temp pasta with uncooked tomatoes.

Chilled tomato soup

2 Likes

Crispy-fried tofu. I like soft tofu but something firm is fine too, if you prefer.

Creamy pasta with cheese

Pasta mixed with beetroot

Tomato soup

Grilled cauli with tortillas

Yellow stuff is corn puree

4 Likes

Spanakopita
Käsespäetzle

Spanakorizo
Imam bayildi

1 Like

Cauli and cheese. Dough is store-bought.

Beetroot falafel

Looks like a curry but it’s not. What’s in it: cream, kabocha squash, parsnips, chilli paste, and a tin of jack beans.

Ate the first half with Spätzle and the second half with home-made kelp pici.

Kelp Rösti

2 Likes

Such interesting variety. You are so fortunate.

Thanks! Goes to show I don’t need meat in everything to be able to enjoy a meal.

1 Like

I made an all-veg(an) menu from a new Indian IP cookbook, and can recommend all the recipes! They were fairly easy to veganize, too.

1 Like

I made this for a family Xmas dinner with an Indian theme. With real hamburger it won grand prize at NYS Fair.
Vegetarian Kaddo Bourani

Three pounds peeled and cut butternut squash
1 C sugar
2 tbsp corn oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp salt
1 T butter
3/4 C water
1/2 large tomato, seeded and finely chopped
½ lb. veggie crumbles
2 large garlic clove, minced
1/2 large onion, finely diced
1 C Greek plain yogurt
1/2 tsp dried mint
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1 tbsp tomato paste
parsley & mint for garnish

1. Find a baking pan large enough to hold all the squash pieces in a single layer.
  2. Place in pan and drizzle with 2 T oil. Pour the sugar evenly over the squash.
  3. Cover the pan(s) with aluminum foil.
  4. Bake for 2 1/2 hours at 300, then baste the pieces with the pan juices, cover them up again, and bake for another 45 minutes.
  5. Mix yogurt, garlic clove, mint and salt together. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve.
  6. Brown the onions in 1 T butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan.
  7. Add veggie crumbles; warm
  8. Add all other ingredients except for the tomato paste and water and cook, stirring, for another 5 minutes or so.
  9. Stir in the tomato paste, then add the water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and let simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes
  10. To serve spoon hot squash in serving dish, topped with cold yogurt sauce, topped with hot “meat” sauce.
  11. Garnish with parsley and fresh mint
    Recipe is from Afghanistan
    2010 Grand Prize winner
    Appearance: 40/40 – very good; attractively displayed with mint and parsley garnish
    Easy of prep: 20/20- time consuming, but not difficult
    Flavor: 40/40 - delicious
2 Likes