Shrubs and fruit vinegars!

Where is it avail?

Right now our only active location is Booth 49 in the Red Buildimg at the Englishtown Auction. Where you can also get breakfast, excellent fried chicken & remarkable hamburgers. Sorry for the shameless commerce…

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

I am still enjoying this '21 tomato shrub, and this ''22 fig shrub; should I be worried about this going “bad” with regard to quality or safety? I keep it refrigerated.

1 Like

FWIW we’re still drinking '22 shrubs with no consequences.

Thus far for '23 I’ve made strawberry and red currant.

2 Likes

They were meant to preserve by definition, so whiile you may eventually get some degradation of flavor, but especially in the fridge, I don’t think you risk them having gone bad.

1 Like

Tomato -celery (and cilantro and coriander) shrub '23.

I’m wanting to try a peach shrub, adjusting the sugar for the amount of chopped peaches I have.

This one has equal amounts of sugar and chopped peaches by volume.

This one has one cup sugar to one pound peaches.

This one has one cup sugar to four/one pound peaches. 4 peaches was 2.5 cups for me. Forgot to weigh!.

This one is 6 cups pitted and chopped peaches 3 cups granulated sugar; 1/2 as much sugar as chopped peaches by volume! :smiley:

I’m pretty sure I made that peach-ginger one - but I can’t find evidence!

1 Like

Trying it! Do you rember how you felt about how sweet it was?

I don’t! Now I want to make it again!

1 Like

I’m planning on making it too after you mentioned this to me in a different post. I don’t have white balsamic, so I’ll probably mix champagne vinegar with apple cider vinegar.

I macerated the peaches and ginger in sugar overnight, and added 1 cup white balsamic, and 1/2 cup ACV today.

The recipe I’m using says I should be adding more white balsamic, but the ratios of sugar to fruit, and fruit to vinegar, seems to vary quite a bit.

Here’s my peach and ginger shrub starter. The recipe is from Shrubs: An Old-Fashioned Drink for Modern Times by Michael Dietsch. It calls for the usual peach, ginger and sugar. A stick of cinnamon is soaked in the white wine vinegar while the fruit macerates. We made several shrubs last year - this was our favorite.

4 Likes

Looks good!

I have that on Kindle. The ratio of sugar to peach in that one is 1 cup sugar to 1.5 pounds (about 6 peaches), and 1 cup vinegar. I’d love to hear what you think.

I’ve made this one before. I thought it was pretty much perfect as written, and made a double batch today.

Great! I won’t add any more vinegar to mine. Maybe it’s time for a taste!

Do taste.

Just FYI: I made apple shrub last year (it was good), and processed some of it in a waterbath canner. The acidity was notably dulled in the canned version, compared to the unprocessed version. It was shelf-stable, however, which was a plus.

1 Like

Not shrub, but in that vein, andIneed to use some cucumbers.

Making fig and cinnamon shrub from the Michael Dietsch Book. I chopped the figs (with my newly restored chef’s knife; thank you @Eiron ) rather than pureed them, and accidentally added sugar to macerated then had to remove it, and add the vinegar instead, but looking forward to it! I think it’s my favorite.

6 Likes