Shrubs and fruit vinegars!

@Saregama and @JoeBabbitt ; thanks!

I did use it, and grated,so it may be more by volume than the turbinado in the recipe I’m using. But that recipe says it’s using less sugar than some. This was about 2 pounds tomatoes to 1 cup grated piconcillo.

Tommorow I add I cup celery leaves steeped in one cup cider vinegar.

Any new tomato shrub combinations this year? I’m adding a bit of aji amarillo.

Shrubs go way back to colonial times. Given the variations in everyone’s recipes & the lack of precision measuring those days i assume a lot of flexibility in the recipes.

2 Likes

Additionally, I’m sure the sugar being used in those times more closely resembled the larger crystals of today’s organic cane sugars, with residual molasses.

1 Like

Early August 2021 day 2 tomato shrub.

1 Like

Tomato shrub, Day 3 in a fancy bottle!

1 Like

Can I turn a shrub into a gastrique? - #10 by shrinkrap

On a related note - we have a new item: Tomato Smoothies

3 Likes

Where is it avail?

Right now our only active location is Booth 49 in the Red Buildimg at the Englishtown Auction. Where you can also get breakfast, excellent fried chicken & remarkable hamburgers. Sorry for the shameless commerce…

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

I am still enjoying this '21 tomato shrub, and this ''22 fig shrub; should I be worried about this going “bad” with regard to quality or safety? I keep it refrigerated.

1 Like

FWIW we’re still drinking '22 shrubs with no consequences.

Thus far for '23 I’ve made strawberry and red currant.

2 Likes

They were meant to preserve by definition, so whiile you may eventually get some degradation of flavor, but especially in the fridge, I don’t think you risk them having gone bad.

1 Like

Tomato -celery (and cilantro and coriander) shrub '23.

I’m wanting to try a peach shrub, adjusting the sugar for the amount of chopped peaches I have.

This one has equal amounts of sugar and chopped peaches by volume.

This one has one cup sugar to one pound peaches.

This one has one cup sugar to four/one pound peaches. 4 peaches was 2.5 cups for me. Forgot to weigh!.

This one is 6 cups pitted and chopped peaches 3 cups granulated sugar; 1/2 as much sugar as chopped peaches by volume! :smiley:

I’m pretty sure I made that peach-ginger one - but I can’t find evidence!

1 Like

Trying it! Do you rember how you felt about how sweet it was?

I don’t! Now I want to make it again!

1 Like

I’m planning on making it too after you mentioned this to me in a different post. I don’t have white balsamic, so I’ll probably mix champagne vinegar with apple cider vinegar.

I macerated the peaches and ginger in sugar overnight, and added 1 cup white balsamic, and 1/2 cup ACV today.

The recipe I’m using says I should be adding more white balsamic, but the ratios of sugar to fruit, and fruit to vinegar, seems to vary quite a bit.