Shop Rite Supermarkets (Shrewsbury NJ)

Hmmmmm I’ve never noticed this at West Long Branch or Neptune, but I’ve also never knew to look for it either. Now it looks like I"m going to be doing a Blues Clues adventure in Shrewsbury to see if I can find this!! (is that still a show? lol)

Neptune has it…it’s at the very end of the first produce aisle (the one that ends at the cheese). I occasionally grab a package of cubed butternut squash that’s on its final day of sale–for $1-2 less than they normally charge. I generally don’t buy it there because Costco sells it, but if I’m there and ready to use it, it’s a bargain.

The manager’s specials are also now right at the front of the store in a huge case on the right across from the floral department. I haven’t browsed it but did notice bottles of bone broth (something I’ve never purchased) for 3.99 ea yesterday.

Interesting, I’ve seen the base in / near the floral department and just assumed it was for “quick grab” items, I didn’t know they were discounted managers specials!! Thanks!

1 Like

Shoprite in Aberdeen has general groceries discounted in the back, between the dairy and the hot dogs. They have discounted produce both where Gracie says, and (sometimes) up in front, near the discounted bakery and discounted deli case (at the Express lanes). I can’t say anything about the regular meat, but they do (or did) discount kosher meat near its “use or freeze by” date; these packages are still in the kosher meat case with red stickers.

@JoeBabbitt Love the butts and cuts moniker. We call it dollar meat. It is one of my favorite sections. I always get the mixed cheese packages when making mac and cheese. I often will pick up butts if I’m making a chopped salad and you can’t beat the prosciutto and pancetta ends. W

I also frequent the day old bread section when I need bread crumbs. If you ask at the right time, you can get parmesean ends for something like $3/lb at the Wall Shoprite. Great for making soups or escarole and beans.

@eleeper The regular meat department has a similar section.

3 Likes

Why pay for Parmesan ends? The only Parmesan I use is Reggiano. I save and freeze the ends.

Price Roz. Cheese in the butt’s & cuts is cheap.

1 Like

What @JoeBabbitt said. I don’t use much Parmesan Reggiano except for the rinds and can get enough to last a while for a couple of bucks.

1 Like

Here’s a Shop Rite horror story from Middletown yesterday.

My mom walks in with a bag of groceries and this odor emanated across the room. I said, “What the hell is that smell?” She says, “I have a story to tell you.”

So, she picked up a pack of chicken cutlets in the store and put it in her cart. As she walks away she too smells this horrific odor. There happened to be a garbage can right by where she was, so she assumed it was that. She continued walking and actually stopped a worker to tell them that someone should remove the garbage can because of how disgusting it was. As she continued doing her shopping, she noticed the smell was still with her. She picked up a few items and finally the chicken, which is where the smell was coming from. It was rotten and putrid. She walked right over to the meat section and told the butcher. His response, even after smelling it was, “Oh, that’s coming from the packaging. The meat is fine.” She put it down and walked away. The smell was still on her hands when she arrived home and could still be smelled in her car later that night.

I was more enraged than her. I’d love to report them. If I was there I would have asked for a manager and inquired if Shop Rite’s policy is to pass off rotten meat that could actually kill someone. How wonderful, meat or packaging or whatever it was, to have a product that smells like a rotting carcass and flippantly respond that it was perfectly fine with no offer to examine or at least say, “Here, let me take that”.

2 Likes

WOW. Disgusting. And WOW. While I don’t doubt that the guys working in the meat department don’t think things smell as bad as we might, that was the WRONG. ANSWER.

I don’t have the issues with Shop Rite that you do, but I go to the one in Neptune, and I still think their prices are good, esp on household goods, and all the more so with the sales (just one example–Melitta coffee is often $2.99 on sale, regularly $4.99). That said, I don’t buy a lot in any grocery store that isn’t produce/meat, and I’ve never been able to do my regular shopping in Whole Foods; I don’t care what the quality is–those are insane prices, imo. I do run to Wegmans specifically for a couple of items that SR doesn’t carry (like bagged Tuscan kale and cauliflower, which is currently HALF the price of SR, which stunned me).

2 Likes

I don’t hate Shop Rite, but I definitely feel disgruntled when I leave there. Just read my Lidl post and you will see why when it comes to price comparisons.

1 Like

I am always in awe of the people who have their entire carts filled at Whole Foods. I want to stalk them and find out what they do for work.

4 Likes

Easy, they must work to keep the WF/Prime fee in check😊

2 Likes

Nice steak selection:

3 Likes

Come and get it…

3 Likes

how the hell did I miss that- was just there twenty min ago- with prob half of the Peninsula…just missed a mini Ho-Down I guess…got sidetracked by the rotisserie chicken and the Bottom round roast on sale instead…

2 Likes

A friend in NJ just got a subscription, on her daughters recommendation. Her daughter receives the box for 4, my friend is ordering for 2, so half the amount that is shown in the photo below which is her daughters order. Box for 2 is $19.99 plus $4.50 flat shipping

6 Likes

My wife signed up and has been very happy with the deliveries and produce.

2 Likes

Thx, I’m thinking about it. There is no shortage of nearby farms but last years growing season was disastrous … we really took a beating with our CSA share.

I was concerned about the ripeness factor. Mishapen, “ugly” not always critical but if the avocados arrive too ripe, what good is it? So, I was happy that my wife hasn’t complained about that.

No shortage of produce options in our area. My wife was interested because while I’m on the road and she’s working, the produce shopping suffers. This pkg. for two covers plenty each week.

Plus it’s good to find a use for produce rejected in other shopping pipelines.

1 Like