Sichuan Cottage (Marlboro, NJ ) Updates

Happy Birthday! That sounds like my kind of celebratory meal.

Happy Cake Day! (keeping it about food ;o)

1 Like

:tada: happy birthday! I’m glad you got to one of your favorite spots. I need to get over there soon. This thread is making me hungry.

2 Likes

SAAAAAME!

(more words)

1 Like

Sitting down now almost in a food coma at SC.

7 Likes

West Lake Chowder and soup buns, but what are the other two?

I get the beef with roasted chili EVERY time. No matter how much exploring of their menu I want to do, I cant resist.

1 Like

Is that the fish in chili oil that @joonjoon turned us on to?!? :heart_eyes:

@eleeper the beef with hot oil (closest dish) is a favorite of mine and @gcaggiano too. The other dish is bacon with sour cabbage in the hot pot.

@CurlzNJ I have had the fish with hot oil in the hot pot based on joon’s recommendation, but I never had the pleasure of experiencing a HOdown there.

I’m home now downing some kombucha. I need a little sweet to balance out some of that sodium :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks. We always go at lunch time and the (Chinese) lunch menu is extensive enough that we just order from that (plus the West Lake Chowder, of course :slight_smile: ), and the beef isn’t on it. Maybe next time we’ll branch out.

1 Like

That dish has some heat so make sure you’re a spicy food fan.

1 Like

Mark is one of those for whom pfall was invented because they didn’t think vindaloo hot enough. :fire::fire:
I once made a chili recipe calling for a teaspoon of American chili powder, for which I substituted 2 tablespoons of ground red chiles (I just wanted to double the amount, but misread the units). Mark thought it was quite tasty. He also eats all the dried red chiles in the Three Pepper Chicken.

5 Likes

That’s the beef one, it’s the exact same dish other than the protein. I like both the beef and fish versions but usually prefer the fish one.

BTW I got takeout from Jinli recently and tried their beef in hot oil and it was super spicy and delicious, definitely brought the heat. The sauce/broth was a little gloppier than I’m used to but still great. I think JinLi might be a little spicier on default than Cottage, their spicy dumplings were pretty rockin too.

@corvette_johnny I haven’t tried the bacon and sour cabbage before, how did you like it? Is the first picture west lake chowder?

1 Like

It was ok. I wouldn’t order it again. I wish we got a cumin lamb hot pot.

Good to hear Jin Li is going strong.

Ps…yes that is the beef chowder.

1 Like

Jonesing for lamb hotpot a couple of days ago. Didn’t take long before we saw this meat spectacle. Fresh meat on the hoof. Urge satisfied.

Lamb hot pot IS good! :slight_smile:

• some random restaurant in Chengdu, Sichuan.
    ** the Chinese for lamb and goat is the same written and spoken word. Even money the “lamb” dish one orders in a Chinese restaurants is likely goat.
4 Likes

What did your hot pot look like? That’s some epic meal prep.

@corvette_johnny I want to say I’ve gotten the lamb hot pot there before and it’s a clear/white broth without any sauce/spices in it, but I can’t remember for sure. It’s tasty but not what you might have in mind.

1 Like

Yeah that isn’t the dish I’m thinking of. The bacon hot pot was filled with clear noodles and was more of a soup. It wasn’t what I was expecting, but I’m slowly working my way through the menu.

@Google_Gourmet what is up with the hanging skeleton? Do they sell that or is it just hanging there to dispose of later?

1 Like

I think Mark will be fine then. It is spicy but not painful imo.

For some reason, I’ve never tried Sichuan Cottage and I am looking to rectify this omission. I would appreciate a handful of must orders to get the real flavor for this place. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

West Lake Beef Chowder, Three Pepper Chicken, Lamb w. Cumin Flavor, Fish Filet w. Roasted Chili in Hot Oil…

2 Likes