Sichuan Cottage (Marlboro, NJ ) Updates

Any favorites?

Not as adventurous as you: Spicey wonton in hot oil, boneless spareribs, Gen Tsoā€™s chicken and shrimp, Singapore thin rice noodle, Sichaun chicken.

1 Like

Adventurous is not necessary; anything that keeps them in business and open is good. (Alas, with Passover starting tomorrow, it will be at least ten days before I can go back there. :cry: )

1 Like

Called and called Thursday, no answer. Ended up going to Asia Star Cafe.

As mentioned in the Supermarket thread, I was in Sichuan Cottageā€™s neighborhood this afternoon so I drove by before I hit the market. The door was open so I went in and asked to place order for pick up in an hour. which was no problem. Came back an hour later and my order was ready. West Lake Chowder, Wontons in Chili Oil, Dan Dan Noodles, Cumin Lamb and Fish Filets with Eggplant (iā€™ve been on an eggplant kick lately). Everything was delicious and best of all thereā€™s enough left over for breakfast tomorrow.

7 Likes

You. Are. KILLING. Me.

2 Likes

And me.

1 Like

The Evelyns have spoken. :rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

Got takeout here yesterday. The first time I called around 3:30pm (to beat the Saturday evening rush) no one answered. I think they are sometimes understaffed and no one to answer the phone.

2 Likes

We had takeout their Friday. The Three Pepper Chicken, as usual, made my mouth numb and tingly.

2 Likes

It is possible that a VERY. LOVELY. PERSON. gave me a container of West Lake Beef Chowder recently. It was DELICIOUS. One of these days when I have room in my fridge/freezer again Iā€™m going to have to make the trip and load up.

3 Likes

Got a few dishes for lunch today. Fast and tasty. I love this place.

2 Likes

Havenā€™t been in a while, we have been getting free ubereats money so weā€™ve been going to Jinli. :frowning:

You get anything new and exciting?

1 Like

Friday was another Sichuan Cottage run: Steamed Pork Dumplings, Three Pepper Chicken, Fish Filets and Eggplant, Pork in Sweet and Sour Hot Bean Sauce, Cellophane Noodles with Minced Pork ) a.k.a. ā€œAnts Climbing a Treeā€), and one new dish, Short Ribs and Bitter Melon in Black Bean Sauce. Sorry, no pictures, in part because not everything got served Friday.

The Short Ribs came is a slightly larger container, which was because there is a bed of cellophane noodles in it. (Iā€™m glad I didnā€™t pair this with the Cellophane Noodles in our first meal.) It was very tasty, and the bitter melon reminded me of cactus, but I am not a fan of the bone and more specifically gristle that comes with ribs. Luckily there were quite a few ā€œmeat-onlyā€ pieces, and Mark does like the different consistencies, so I let him have most of the meat, while I concentrated on the Three Pepper Chicken (which has the brown pepper Mark is not keen on). The Cellophane Noodles (paired with the Fish Filets for the first meal, as well as the Dumplings) were delightfully spicy, and I expect the remaining dish will be fine as well. (We prefer Fried Dumplings, but for take-out, Steamed Dumplings are better.)

Three meals for two people came to $85 with tip. (And when I told her to put a tip on the credit card, the woman was surprised (and pleased, of course)). Just a reminder: with so little business, none of these folks are making their normal amounts, so donā€™t skimp the tip.

5 Likes

Thank you for the detailed descriptions and pairings. I keep a list of what you recommend as I easily get confused about which dish is which when I get there.

Have you ever tried quickly searing the steamed dumplings when you get home? That little crisp on the outside makes a big difference to me.

2 Likes

Full disclosure: I have a few dishes in the Notes on my phone listing for SC. :grin:

2 Likes

My Sister!

1 Like

I have their entire menu, and notes. Also for Shanghai Bun.

1 Like

Iā€™m glad to see that the members of this group have the right priorities. I have similar notes in my phone and a standing request from one of my brothers to update him when I add new places or dishes.

4 Likes

My biggest issue recently was I decided to try Jinli and in same cases had a hard time ā€œtranslatingā€ Sichuan Cottageā€™s menu to theirs. Iā€™m not sure if I ended up with congruent food but everything was really good. I did add some of their menu items to my list of entrees to order.

1 Like