Sichuan Cottage (Marlboro, NJ ) Updates

What @eleeper said

:arrow_up::arrow_up::arrow_up: !

My guess would be it’s for sale to make stock.

3 Likes

The broth was the clear/white style you mentioned. Perfect lamb flavor with fantastic mouth feel, even before we embellished the base with added ingredients. Most certainly the happy result from hours of bone stock reduction.

I love lamb meat, especially the choice boney sections boiled or braised til silky tender. With whole fresh hanging lamb in front of us we opted for the parts not readily available back home.

Hope this won’t be too gross for some. Tripe, intestines and other offal was added to further enrich the pot. Then brain, blood and penis for the main proteins.

Some veggies, fried rice and a couples of bing to round out the meal.

Wife was so giddy with our lamb score ghat she allowed me to have 3x100ml Chinese white lightning. (She helped)

7 Likes

I’ve lost track–where was this hot pot?

Sorry, I’m trespassing. :slight_smile:

This was in Chengdu, Sichuan. We were roaming, hoping to find a lamb hot pot meal. This placed pretty much screamed out at us.

1 Like

That is an epic hot pot!! I love all of the nasty bits you mentioned, though I’ve yet to try penis. One of these days! Was there any actual meat in it?

@corvette_johnny I think the lamb hot pot at cottage is basically in this style, but it all comes out as one dish, it has lamb pieces and glass noodles in it. Pretty good change of pace from the spicy dishes, but it was a little heavy on the msg. Though I got it takeout so I can’t speak to the restaurant experience.

2 Likes
2 Likes

between this one and the other nj/bj typo thread, perhaps we need a HO After Dark thread available for those so inclined. At least the pictures will be interesting…

5 Likes

Is that your stomach growling because you too are excited to try penis?

2 Likes

No…no…no I can assure you it’s not.

1 Like

So…If it’s not your stomach that is excited…Dare I ask what part of you it is?

3 Likes

Not to move this thread away from penis, but …

Took my daughter here for lunch today. It’s funny when you get somebody who only has had the Americanized version of Kung Pow Chicken and they try this one. It’s like a whole different dish. We also shared the Ants Climbing the Tree.

7 Likes

So true. Have not had Kung Pow in the USA in recent memory.

Had it recently in Chengdu (when in Rome…). Wouldn’t say it’s a different dish altogether, but good enough to order twice in a one week visit.

Even with all the chile, didn’t find the dish overwhelmingly spicy. I’m fairly certain we didn’t get a tamer version than the natives. Or, maybe our tolerance level had crossed a higher threshold.

6 Likes

Went today for (Lunar) New Year’s Eve. We had Kung Pao Chicken, Shredded Beef with Hot Green Peppers, and Boneless Spare Ribs. Mark claimed it was the best meal he had had there (but he doesn’t like anything with Sichuan peppers, so that’s part of it). The Kung Pao was so much better than what you get at other restaurants (and listed under authentic dishes).

So another bullseye for Sichuan Cottage, and “Gong hei fat choy!” to everyone .

3 Likes

Got one last quart of Westlake Beef Chowder and various and sundry other things to go today. I hope I will eat their food again.

1 Like

Did they say they were closing? We hoped to get food there next week.

He said he’s not sure about anything. If Murphy follows NY’s example then he could stay open.

Oh, and @CurlzNJ I did hoist a spoon of soup to you!

1 Like

I got food there on Sunday.

1 Like

Got takeout again a couple days ago. Very good.

2 Likes