Sichuan Cottage (Marlboro, NJ ) Updates

Anytime you want, text me and I will meet you there.

1 Like

After @joonjoon reminded me about this place during yesterday’s HO meal, I mentioned it again to my husband and we went for dinner last night. I was glad I gave this thread a quick read and called ahead to reserve a table. By 615/630 there was a huge crowd waiting. I still wasn’t hungry after dim sum and tried to keep it light. I forget to ask for the pickled veggies but the baby likes the fried noodles (of course). We ordered dry sauteed string beans (delicious), tofu and vegetables (good but I wouldn’t order again. I didn’t realize the tofu would be fried. So much for keeping it light!) And beef in hot oil. OMG this was incredible. I’m usually not a fan of spicy. It wasn’t all that spicy to my wimpy tounge. Bold flavors with a variety of spices. I picked up cinnamon and cumin. That tingly sensation is very odd! I’m jazzed to eat it again today. Huge thanks to the group for reminding me. Only 15 minutes away!

5 Likes

Just a reminder to all–Sichuan Cottage is now closed on Tuesdays (as is Shanghai Bun).

1 Like

@gracieggg I loooove that you kept the Chinese food going yesterday! If I hadn’t been headed north for a friend’s birthday dinner, I probably would’ve picked some up on my way home to have for dinner!

I’ve said it before but it bears repeating-even if you generally don’t eat/enjoy spicy food, Sichuan is something altogether different. The heat dissipates on your tongue in a different way and it doesn’t completely kill your taste buds! A chef friend is the one who first convinced me to try it, and I haven’t looked back…glad you enjoyed it! There’s also a fish fillet version of that beef dish that @joonjoon. Introduced us to and I love that one as well.

2 Likes

That fish pot is indeed good. It is catfish. I had my friend ask the waitress (fact of the day) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Working our way through the menu…

Well, we just had what I had translated as “Sour Hot Pot with Seafood and Squid”. It’s been too long since we had the soup to compare, but I can at least correct/improve my translation; it should be “Sour Cabbage with Squid”–not a hot pot, and no other seafood. The flavor is kind of like squid with brine pickles. As with the Potatoes with Vinegar Sauce, it’s not something I would want to make an entire meal of, but as one dish shared by several people, it’s at least not the same-old, same-old.

We also had the Double-Sauteed Pork–not as fatty as last time, but still very oily, and fairly salty. (We are perhaps more sensitive to salt than others, because I rarely use it at home.)

1 Like

Just a quick note–Sichuan Cottage has (slightly) changed their menu (including Chinese lunch menu) again. Details to follow, made a bit difficult by the fact that I couldn’t manage to get the waiter to give me a Chinese lunch menu to take home, so I’m working from a printout of a photo off my cell phone. Biggest change is that their prices for their “authentic” dishes and some of their lunch menu has gone up, but there are also a few additions and deletions. Stay tuned!

2 Likes

I await your news with bated breath.

1 Like

So here it is:

The photo is practically unreadable and my notes on it even more so (it has a dark lavender background for some reason), so I will just give my translations in order. The names of anything with a number were taken by matching the main menu. Others were taken either from “The Eater’s Guide to Chinese Characters” or Jin Li’s menu. If they sound like just a list of ingredients (e.g., “Tofu Fish Diced”), I’m winging it. “???” means I haven’t a clue. (Note that they have renumbered the items in the menu to reflect additions and deletions, so if you are used to ordering by number, you may be in for a surprise!)

First column:
Steamed Chicken Leg in Hot Szechuan Sauce (903)
Steamed Chicken Leg in Hot Sesame Sauce (904)
???
Kung Pao Chicken (910)
Three-Pepper Chicken (911)
Shredded Chicken with String Beans
Double Sauteed Pork (912)
Pork with Sweet & Sour Hot Bean Sauce (915)
Shredded Beef with Hot Green Pepper (916)
Salt & Pepper Pork Chops (917)
Salt & Pepper Pork Chop Beijing Stylle (918)
Tofu Fish Diced
???
Bitter Melon Pork Chops
???
Sour Cabbbage and Squid

Second column:
Fish Filet with Eggplant (926)
Sour Hot Pot with Fish Filet
Sauteed Vermicelli with Spiced Minced Pork
???
Eggplants with Chili & Garlic Sauce
???
Potatoes with Vinegar Sauce (936)
???
Shredded Noodles Spicy Fish Filet
???
Beef Stew Casserole
Spicy Beef Stew Casserole
Sichuan Shrimp (?)
Baby Shrimp with Soft Tofu and White Sauce
Shredded Beef with Spicy Green Chile
Fish Filet and Intestine with Chili Sauce

Everything from “Shredded Noodles Spicy Fish Filet” down is $8.95 rather than $7.95. All the items in the “Authentic Sichuan Dishes” section have increased by $1, and the price of some of the lunch menus items have increased as well.

I’m not sure of the difference between left column #9 and right column #15. I suppose we’ll just have to order R-15 next time and see. :slight_smile:

New items in the “Authentic” section of the dinner menu include “Shredded Pork with Sweet Bean Sauce” and something entirely in Chinese (#935) that I haven’t translated yet.

2 Likes

Early dinner at SC last night (HINT: 5pm on a gorgeous summer Sunday is the right time to arrive–it was almost full an hour later)… the two of us had dumplings in hot chili oil, potatoes in vinegar, Chinese broccoli w garlic (amazing wok flavor), fish in hot chili oil (NOTE: now #922, used to be #921), and triple-pepper chicken. DAMN. IT. WAS. ALL. DELICIOUS.

7 Likes

Looks like prices went up a buck or two with the new menu. Damn you inflation!!

1 Like

They may have figured that if Jin Li had higher prices, they could nudge theirs up as well. That said, most of the authentic lunch specials stayed the same, and the higher priced ones are new additions.

Now if only Mark and I could agree on the desirability of brown pepper…

1 Like

Yeah I did notice that Jinli was a buck or two higher across the board. To be fair the previous prices at Cottage were insanely low.

What’s brown pepper?

1 Like

Also called Szechuan pepper–the stuff that numbs your mouth. It’s one of the peppers in Three Pepper Chicken.

1 Like

Ah of course. So who is for/against?

I like it, or at least I like some of the dishes that use it, but Mark finds it less appealing and would prefer to avoid them. In a big enough group it doesn’t matter, but with only two people, it’s hard to share.

1 Like

Today was my birthday, so Mark told me to choose anyplace I wanted for lunch. And so Sichuan Cottage it was. It’s been a while, but the Three-Pepper Chicken and Cold Noodle with Spicy Sesame Sauce were just as yummy as ever.

9 Likes

Good choice. I had take out from SC last night - beef in hot chili oil, spicy wontons, shanghai rice cakes. Delicious meal.

Oh, and Happy BDay!!!

3 Likes

Happy Birthday, Evelyn!

Happy Birthday!