SIMPLE THAI FOOD - April 2022 Cookbook of the Month

With the Thai pronunciation in English, impossible to find the dish.

By using Thai ก๋วยเตี๋ยวเนื้อสับ, I found a few dishes (translated into English by Google):

https://cookpad-com.translate.goog/th/recipes/9494545-กวยเตยวเนอสบ?_x_tr_sl=th&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Curry powder is used in all 3 recipes, although one recipe stated you can replace the curry by a seasoning sauce. Dose varies between 1/2 tsp / 250g meat - 1 tsp / 300g (instead of 2 tsp stated by Leela P. for 226g of meat), The proper way to call the dish seems to be “Minced beef noodles”.

I must say, I’m a relative newbie in Thai cooking, I’m more interested in Vietnamese cooking. I’ve spent 2 weeks eating Thai food everyday back in a trip in 2013, many dishes especially street food disappointed because I felt the imbalance mix of spices or using the heat to mask the cooking, I wasn’t particularly impressed by Pad Thai either. 2 meals changed my mind, the Local by Oam Thong Thai Cuisine (Kan Markawat) and of course, Nahm under David Thompson.

2 Likes

Interesting, thank you! It was intriguing to see how the recipes varied quite a bit in how saucy they are. The first one above is pretty dry, and the next is saucy, and the third looks downright soupy. At some point I’ll try one of these. I think a lower amount of curry powder might make a big difference.

2 Likes

GLASS NOODLE SALAD (yam wun sen) - ebook

Now this is more like it. I’ll admit straight up, that yam wun sen is one of my favorite Thai dishes. And restaurant versions tend to be disappointing, so it is really a good one to make at home. In recent years, I’ve looked at (but not strictly followed) Andy Ricker’s version, which he credits to his friend Sunny, and which is a very busy version. One problem a lot of versions of this have (for my purposes) is that they don’t have enough noodles. Ricker’s version has that problem, as do many restaurant versions. I don’t want to eat this as a side salad or appetizer, I want to eat it as a meal, especially for lunch. But that’s just me. Ricker uses 1.25 oz of dried glass noodles for a dish that serves “2 to 6 as part of a meal”. I double the noodles in his recipe, up the dressing, but keep all the add-ins the same (except I don’t use the same add-ins, exactly).

This recipe uses 2 oz of noodles to serve 4. I used 2 1/2 oz (I would be serving 2, but as a stand alone dish). While the noodles soak, you also rehydrate dried wood ears. I sometimes include fresh mushrooms in my yam wun sen, but never wood ears, so that was a new twist for me. Dried shrimp are optional, and I didn’t use them, but if you were, you would also be soaking them at this time. This recipe calls for ground pork that is cooked with some water. I used minced tempeh, and a different cooking technique. I sautéed the tempeh until browned, then added fish sauce (vegan “fish sauce”) and a bit of water, and let that cook down. This recipe also calls for fresh shrimp, which are briefly boiled after the noodles. I used a vegan ham that I get from the Asian market. I cube it, then pan-fry and add just a hint of sugar to get some caramelization on it. I started using this because Ricker calls for Vietnamese pork roll in his salad, and this was my work-around after I went vegan, and quite frankly it’s delicious. So I made that. The dressing is lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, fresh Thai chiles, and ground chiles. It is whisked together in a bowl large enough to hold the whole salad. The soaked noodles are briefly boiled then removed with a skimmer and added to the dressing. The noodles will go from undercooked to overcooked in a second - you really need to be on top of this. This recipe has you boil the sliced, rehydrated wood ears along with the noodles. If you are using the fresh shrimp, you would boil it next, then add it to the big bowl. Then toss in shallots, pork (and for me the ham as well), tomato wedges, and celery leaves. Adjust seasoning (I added a bit more lime and more fish sauce). Garnish with the dried shrimp (I didn’t use) and roasted peanuts. I also reserved some celery leaves for the garnish and added some cilantro.

I had a little problem with the noodles sticking together, so I added just a tiny bit of oil to the salad before tossing everything together. Ricker’s version calls for shallot oil - not much, but just enough to avoid that problem. I would include it in the future I’ve found the best way to get everything incorporated is to just get down and dirty and use your hands. There were some things in Ricker’s recipe I missed in this one. He uses some pickled garlic, and some juice from the pickled garlic as part of the acid in the dressing. My version of this dish came out quite hot, because I used hot ground chiles. This dish should have a kick to it, but I usually just use fresh chiles and not ground. We both really liked this at Casa de Mel. I can’t say it’s the best version I’ve made, but I will take away elements of it that will influence future versions.

11 Likes

You can’t say that one’s not pretty–looks like a perfect summer lunch!
I’d love to know more about the vegan ham so I can see if my Thai market has something comparable. This one looks like I can easily adapt it to my Thai chili palate (appropriately described as “wuss.”)

How have I eaten Thai food for so long and never encountered this much use of celery leaf?!

This is what I buy. It is in the frozen section, and in the store where I buy it is grouped with other meat analogues, like vegan shrimp. I don’t think the vegan shrimp is worth buying because it has zero nutritional value (made of konjac). But the ham is soy-based and surprisingly good. Like I said above, I will pan-fry cubes of it, and add the tiniest sprinkle of sugar… people love it. It comes in big chubs, so what I do when I buy it is thaw it enough that I can slice it into about 2" cylinders, then I vacuum seal those individually and freeze them. I should also caveat that I have only used this vegan ham in Asian applications.

You can certainly work with the heat levels in this dish. If you want it milder, omit the ground chile altogether (which is not that common an ingredient), and for the fresh chile maybe use a seeded jalapeño, serrano, or Fresno.

4 Likes

BEEF SHANK (TEMPEH) MATSAMAN CURRY - ebook
If you use beef shank as directed in the recipe, this curry will be an afternoon project, but with some fried tempeh and sautéed portobello substituted in for the meat, it goes much faster. You still want a slow simmer, just to allow the potatoes to fully cook and to absorb the flavors of the curry. The recipe has you cooking the beef shank for 3+ hours, and cooking the potatoes separately in boiling water. I saw no reason not to cook them in the sauce. The curry paste (I used the homemade version from this book) is fried in coconut fat, then coconut milk is added. I added the potatoes immediately, along with the other seasonings (toasted cassia bark, cardamom, star anise). The recipe calls for a couple bay leaves. I used cassia leaves here. Oh, yes, and onion, I put that in earlier than suggested as well. Fish sauce, tamarind, and a bit of sugar rounded out the flavorings. So, I really didn’t follow the recipe exactly, but my main goal was to try out the matsaman curry paste from the book. The curry as a whole was delicious, and I think cooking the potatoes in the sauce was a good move, as they picked up a lot of flavor.

9 Likes

I ran out of my Basmati (eta: should read as Jasmine) rice from Thailand and was only able to purchase Cedar Brand.
I did the 1:1 ratio and it was too dry.
On the back of the package it says to use 1 1/2 cups water per cup of rice.
Now, I understand why Ina Garten recommended to follow the instructions on the back of the Basmati rice package.

1 Like

Did you mean jasmine?

1 Like

Yes, I meant Jasime thanks Mel.
Ina Garten suggests that method for Basmati rice.
Sorry one track mind today.
I guess it depends on where the Jasmine rice is from.
The one from Thailand is 1:1 for sure.
The Cedar Jasmine requires 1.5 cups water to 1 cup of rice.

1 Like

NORTHEASTERN MINCED CHICKEN SALAD P. 74
You start by mincing the optional galangal. Had to buy a package for 1 slice. You mince this and toast in a skillet, then place in a bowl. To this you add sliced shallots, red chile powder, fish sauce and lime juice. Brown the meat with water, then add to bowl. Toasted rice powder, cilantro and mint is then added to bowl. This is meant to be eaten alongside cabbage wedges.
I chopped my cabbage and put the prepared mixture on top.

I followed the recipe with slight variations:
Used more meat than recipe called for
Used Aleppo pepper instead of crushed Thai chiles
Added about an extra T. of lime juice
Only had medium grain rice which I toasted and ground (mostly)
Added some Thai basil

I thought the dish was pretty good but it needed something else in seasoning. I don’t know what. Would be nice if one of you that is familiar with cooking the cuisine would try it.

9 Likes

In my experience sometimes a book can generate lots of discussion, but when folks begin cooking from it things quiet down. Just because a book has tons of posts in the thread doesn’t mean it was a popular cookbook, in my opinion a successful COTM isn’t one that generates discussion, it is one that inspires us to cook from it. That is the type book I want to discover on the COTMs; the book that will be used over and over again. Those months are long if the book isn’t a success, and to think that could drag to two isn’t something I’m in favor of.

I totally get the sentiment though, there have been times I can’t keep up even reading the posts much less cooking along. That was the great thing about CH = I could always revisit. (Waaah, I miss that.)

3 Likes

KHAI JIAO MU SAP | GROUND PORK OMELET

As @Mr_Happy mentioned the method, this omelet is deep fried with a lot of oil. Not bad, but still a lot of oil

5 Likes

While we can’t revisit the old CH posts, we will be able to revisit the COTM posts here on HO! I intend to revisit this book when my holy basil comes up in my yard. It grows like a weed here, but it is one of the later plants to come up in the spring, so it will be another month or so before I have harvestable amounts. I understand mourning what we lost over on CH, but we’ve found a an opportunity here to continue and expand it, embracing new people into the COTM fold. I am extremely grateful for that.

I do agree that it is hard, almost impossible, to tell when a book becomes COTM, if it will be one that people really latch on to and cook from, or if it will be one where only a few people cook, while others watch (and comment) from the sidelines. Through our regular nomination process, if people wanted to continue a book, it could be done. Same with revisits of past books.

8 Likes

KHO MU YANG | GRILLED PORK NECK WITH DRIED CHILE DIPPING SAUCE

IMG_8278

Pork shoulder was marinated with a sauce consisted with oyster sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, rum. I marinated for nearly 1 day in fridge, the book recommended 3-4 hours. I changed the cooking method to high temperature oven grill, as I didn’t want to light my barbecue grill for the small amount of meat I prepared. I cooked for about 15 minutes. I skipped the cucumber and tomato as I’ve prepared other vegetables for the meal.

The dried chile sauce was really good. I cut the proportion into 1/3 for this dish. Mixed chopped shallot, cilantro, fish sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, toasted rice powder and dried bird’s eye chiles grinded into powder.

I like the dish, especially the sauce.

12 Likes

Bird eye’s chili is hotter than aleppo pepper, maybe that is what is missing? I believe generous use of fresh herbs and vegetables is importable for this dish, as it is a salad, not a meat dish. Did you use napa cabbage?

2 Likes

GREEN CURRY PASTE (in action)

I didn’t really want to put this one under the beef and Thai eggplant green curry, since I used neither ingredient. I used the green curry paste described upthread to make a curry using fried tofu, mushrooms, green beans, and red bell peppers. Used the pretty standard technique, similar to the green curry in the book, of frying the paste in some coconut fat before adding coconut milk and the other ingredients. I have now used three of the curry pastes from the book and they all perform well. It really gets down to niggling on details to decide that these are better or worse than other respected books. These are absolutely worth making and cooking with.

11 Likes

I plan to try this thanks for posting @LulusMom1.
I’m not sure if you know so just sharing information.
It depends on the Soy Sauce used as Tamari is less salty than other Soy Sauces.
Also Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt is less salty than Sea Salt.
If using Table Salt (many people bake with it) it is very easy to oversalt a dish using Table Salt.

3 Likes

SPICY BASIL CHICKEN AND FRIED EGGS ON RICE (KHAO RAT PHAT KA-PHRAO KAI KHAI DAO)

I made a slightly modified version of this dish tonight and very much enjoyed it. In contrast to Rainy, I scaled this version way down - making a 1/3 of a recipe for myself for dinner tonight. Otherwise, I made it as written (Rainy’s described the method above), though I believe my basil was also Thai, not holy, and I cooked my crispy eggs separately in far less oil than the recipe prescribed (using Julia Turshen’s crispy egg method from Small Victories - worked great!) I didn’t make the recommended chile fish sauce to serve with it (I didn’t scan that recipe!), and ended up using a little sweet chile sauce instead, which nicely cut the richness of the runny yolk and the salt of the meat. I think the cucumber relish also would have been great with it, though. Maybe next time!

IMG_8820

11 Likes

Not sure about your experience, but I’ve found it very hard to replicate store bought toasted/ground rice powder at home – mine is never quite savory/nutty enough. Could be an issue? Also maybe try frying extra shallots in oil and then browning the meat in that oil.

1 Like

The dish was spicy enough for me. I used regular cabbage. My fish sauce was old and not the best brand. I don’t know how much difference that makes. The toasted rice powder was somewhat of a nuisance since it took at least twice as long as estimated to toast and although is was golden it probably could have been darker. I used more meat than I should have and I definitely would like it more saucy. I had the leftovers today. It was a bit spicier and I would have added more lime if I had one. I liked it enough to make again. I just thought it needed something else but have no experience cooking Thai food.

2 Likes