Shrubs and fruit vinegars!

A t-bar is just a cork with a plastic top.

1 Like

I’m glad you were able to get your bottles. I have so much stuff I get in a tizzy about, and don’t use.

Hey @JoeBabbitt ! Is that Boheme Foods shrub in the picture in July '19 yours? Beautiful!

Michael Dietrich on More complex shrubs

I dont see a pic in that link but if its Boheme its us. Thanks for the compliment.

1 Like

Another shrub pic:

Pineapple-jalapeno, blueberry- ginger & Pomegranate & rosemary in the upper right.

1 Like

In an unrelated matter, a local bartender has donated some cases of expired beer. I’m going to try my hand at making malt vinegar.

1 Like

@JoeBabbitt and others; what should I expect if I sub piconcillo for turbines sugar in a tomato-celery shrub?

Turbinado sugar.

A pretty different flavor.

Like adding molasses as a main flavoring agent.

I use turbinado in tea and coffee with no change in flavor (vs white sugar). But if I use jaggery (like piconcillo) there’s a distinct difference that I don’t enjoy in that context.

1 Like

Uh oh…

Assume you already used it? It’s not a bad flavor, just a different flavor. Molasses.

1 Like

Try it. I’m sure it’ll be good. Just different.

1 Like

@Saregama and @JoeBabbitt ; thanks!

I did use it, and grated,so it may be more by volume than the turbinado in the recipe I’m using. But that recipe says it’s using less sugar than some. This was about 2 pounds tomatoes to 1 cup grated piconcillo.

Tommorow I add I cup celery leaves steeped in one cup cider vinegar.

Any new tomato shrub combinations this year? I’m adding a bit of aji amarillo.

Shrubs go way back to colonial times. Given the variations in everyone’s recipes & the lack of precision measuring those days i assume a lot of flexibility in the recipes.

2 Likes

Additionally, I’m sure the sugar being used in those times more closely resembled the larger crystals of today’s organic cane sugars, with residual molasses.

1 Like

Early August 2021 day 2 tomato shrub.

1 Like

Tomato shrub, Day 3 in a fancy bottle!

1 Like

Can I turn a shrub into a gastrique? - #10 by shrinkrap

On a related note - we have a new item: Tomato Smoothies

3 Likes