Shop Rite Supermarkets (Shrewsbury NJ)

Not your fault mon freres! Personally, I don’t like a porterhouse for home use…I leave those to the professionals. Ribeye or strip on the grill for me.

1 Like

We bought the Berkshire chops a few weeks ago based on their marbling. Grilled them. They were delicious.

1 Like

I have been so tempted to get them, the ones in the deli case correct? I’ve wanted to pick them up, brine them for a day or two then grill them ala’ Semolina! (well in my mind that’s how it’s going to go!! lol)

2 Likes

Just returned from a trip to Shop Rite, quite the interesting experience. First it was busy but not insanely so, they had plenty of fresh produce and breads etc. I would love to do a psychology research paper on what people hoard in these situations.

Completely out of any chicken, turkey or sausage products, but plenty of pork and red meat, including the butchers counter.

Plenty of seafood didn’t seem like they were out of anything. No toilet paper or Lysol products, limited the pasta but still some to choose from. Plenty of eggs and milk etc as well as frozen items. I was surprised I thought the frozen section would be decimated.

On a side note I decided to take a trip to Restaurant Depot and try my luck there. I was happily surprised by a couple things:

1.) they were pretty busy so hopefully mom and pops restaurants are holding their own

2.) they had plenty of chicken (10lbs minimum bag) and red meat

3.) no toilet paper or water bottles!

6 Likes

Good to know milk is back. Need to grab some soon.
I stocked up on pork tenderloin, ground beef for tacos, small sirloin steak for beef barley soup at Wegmans on Thur along with plenty of eggs and tuna. Grabbed an eye round roast and bacon yesterday. So pretty much same deal no chicken but plenty of beef and pork in store.

2 Likes

I went to my local Shoprite (Rte 34 in Wall) after the gym, iIguess it was about 10:15. The parking lot had a decent number of open parking spaces. They did have wipes at both entrances to sanitize your cart.

As mentioned already some sections in some departments were wiped clean but there was plenty within the general category. If you aren’t picky about brand everything was represented. There were some exceptions. This store had no chicken either but also very little beef or pork. There were maybe 10 corned beefs left, the lamb and veal section was full. The produce section was full and in fact I thought some things seemed to be on sale (asparagus and brussels sprouts were $0.99/lb)

There was some very limited paper towels left, I didn’t see any toilet paper but I only looked down but didn’t go down that aisle. Almost no cleaning products that had potential anti-vial effects. I have’t seen hand sanitizer there in a couple of weeks. They are limiting how many of certain items you can purchase.

I left at about 11:30 - not because of the crowds but because my sister called while I was there and I sat in the cafe area to talk to her. As I was leaving I noticed the store was almost empty of customers. It was the perfect time to shop.

1 Like

We buy regular, supermarket whole milk because it tastes better to me and I prefer it in baking and cooking. Organic milk has a ‘use by’ date weeks in the future- but it tastes funny to me. Anyhow, I have a couple of half gallons of it in the fridge now.

Having heard too many Middletown Shop Rite horror stories, I’ve been avoiding it. As I said in another thread, the Port Monmouth Foodtown was fine on Thursday.

Today, out of curiosity, stopped in to Livoti’s in Middletown. Also full stocked including a plethora of chicken. Grabbed another family pack of cutlets and more ground beef (hey, gotta make Shepherd’s Pie on Tuesday!)

2 Likes

so Shoprite Shrewsbury was not a pleasant experience today, WAY too many people wearing masks off their noses, both employees and shoppers… Foodtown has been such a more relaxing experience these days.

That being said I’ll be headed there this weekend prob as bugs are 6.99 a lb @gcaggiano @corvette_johnny @NotJrvedivici.
Looks like its lobster roll time, only question- vine verde or nice Modello Especial…?

4 Likes

Forget the lobsters unless you like soft shells. I’d have a hard time supporting a supermarket where staff and customers are so casual about wearing masks, though.

1 Like

went back for the bugs (total bust- 45 min wait instore). Once again, multiple employees not wearings masks correctly and same for customers. I will not be returning there in person any longer. This is only store I’ve been to where this happens. Foodtown in Red Bank and Trader Joe’s especially have had 0 issues. TJ’s is going above and beyond and Foodtown is much less crowded than SR and seems to at least be trying to enforce rules. Both places also clean carts between use to some extent (TJ especially) something ShopeRite is not (they do offer wipes when you walk in but by then its past the point)

2 Likes

Interesting; the Neptune SR has actually been doing a good job - wipes at the door (I’m ok with that), staff all wearing masks, and in general, customers are as well. That said, they stopped using alternating registers and THAT makes me nuts, because then you’re closer to other shoppers as you wait–and as we know, many people don’t understand what 6’ is/looks like–even with the tape on the floor.
I assume that all of the ShopRites are doing this; there’s a survey at the bottom of your receipt. I’ve used that as a way of telling them what I think (good and bad) each time I shop, and suggested this to a friend, who actually got a call from the store manager after doing so.

1 Like

Seen here today, not bad price either!

5 Likes

FWIW *** Hazlet Location ****

This is exactly what we need! More locations giving the vaccine, and options for people to get it. I don’t know that adding pharmacies is going to help this to move at warp speed, but anything is better than nothing.

Now, where else can we innovate to get the vaccine to more people quickly?

1 Like

I see my ShopRite in Little Falls also has the vaccine but I won’t be eligible to receive it until at least May :worried:

New Jersey’s 2021 vaccine time frame:
Phase 1A (January)

• Healthcare workers, who are paid and unpaid persons serving in healthcare settings who have the potential for direct or indirect exposure to patients or infectious materials
  • Long-term care residents and staff.
  • Non-hospital-based healthcare personnel and residents of other long-term care settings

Phase 1B (January - February)

• Frontline essential workers and individuals over 75

Phase 1C (March - April)

• Essential workers, adults 65-74, and persons aged 16-64 with medical conditions that increase the risk for severe COVID-19.

Phase 2 (May – June)

• General population
1 Like

Yeah this bummed me out. I also want a lot more information because a) ShopRite grocery stores are already busy hubs, b) they are dirty stores, c) don’t have the manpower usually in the Pharma dept., d) I see how easy it will be for people lower on the list to get a Drs. Note to move up.

Unless I was already buying my RX from the and felt comfortable having a covid certified trainee there, no way would I be standing on line at a grocery store. I know the megas like CVS and Walgreens are also starting to advertise shots and certify/train pharmacy tech staff.

I have every intention of getting the shot but the way it’s administered is important if you have a reaction or issue afterward…where is the accountability later? Is ShopRite going to be keeping records?
Details, please.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure they will add more locations as the number of eligible people increases. And there are a half dozen locations in Monmouth County other than ShopRites. I think they’re trying to make sure everyone can get to a location, especially if transportation is an issue. See https://patch.com/new-jersey/howell/first-200-individuals-monmouth-county-receive-covid-vaccine for locations.

2 Likes

@eleeper, I have no doubt about that. I know that’s already true for retail pharmacies. I agree it’s a monumental task and wide open spaces, by appt only, proof of eligibility and wearing a mask is all going to be state mandated twice per person to receive both doses…and public cooperation is the only acceptable response.

I just hope there is no rush to certify pharmacy techs because more qualified manpower will be critical.
I hope cleanliness is a critical component in this grocery stores and anywhere else shots are given.
Proper vaccine storage. Already a nightmare for large pharmacies.
I hope the public cooperates. Underline!
I hope enough doses are avail when our turns come because every med pro I know is saying NO.

…and to keep this rant food centric…I hope SR is held responsible to perform this mandate properly. New territory for a food supply chain that contracts RX.

1 Like