Sichuan Cottage (Marlboro, NJ ) Updates

Let me be the first to say, “We told you so!”

Next time try the West Lake Beef Chowder–my favorite in the soups.

2 Likes

Thanks for the rec on the non-numby dish. I like a lot of the numby ones (esp. Three Pepper Chicken (911) and Fish Filet with Roasted Chili (921), but Mark is a non-numby person. (I think the Lamb with Cumin may be non-numby, but it’s not on the lunch menu.)

By the way, Greg, I posted a link to a translation of the lunch menu a while ago. (It’s a PDF, so it will probably download rather than display.)

Don’t kid yourself… Lamb with cumin will numb you a bit as well! But if you don’t like cumin, this is not the dish for you… That makes me sad, but hey – more for me. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I love cumin! I buy it in bulk (well, small bulk) at Patel’s because those dinky jars in the supermarket would last me only 2 or 3 recipes.

I also love cilantro, and anchovies (though not together).

1 Like

I learned a new word today, electrocutioney. Sweet! I need to somehow use that soon lol.

Standing by for the Greg review.

Here is the question. Why does this place turn out such good food? Is it an owner that demands greatness, or is it a long time executive chef that just nails it? I’m always wondering why there is so much crappy Chinese food and these guys can hit a home run. I don’t think I’ve had anything less than a good dish there.

2 Likes

There is crappy Chinese food because Chinese restaurant owners understand the majority of Americans think sweet and sour chicken is Chinese food.

2 Likes

I remember the first time I had something that caused that tingliness - Dandan noodles maybe? I loved the taste but after eating some I had some water and the water was AWFUL. It tasted like metal. So bad that I asked for another glass. It was just as bad. It wasn’t until later I realized it was a reaction to the food. It hasn’t stopped me from eating anything but now I drink beer.

I believe it was from the Sichuan peppercorns.

2 Likes

Yes! It’s def the Sichuan peppercorns! I :heart: them. :grin: I believe they’re part of the Chinese concept of Ma La, which is what you get when you combine those hot chili peppers and the peppercorns! My friends and I have said for years that you get a bit of a high when you eat a lot of the peppercorns… and I love the ‘lip glow’…

2 Likes

My review of Sichuan Cottage. For some reason it is not letting me post the pictures. You can click the blog link at the bottom to see them, and I will try to add them separately tomorrow.

I wanted my 200th restaurant review to be of a solid restaurant. As an avid reader and contributor to the Hungry Onion message board, I have noticed a love affair with a particular Chinese restaurant. That place is Sichuan Cottage in Marlboro. While the board is a place for debate over dining, there seems to be something about this establishment. All agree it may have the best Chinese food in Monmouth County, while others argue it could be the best in our home state of New Jersey altogether. For me, I wanted to go there for months. But I waited until the time was right. Just the other day, it finally arrived: my first experience with not only this restaurant, but authentic Sichuan food in general. I put a lot of trust in my comrades!

Sure, it has a lot of the usual Chinese suspects. There is the Pu Pu Platter, egg rolls, and chicken and broccoli. But like some other spots I have tried, like Matawan’s Shanghai Bun, you are truly doing yourself a disservice if you walk into somewhere like this and order General Tso’s. I’m no snob, but I think I would look down on such people. There is a time and a place for everything, and dinnertime at Sichuan Cottage is not the time nor the place for Sweet and Sour Chicken. Instead, after perusing the appetizers, do yourself a favor and skip right to the last page for the authentic Sichuan dishes.

Justin and I both wanted to try something different. For appetizers, we ordered the minced chicken lettuce wraps and the familiar scallion pancakes. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the wraps were of the build-your-own variety. Two separate plates arrived, one for the chicken and the other for the lettuce. The leaves were large and crunchy, perfect for filling. The chicken mixture was outstanding. It was tender and juicy, mixed with peas and carrots. There was also a sauce present, but it was light and not overpowering. The effervescent flavor of ginger managed to linger during our chowing down of this plate but never was it too strong. As for the scallion pancakes, I could take them or leave them. Not bad, but I have definitely had better. The pancakes were too thick and there was not enough scallion present—could barely taste them. But to this place’s credit, they were crispy and not greasy whatsoever.

After finishing this part of the meal, we were excited with what was to come. After reading the Hungry Onion, most members recommended the Cumin Lamb. I thought about it but I am not the biggest fan of cumin. Not sure how exactly it was prepared, I chose to skip over the seeming house favorite and go with what screamed out to my heart: the beef with roasted chili in hot chili oil. Everyone here knows I love spicy food, so I wanted to tackle this. I was expecting something lethal. This was a food which was going to grab me by the tongue and drag me to hell. It arrived and I was impressed. There were chili seeds and chunks of the pepper everywhere. I admit, I was intimidated. But then I started to eat it.

What I was met with was something much more unique. This dish was not terrifyingly spicy. I didn’t rush for the water. I didn’t choke up. Instead, the heat was mild. Indeed, it built up over time—a slow burn—but it remained mild even as I started to sweat and reached for a tissue in my pocket. This certainly was not the hottest thing I’ve ever eaten in my life, but it managed to do something I never experienced: it made my mouth numb. Yes, for a moment, the sides of my mouth felt as if I was injected with a weak strain of Novocaine. My tongue tingled. I looked over at Justin who was deep into his similarly spicy Three Pepper Chicken. He too paused from eating in a brief moment of self-examination. I think we were both curious to whether this was mind-over-matter of if we were truly experiencing numbness.

When I returned home, I read the Hungry Onion to see other people’s experiences of numbing mouths. It was true. Mine did not last a long time, but it was there. Something in the Sichuan peppercorns and flakes performs this magic on your taste-buds. Although I first looked at the bowl when it arrived and said, “There’s no way I am finishing that. Leftovers await!”, I managed to scarf down all of it. I felt like an addict compulsively making the rounds. There was no stopping me. It was that good. The portion was enormous, by the way. Large, tender, no-fat-to-em chunks of beef in a huge bowl with chili oil, the peppers themselves, and shredded vegetables. What actually sent this dish over the edge was the addition of raw, minced garlic to the top. That extra, little burst of flavor made me smile.

Meanwhile, Justin’s Three Pepper Chicken was also outstanding. As outlined in this previous review of Temple, I am no fan of being presented with a dish of fried chicken. Sichuan Cottage made it work, though. The chicken was chopped so fine that it made it easier to eat (and easier on the eyes). There must have been hundreds of pepper pieces, both red and green chili, and somehow, even though mine looked sinister, I felt his was spicier. Everything on the plate was crispy. There was no grease or sogginess anywhere. Unlike me, he had some leftovers.

The complimentary dessert of orange slices was a welcome sight. It was a light and refreshing way to end a meal so overwhelming with spice and flavor. I knew this was a winner right away. While Justin thought it was good from the start, it wasn’t until the next day when he hit up his leftovers that he exclaimed, “Damn, this place is great”. Marlboro isn’t exactly around the corner, but the next time we feel like sit-down Chinese food, we will make this the destination. This tiny restaurant (only 10 tables) cranks out gigantic flavors. Located in an unassuming strip mall, you would never realize what awaits you. Hell, I passed by this place most of my life. It took a message board to make me aware.

I am going to give Sichuan Cottage 4 out of 5 stars, but I can see that climbing on future visits. I am so happy I ended up here for my 200th restaurant review. There are so many Chinese restaurants out there, and this one is a cut above. We have already discussed our next visit and both agreed that it would be hard to not order the same entrees (but would switch up the appetizers). Thank you to my Hungry Onion friends (or HO’s as we say) for this awesome recommendation.

Originally posted here on my blog.

5 Likes

I’m glad you enjoyed it Greg. As usual, nice report as well.

So what are you getting for your next visit?

Btw, I hit hoc up yesterday for lunch. It is the first time I’ve been there in many years (sitting inside that is, not take out or delivery.)

That place is indeed hilarious! The decor is just so 80s. It is like walking into a time machine. I’m going to stick an “iroc parking only” sign out front lol

Here are the pics:

hc2
Lettuce Wraps and Scallion Pancakes

sc2
Beef with Roasted Chili in Hot Chili Oil

sc3
Three Pepper Chicken

1 Like

I think I will go with the wontons in hot oil for an app, definitely. For my meal, I may stick with the beef I had.

House of Chong is hilarious. Good food, but the decor is a blast from the past. It was probably already dated when I was born in 91. I don’t know about lunch, but for dinner, Mr. Chong himself acts as the host. He must be in his late 70’s or beyond. He always looks prepared, as if a massive rush will soon take over the restaurant. I have been there 4 times now. Not once was there ever more than 3 tables taken. Unless they do well on Sundays with Chinese families, the place is dead (though they do have a steady stream of takeout coming from the kitchen). The waiters are all elderly. I don’t think it is an exaggeration to put them in their late 70’s as well. All original. That is loyalty.

2 Likes

Wow that three pepper chicken looks sinister!

The dumplings in hot oil could be in a very similar oil to the beef you had. I can imagine this but let us know. I haven’t had that beef dish, but you’ve inspired me to try it next time.

Hoc had one table of 2 at 2:15 when I walked in. You’re probably right on the takeout. That has to be how they survive. And yes, my pleasant waiter was elderly but nice and very attentive. I think he botched my friends order up. She got chop suey instead of chowmein I think. For 7.25 we didn’t say anything lol

1 Like

The three pepper chicken was sinister. My beef looked scarier, but the chicken snuck up on us and really packed a punch. Especially when we ate the leftovers the next day…my goodness!

Yes, takeout and probably being in the same location 30+ years has saved HOC. I heard a rumor (not sure if it was from a friend or on here) that the son is going to be taking over soon. There was a young gentleman there the last two times on a laptop doing business. Maybe he’s learning the ropes. Then again, this young man is probably is his 40’s lol.

Mr. Chong must love it if he’s still hanging in there. It cannot be for the money anymore. Between rent (unless they own the place), liquor license, and overhead heating/cooling that massive place, there is no way they can even break even on just takeout and 5 tables a night. It kind of sucks because even though it is dated, I still love the tacky decor. And the bar is really nice though no one is ever there. Probably in its heyday it was packed with people sipping Mai Tai’s while waiting for a table.

@gcaggiano the spicy baby wontons are a muuuust. Imo you can’t have too much of that chili oil!! :heart:
And of course if you give me a 30-60 min heads-up I can meet you there and we can try a bunch of dishes!

1 Like

I’m game for that! :smiley:

Honestly, I was worried about the chili oil and my stomach. I happen to have a gut made of cast iron, but grease/oil can take any man down. No adverse reactions from Sichuan Cottage, happy to say.

2 Likes

Yeah the water definitely activates the electric feeling of the sichuan peppercorns. The closest thing I can relate it to is how your tongue feels when you touch a 9v battery to it. So weird!!

1 Like

But in a good way. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

We should see if we can round up a group for a HOdown. I missed the last one there. I think it was a while back and I never made it. I recall reading some great things.

@CurlzNJ I think you need to do your magic :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Did Justin survive the pepper chicken without any issues? Lol