Shop Rite Supermarkets (Shrewsbury NJ)

Perhaps it would be more accurate to say: “Each week I’m finding a Lidl more in my cart…”

5 Likes

I too am struggling to love my new Shop Rite. They often mis-mark their meat prices and it’s a known issue amongst the staff yet no one has taken measures to fix it. On my first visit, I was double-charged for prime Angus strip steaks and the clerk remarked that a customer noted the same thing that morning. A data-entry error that’s simple to fix and yet no one thought to do it.

I shop from home often and the first time, I was mis-charged for several items and several items were either wrong or not included in the order. This issue has cleaned itself up for the most part, and I think the staff in the home-shopping department is great.

On a recent visit, I went to customer service to return a couple of things. The clerk rung up the refund, said she’d put it on a gift card, and had me sign the refund issue slip. When I got home, I realized that she never gave me the gift card. I have yet to go back to fight that battle.

On the same visit, I picked up a fair amount of groceries. As I was putting my items on the belt, I realized that nothing was happening with the customer ahead of me. The customer questioned the price of her meat and they were waiting for a price check. I asked the clerk, “Should I abort and go to another register?” She said no and I put the remaining items up. We wait. We wait some more. I suggest that something needs to happen. Can you call again? Get a manager? She stands there frozen and silent as if she’s afraid to follow up. While we wait, the customer ahead of me and I discuss how the meat prices are always wrong and it’s a known issue. Finally, I wave down a manager. The meat price was wrong. No apology offered. The clerk starts checking me out and I’m bagging. Suddenly, I realize that she’s stopped and is just standing there in a trance. I ask if anything is wrong and she shakes her head and after a long pause rings my final two items. Bizarro. First job? First day? I think I ruined it by suggesting that it’s okay to be proactive. Mind you I was very nice, almost mother-y.

I find the store to be confusing, but I’m getting better at it. Have yet to hit Lidl. All the talk on this board about the wonderful bakery items has me scared as I’m trying to limit carbs.

4 Likes

Very “Phunny”

1 Like

You need to TM that before they swipe it!

2 Likes

I’m up that way a couple of times a month for TEDxAsburyPark team meetings, so I’ve swung through ~9pm both times–nice and quiet, and my only issue is not knowing the lay of the land just yet. Fwiw, my go-to is the Neptune SR; I love how big it is because I can always get everything I need (not the case at Wegman’s, which is even closer to me), so I’m not intimidated by the size of the Shrewsbury store, and I have such envy because it’s so CLEAN and NEW compared to Neptune (I think the high ceilings help a LOT). That said, when Neptune expanded/moved aisles a year or so (?) ago, it took more than a few trips to learn where everything lived. Since I tend to buy mostly the same products week after week, it’s no biggie for me.
Sounds like Shrewsbury just needs some training of their staff!

Absolutely dreadful and INSULTING to customers.

4 Likes

Laughing cow spreadable cheese.

Agree -other than meat and cold cuts I’m pretty much 100% Lidl these days- value and quality ratio are unmatched- I find produce better than SR and I actually dig smaller store- can get in and out quick.
There’s still a few brand name items I can’t get at Lidl and didn’t like the cream cheese or Doritos knockoff but it’s a small list these days (might like their Oreo knockoffs better tbh). Find myself buying more produce, esp organic, as it’s much lower price point.

2 Likes

I totally agree about the smaller store. I really don’t need 15 kinds of yogurt to ponder. My goal is speed. The baby and I can drive there and back (10 min-ish each way) and do a full shopping trip on a weekend in less than an hour easy. The only main problem is the cereal we like isn’t there!

1 Like

agree- cereal selection isn’t the greatest. I’ve been settling for trader joes shredded wheat for cereal.

Bugs are back @ $6.99lbs!!!

1 Like

Picked some up. I’m going to get more today. See lobster thread

2 Likes

ShopRite now carries cooked frozen crawfish from LA $25 for 5 lbs. Not bad. I’ve never been to Louisiana but always wanted to try this. I was worried that they were going to be overcooked and dried out. Not the case at all. Not a lot to eat but they were slightly spicy and moist. I tried both microwaving and steaming. Simple finger food for these miniature crustaceans. And yes, I enjoyed sucking out the head juices as I watched many times of Cajuns at a crawfish boil. I will buy again when lobster prices go back up.

5 Likes

Shop Rite (at least the Middletown location) has recently upped their bakery game. They are now carrying several selections from a brand called Hudson, which I never heard of before. These olive pockets were delicious when warmed and buttered. I also bought an Everything Ficelle which was about as long as a baseball bat and thin as a breadstick. Had a nice sourdough bite and good consistency. Probably the equivalent of two bagels. Cost $2.29. Not quite as good a deal as Lidl’s bakery (which I love), but I wonder if they are feeling the competition?

6 Likes

Shop Rite has the small lobsters on sale this week for 6.99 a pound.

3 Likes

I saw some Berkshire pork chops that looked nice at the west long branch location. I don’t see these that often in my travels. Has anyone tried them? Pork shoulder was on sale for 79 cents a pound so I smoked that last week and passed on the Berkshire. I couldnt pass up the sale price, 11 pounder.

1 Like

Run do not walk to Shop Right in Shrewsbury, $9.99lbs PRIME tbone/porterhouse!!!

6 Likes

I was passing the hazlet shop rite and decided to stop in…not a prime steak in sight. How many did you get?

Went there this A.M. Was told the sale was over. It was one of 15 things on a list I was given. I came home empty handed. Someone was not amused.

Their sales typically run Sunday to Saturday, although sometimes they have some stuff Wednesday to Saturday.

Dam I’m sorry