Sichuan, Beijing, Taiwanese, and Hong Kong food in Davis, CA

Anyone been to Hometown Taiwanese kitchen and bar on G St.?

After a requisite breakfast at Konditorei, I had a late lunch at Chengdu Style recently. The whole grilled fish was on special for $19.99, a tilapia, served with a generous assortment of veggies etc. including black mushroom slices, wood ear fungus, spring bamboo shoots, potato slices, western onions, Serrano pepper or jalapeños, peanuts, and tofu bamboo. Oil-based seasoning bath was a good match for tilapia, but I was even more satisfied with all the sides, which appealed to my vegetable-oriented mood.

I loved the interplay of the acidic/sweet pickled peppers and western onion, and the light citrusy hints of green Sichuan peppercorns, in this wood ear fungus cold appetizer.

3 Likes

This is the place in Mansion Square? I haven’t been I think since early last year but I am not in Davis much these days. A friend mentioned they changed ownership?

It moved! According to the yelp page, it’s the same owners, Steve and Jean Lee, who I know owned the place formerly in the Shanghai Town space, the gas station off of Richards, and recently in Mansion Square.

1 Like

Ah hometown! Yeah they moved to their new location though I think the beef noodle soup has gotten smaller :frowning:

and super random, but I went to a place called Hong Kong Cafe last year and there were some dishes that was HK style based but most of the people that ate there spoke mandarin and didn’t really order those dishes.

The baked pork chop over rice was okay, wish it was baked a little hotter? At least to get the cheese to melt a bit better. From my brief notes I think I wrote that I would have preferred the sauce to be a little less sweet.

But the bigger enjoyment was some of the interesting typos on the menu:

Gotta get me some steamed kids and flavored pork…

5 Likes

I returned again to Chengdu Style and regretfully forgot to take photos.

A fun dish to share is Boboji, a Sichuan roulette game in which a variety of treasures, attached to skewers, are submerged in a bath of spiced oil. I enjoyed the chicken gizzards, tofu bamboo, cauliflower, rolled up seaweed, and quail eggs during the meal, and was happy to find a bunch of tripe in the leftovers.

Dan Dan Mian had the requisite ya cai to add fermented flavors and a good amount of greenery, but an abundance of sesame paste or peanut butter dominated. Looking back, I didn’t care for the version at their Berkeley location either, though it was very different.

The beef and pepper (jalapeño?) dry pot was a winner, and had the obscene portion size you’d expect in a college town, with fragrant cumin and chili spicing up beef and spring bamboo.