Shop Rite Supermarkets (Shrewsbury NJ)

This didn’t happen at the Shrewsbury SR (it was Middletown, but similar experiences at Hazlet) but since this thread turned into general discussion about the store, I’ll post it here.

Does anyone else experience over-cutting from the cold cut department? If you ask for a 1/2 pound, they give you close to 3/4. If you ask for 1/4, you get 1/3. I then started to ask for specific amounts since it is only two or three of us eating and we do not eat many cold cuts. I’d ask for “$2.00 worth of x”, and they would cut $2.50. The 50 cents isn’t killing anyone but it cannot be an accident that this keeps happening. Do they hire the dumbest people or are the workers told to over-cut? Most customers will not complain, and if they do, then SR can just sell the pack in the pre-sliced area.

Even tonight, I am making pizza with some ham on it. I need a tiny amount. I asked for 5 slices thinking that was a good place to start. Well, he must have used the thickest setting on the freakin’ thing because those 5 slices were over 1/3 of a pound! I am actually quite pissed at the madness of this whole thing!

4 Likes

At the Aberdeen Shoprite, they usually do the first weight check when it’s a bit low, rather than high. In the fish department sometimes the first piece is a little over, but they are willing to cut it or swap it.

1 Like

I’ve experienced this as well. I am torn if it’s store policy or just th fact that the employees don’t care. The deli counter is prob least fav part of shop rite. Have come around to the black bear brand compared to boars Head or Thurman’s or d and w but it’s never a great experience. Cleanliness and length of time are a concern usually. Prices are much better than others though like foodtown. At least at SR I never had someone eat slices as they were cutting them for customers.

When I worked in NNJ, we’d go to Whole Foods in Madison at least once a week to get lunch. If I asked for a quarter of a pound of something I would get a third. If I asked for third, I’d get half. I finally realized they were either not understanding me or that they’ve been told to up the amount and I stopped accepting it and would tell them I wanted less. As Greg said, It’s not about the money-it’s the principle of it all!

3 Likes

Anyone making minimum wage doesn’t care. That is the problem imo

1 Like

I almost always order deli by the number of slices, and I usually also specify the thickness I want. It’s easier for me to visualize portions that way.

Back in my days on the slicer you got paid a bit more than other worriers. Hazard pay.
Trust me as someone who did this work back in day o agree that people should treat any job as if it “matters”. When I did this job In high school and college I busted my but at a much less forgiving store. Have had some good people in past but most don’t give a damn. Honestly usually find younger workers to be better. Used to be what i assume was a college kid at foodtown who was awesome at deli counter but haven’t seen him there in over a year. I took it so seriously when I worked at a deli that I can’t go to many spots anymore as I get too mad. I could write another 500 words on what we used to do compared to what I never see anymore at deli or deli counter.

2 Likes

I find Whole Foods to be among biggest offenders here. I remember one time I walked away from deli mid slicing I was getting such crappy service in the milburn location on 30 buck a pound Serrano ham order.

2 Likes

Absolutely one of the problems. Low pay and garbage hours. I guess it isn’t like the old days where people felt compelled to provide good service and have integrity regardless.

1 Like

Oh my God. You must be joking???

1 Like

Sadly I wish I was

1 Like

FYI for anyone in the area reading this, one of the primary reasons I maintain a BJ’s membership is for the cold cuts/deli selection. My personal favorite deli meats are Dietz and Watson and BJ’s carries them and their prices can’t be beat. (figure $6-$7 per lbs range when at Acme, whom I despise, Dietz is generally $9. + per lbs) Also their private brand Wesley Farms isn’t bad either and they are in the $5-$6. range for most meats. They even have prosciutto for either $ 8.99 lbs ot $ 9.99lbs, try and beat that price anywhere else.

Similarly I maintain a Costco membership primarily for their meats and seafood, although I was rather pissed they didn’t have whole tenderloins during the holidays.

1 Like

So… I was in the Marlboro ShopRite the other day and they have a leftover produce rack. HUGE containers of mushrooms were $1.25 & up to $1.37. These were bigger than quarts. half gallons maybe? & decent looking mushrooms. Sometimes they are pretty nasty looking. There were three containers (two of white mushrooms & one of baby bellas) & I bought them all. Which lead to a very large pot of some delicious Cream Of Mushroom soup. I love winter food.

6 Likes

You can sometimes get good deals in that section. I always peak especially if I am planning to use it that day.

Sidebar: has anyone used this subscription service called misfit markets? I keep seeing it on FB. Basically, sends you a box of ugly or damaged organic fruits/veggies. https://www.misfitsmarket.com/

1 Like

I haven’t used it but it’s awesome. I had seen a segment somewhere about “ugly produce” markets popping up different places which I think is awesome. Our food waste in this country is really a shame.

2 Likes

Completely agree. I am quite tempted to try it. I spend a ton on fruits and veggies especially in the off season. A little bruise here and there never hurt anybody.

2 Likes

Does shoprite have any specials on expiring produce?

The AP near me used to have crazy deals before they closed. They would have a mobile cart/rack filled with random stuff for under a dollar or so. You could go in and clean house if you wanted to make a nice pot of chili or kebabs that night or the next day. They even would put pistachio nuts out! Those went fast so the timing had to be right to find those.

I’ve seen a managers special case but it’s mostly bakery and meat. For cheapo produce around here I think it’s aldi and Lidl

I really shouldn’t say this cuz I’m cutting my own throat. ShopRite of Marlboro has a clearance for produce - see my comment about the mushrooms above. They also have a general grocery clearance rack and a ‘Manager’s Special’ section in the meat department and a ‘butts & cuts’ bin in the deli dept. All of these yield exceptional value from time to time.

2 Likes

ShopRite in Aberdeen does. Back corner of produce. Near the onions/potatoes.