Sichuan Cottage (Marlboro, NJ ) Updates

Agreed @CurlzNJ - the soup dumplings at SC are not great. Worth the drive to Shanghai Bun for really good ones.

1 Like

Funnyā€“I am always surprised\disappointed when the sesame noodles donā€™t have cucumber, since thatā€™s how I had it for years. And I agreeā€“the soup dumplings are better at Shanghai Bun. Which is why Iā€™m glad we have both restaurants so close.

SOMEONE (not naming names, but it starts with @joonjoon) promised a trip to Shanghai Bun MOONNNTHS ago. Just sayinā€™. :laughing:

Hit up SC tonight for dinner. We got there at 5:30, by 6:00 people were waiting out the door in the rain.

We had three pepper chicken, pork belly & leek, cumin lamb, spicy braise beef soup noodle and shrimp fried rice.

Everything deelishus.

This place continues to be a gem.

3 Likes

Shhhhhā€¦we need to give this place a code name so it doesnā€™t trend up and then they start jacking up prices lol.

I think I had the lamb cumin last time I was there actually. Strong dish.

2 Likes

The lamb with cumin is one of my favorites there!

Lamb is good, but Iā€™ve had that before.

The three pepper chicken was maybe my favorite last night. Itā€™s cooked then flash fried in small cubes and mixed with dried chilis, fresh chilis and Sichuan peppercorns, but no sauce.

Itā€™s a little zippy, but I like that.

1 Like

My two favorite main dishes are cumin lamb an three-pepper chicken, but my favorite dish is the West Lake Chowder.

1 Like

Isnā€™t there one lamb in the hot pot and one not, and they are slightly different? I cant remember.

Planning on going here tonight for the first time. It would be my 200th restaurant review.

1 Like

Nice! You will have fun. Iā€™d recommend soup dumplings and dumplings with hot oil to start.

3 Likes

Cumin lamb also a good choice here.

1 Like

Very good dish. In fact, that was the first dinner I got since many people raved about it.

1 Like

Ha! Iā€™m just seeing this thread but when I saw Gregā€™s post on Instgram, I told him to order the lamb!

SIdebar: I miiight have had it for lunch today, as I keep an emergency supply in the freezer. :blush:

2 Likes

Did he post food pics yet or just the fact that he was going? And no, Iā€™m not on IG either. One of these decades Iā€™m going to jump on the social media bandwagon!

2 Likes

He did, but Iā€™m going to make you wait for the post! Letā€™s just say I think he knows we know what weā€™re talking about now. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Ah nice! I hope he had a good time and comes through with a cool review :slight_smile:

Iā€™m assuming youā€™ve eaten there by now, but if youā€™ve never done authentic Sichuan before, a must get is Mapo tofu. Itā€™s probably the most famous food of the region.

I personally really love 924 on their menu, fish filet with chili & bean sauce, but the most famous of the Sichuan fish dishes is 921, fish in chili oil.

Be warned, the Sichuan peppercorns do this weird numbing electrocutioney thing to your tongue. It took me a while to get over it. Actually it still weirds me out! :stuck_out_tongue:

For something non-numby, their double sauteed pork (912) aka twice cooked pork is delicious. But I mean I donā€™t think Iā€™ve had anything there that wasnā€™t really delicious.

1 Like

He was there for dinner last nightā€¦but I :heart: #921 thanks to you, @joonjoon!

So, last night was fantastic (as I expected). I know cumin lamb is the favorite, but I am not too big on cumin and not knowing how it was prepared, I chose to skip itā€¦this time. Either way, the beef with roasted chili in hot oil was calling my name. Fantastic and an enormous portion. @joonjoon you are correct about the numbing effect. I was expecting a tear-inducing amount of spice, but instead, it was milder than I thought but my mouth and tongue did tingle. My bf had the three pepper chicken. At times, I thought it was hotter than what I had. Loved the selection of chopped peppers. For appetizers, we had the minced chicken lettuce wraps and I just had to do the scallion pancake. Total homerun. Would definitely return.

Pics and full review to come. :slight_smile:

2 Likes