Shrubs and fruit vinegars!

I’m planning on making it too after you mentioned this to me in a different post. I don’t have white balsamic, so I’ll probably mix champagne vinegar with apple cider vinegar.

I macerated the peaches and ginger in sugar overnight, and added 1 cup white balsamic, and 1/2 cup ACV today.

The recipe I’m using says I should be adding more white balsamic, but the ratios of sugar to fruit, and fruit to vinegar, seems to vary quite a bit.

Here’s my peach and ginger shrub starter. The recipe is from Shrubs: An Old-Fashioned Drink for Modern Times by Michael Dietsch. It calls for the usual peach, ginger and sugar. A stick of cinnamon is soaked in the white wine vinegar while the fruit macerates. We made several shrubs last year - this was our favorite.

4 Likes

Looks good!

I have that on Kindle. The ratio of sugar to peach in that one is 1 cup sugar to 1.5 pounds (about 6 peaches), and 1 cup vinegar. I’d love to hear what you think.

I’ve made this one before. I thought it was pretty much perfect as written, and made a double batch today.

Great! I won’t add any more vinegar to mine. Maybe it’s time for a taste!

Do taste.

Just FYI: I made apple shrub last year (it was good), and processed some of it in a waterbath canner. The acidity was notably dulled in the canned version, compared to the unprocessed version. It was shelf-stable, however, which was a plus.

1 Like

Not shrub, but in that vein, andIneed to use some cucumbers.

Making fig and cinnamon shrub from the Michael Dietsch Book. I chopped the figs (with my newly restored chef’s knife; thank you @Eiron ) rather than pureed them, and accidentally added sugar to macerated then had to remove it, and add the vinegar instead, but looking forward to it! I think it’s my favorite.

6 Likes

Blackberry vinegar, mandarin orange vinegar and a blackberry, raspberry, lemon, mint shrub.
With the encouragement of saragama and MunchkinRedux , i am giving shrub a shot. This is a very small quantity with the least amount of sugar I could find, I don’t expect to use this for cocktails but as a sparkling water additive. I’ll be waiting for a week or so before trying. The mandarin orange vinegar will take a month to develop.

4 Likes

Beautiful first shot. I think you’ll love it!

Thank you, hope so!

I’ve been looking through this thread and didn’t see citrus vinegars. Can you share what you did? Husband just brought these beauties from one of his patients. We enjoyed eating both oranges, but the blood orange would make a pretty vinegar! I’d love to have a fast way to use it in a salad dressing.

ETA one of my favorite sources

1 Like

Wow…those are spectacular.a
My usual method is just to take a lot of peel, usually in long strips rather than in small pieces as in the mandarin. I probably use a two cup measure, add a pile of orange strips, cover with vinegar and bring just to the boil in the microwave .Let cool a bit, add strips to vinegar container and pour the hot vinegar back over the strips. I previously used TJ’s white wine Modena vinegar, but they have discontinued it, unfortunately. I’ve only used white wine vinegar for the citrus . It generally takes a month for the flavor to develop. I frequently make Cara Cara or an early orange in December for Xmas gifts for the family.

1 Like

Thank you! At what point, if ever, do you remove the strips from the vinegar?

I leave them in indefinitely. There is no need to refrigerate this vinegar, I would be reluctant to use the pulp. Same process for lemon peel but my family loves the orange!
In the spring, I make chive blossom, chervil , Chinese chives, etc.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

You know, you can lop off the top of a living pinapple fruit, core it on the stalk, and fill with a fermentable mix. Come back later. Enjoy. I think the local term is ‘skipe’ or ‘swipe’.

No reason it wouldn’t also work off the stalk…

Good to know!

From @Saregama about citrus shrubs and “oleo” sugar infusion.