Shrubs and fruit vinegars!

I also hate waste. Would be interesting to make some pineapple vinegar. I use pineapple juice a lot for marinading pork ( Sate Babe) and Pear juice with crushed pear for marinading beef to make Korean charcoal beef when I used to make them sit tenderizes them. I seldom make them nowadays since I have alpha gal syndrome unless my son request for them for his friends. Cooking 2 different versions of food for him and myself is a lot of work. He propose that I again use kitchen waste for our composting bin but I hate to go to the bin bec every time I open it, there are gnats and other insects that come out from there. So, I have a small green plastic composting pail outside my kitchen, use a cut to clear Ajka crystal with top as I hate to have fruit flies etc and after 3 days, I found flies and even maggots there. I keep on buying kitchen stuff ( was collecting copper pots, the heavy ones 3-4 mm ones but now, am not using them as it is work to make them shine and had to give u a lot of supplies to store all those copper pots from various parts of the world) and keep on giving things away as I run out of space in kitchen so my resolve is no to buy any more gadget ( other than my current collection of Murano, cut crystals and American Brilliant that will ease my tired eyes). That is why when I watch the video on pineapple vinegar, I told myself, another gadget? No way !

1 Like

I just made a cucumber & mint shrub. It’s good but I think next time I’ll use a white balsamic instead of apple cider vinegar.

1 Like

That sounds like a good combination! How long did you keep it before trying it? I have something cherry, and some nectarine doing something since I started this thread. Is it fermenting? It’s in the fridge. I haven’t tasted it yet.

Today I picked a tomato that was so ripe it was essentially a bag of juice. It burst as I was wrestling it loose, but it didn’t taste “spoiled” or fermented. Maybe it could be a shrub.

It was good - not my favorite but tasty. The rhubarb is my favorite. Our shrubs are not fermented. I have blackberries for a blackberry cordial next.

1 Like

I see; I guess the vinegar in the shrub is fermented, and the purpose of the sugar and vinegar was to preserve it.

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

My pinapple vinegar, NectarZee nectarine and Bing cherry shrubs.

2 Likes

I’ve been making tomato shrub. Most recipes call for macerating the tomato, and maybe pepper with sugar, and the celery, or basil with vinegar. Does anyone know why the basil or celery leaves can’t go in with the tomato and sugar?

Tomato with celery. Same recipe as the one in Shrubs: An Old-Fashioned Drink for Modern Times (Second Edition) by Michael Dietsch and Paul Clarke.

1 Like

From Mastering Fermentation by way f Sunset; DIY shrubs.

http://www.masteringfermentation.com/press/SunsetMagFeb2014_Shrubs.pdf

When I make a pineapple shrub I use 3 or 6 pineapples. After I strain it, the cooked pineapple is delicious. So… Pickled Pineapple Jam. It’s quite popular with our customers.

2 Likes

I also made my first blueberry shrub last year. Bottled it, stuck it in the fridge, and apparently promptly forgot about it until a month or so ago. I was re-using a kombucha bottle, and mistook this for another bottle of kombucha I had opened and left in the fridg. Ended up taking a big swig out of it. LOL, that was quite a surprise! I would just dilute a small amount into a glass of cold water to get cool, refreshing fruity drink and the shrub was still good. :slight_smile: Making another batch of this right now.

2 Likes

Sounds good! I’ve been drinking some from last year as well, although no big swigs!

Do you know about how much sugar and vinegar for three pinapples?

Also, if I may ask; what kind of customers?

Oh! I think I figured it out. :open_mouth: Nice!

My basic recipe is 8 cups fruit & juice, 4 cups sugar & 5 cups apple cider vinegar. You can cook it or macerate it. Then strain through a fine colander or strainer, then strain through a double layer of cheesecloth.

1 Like

This years tomato shrub, made with Sweet Sue (yellow) tomatoes, lemon basil, and apple cider vinegar. Macerated tomatoes and basil in vinegar 2 days apart then together for a week , then strained. It already tastes pretty good!

I threw together cherry, pluot and maybe Blenheim apricot shrubs about a month ago, but didn’t take notes or pictures.

2 Likes

I seem to recognize some of this from other sources.

Hi @shrinkrap, I’ve seen you mention tomato shrubs a few times and was wondering if you could share a successful recipe you’ve used? I have plenty of cherry tomatoes and basil, I’ve seen a few recipes that marinade the basil in the vinegar but then they seem to diverge in the amounts of sugar they use or whether water is added. Any tips?

Edited to add, I missed your tomato and celery link above. Maybe I’ll just follow that but with basil.

Hi!

I might have to get back to you with details, but off the top of my head, I’ve been using a book called something like “Shrubs: An old fashioned drink for modern times” by Michael Dietrich, using his “cold shrub” method, that allows for me to procrastinate, and take small steps, with ratio of about one pound of tomatoes for 1/2 cup of sugar.

I think it adds the additional flavors ( for example celery or basil) by steeping them separately in the vinegar.

This is my most recent rendition; a yellow tomato version. The one from the August 24 th picture, but strained about a week ago.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ve kicked off by combining the basil and cider vinegar overnight until tomorrow. I’m going to macerate a pound (edit: I meant two pounds) of cherry tomatoes in a cup of sugar and leave that out overnight as well. Just got to decide how to crush them.

Looking forward to tasting the final result in a week or so. I’ve only made a shrub once before, out of a pitiful amount of plums our tree produced.

Surprisingly for round these parts the local shop had quite the range of cider vinegars. I could have made it with pasteurised or raw vinegar, I guess the difference might be that the remaining vinegar mother would continue to convert the added/tomato sugars into more vinegar.

1 Like