Share Tasty Healthy Food

We often hear that “This food is so tasty, but so unhealthy” or “All tasty foods are unhealthy”…etc.

While this is often true, it is not far from always true. Why don’t we share and discuss some of the tasty dishes which are also considered healthy (keep in mind that everyone has different definition of what makes food healthy).

I will start first:

Pan fried green bean (many variations)

Blanch Gai Lan (Chinese broccoli)

Many thanks.

P.S.: Should this be in Home Cooking or General Topics?

I guess there are not many healthy and tasty food.

Ah, Gai Lan…my local place calls it, “Chinese vegetable” - Love it tho

1 Like
 I get free fish fillets weekly, in exchange for distributing the shares for a community-supported fishery.  Species varies, but it's always super-fresh.  Both for health considerations and to avoid the lingering odors of frying (or even sauteeing), I generally bake it.  A pound gives me three portions.  Usually, I bake it on a bed of brown rice cooked in vegetable or mushroom broth. Sometimes (less healthy), I mix storebought seafood stuffing or seafood salad into the cooked rice.  I lay the fillets atop the rice.  Then I cover the fish with either a drizzle of a creamy salad dressing, e.g. creamy dill, or ranch, or with raw shredded vegetables that have been tossed in soy or teriyaki sauce.  One time I just used coleslaw.  Bake at 350/375F for 20-30 minutes depending on thickness.  
 I am partial to marinating cucumber slices in white or rice vinegar, along with onion, garlic powder, herbed pepper, bell pepper, and sometimes melon chunks.  I use Splenda to sweeten.  Even without salt, enough water is exuded by the vegetables to adequately dilute the vinegar, once the salad has chilled for at least half a day. It keeps for weeks in the fridge.

ETA: I don’t know why the initial post did not appear in the usual format so am repeating it:

I get free fish fillets weekly, in exchange for distributing the shares for a community-supported fishery. Species varies, but it’s always super-fresh. Both for health considerations and to avoid the lingering odors of frying (or even sauteeing), I generally bake it. A pound gives me three portions. Usually, I bake it on a bed of brown rice cooked in vegetable or mushroom broth. Sometimes (less healthy), I mix storebought seafood stuffing or seafood salad into the cooked rice. I lay the fillets atop the rice. Then I cover the fish with either a drizzle of a creamy salad dressing, e.g. creamy dill, or ranch, or with raw shredded vegetables that have been tossed in soy or teriyaki sauce. One time I just used coleslaw. Bake at 350/375F for 20-30 minutes depending on thickness.

I am partial to marinating cucumber slices in white or rice vinegar, along with onion, garlic powder, herbed pepper, bell pepper, and sometimes melon chunks. I use Splenda to sweeten. Even without salt, enough water is exuded by the vegetables to adequately dilute the vinegar, once the salad has chilled for at least half a day. It keeps for weeks in the fridge.

:slight_smile: How do you do this?

Not sure what you’re asking, specifically, but I don’t measure anything so I am not sure I can help if you want exact amounts.

I make variations on massaged kale salad that have managed to convert some hard core anti-kale anti- healthy green things people. The two most important steps are cutting the kale into thin ribbons (i also add in shredded raw brussel sprouts often) and then massaging it all really really well with salt/fat/acid then letting it sit several hours, though overnight is better. Usually i do just lemon juice and EVOO. Once it’s done resting i add shredded carrot, halved cherry tomatoes, a sprinkle of salted sunflower seeds, sliced radishes, chopped cucumber, and fennel on the mandolin. I make a little more dressing with black pepper and dijon and toss all together.
If i’m feeling fussy i use a microplane and almonds to create almondy fluff for the top.

I’ve added in edamame and smoked tofu for an entree salad version, made it will just the most basic greens and topped with sliced avocado, and changed up the veggies depending on the season

I recently started making granola after finally getting to the farm the next town over that sells yogurt. I suppose there are healthier things, but it’s a big hit with my family and friends!

Since fresh fruit is still in season, I’ve been adding berries.

2 Likes

Fried Italian long hots!

Of course, actual long hots look like this–you can kick it up a notch further by adding a jalapeno to the mix:

And, if you want comfort on top of tasty/healthy–make a scrambled egg and put it on a grinder roll. One more piece of comfort? BACON!

I actually meant your first post. It is funny how it came out.

I assume this is to allow the favor to infuse into the kale? Or is it to change its texture like soften it? Thanks.

Blue berries. :blush:

1 Like

It does both but mostly it’s to soften the kale so it is less like munching prehistoric branches :wink:
Gah- i ordered a kale salad at this fancy pants restaurant that sounded so good but then it was like naked raw kale with a dribblet of vinegrette here and there- not delicious!

I think the issue that I’m avoiding is the “healthy” label. Too much dispute around it.

I do something almost identical with collard greens, after having it at a Brazilian restaurant.

Yep. I have definitely heard about how rough kale can be.

I make a delicious ABC (almond banana coconut) smoothie with kale. It’s one of those mystery ingredients you never taste, but can just enjoy for the green-ness and health benefits. They charged quite a bit for them at our local farmers’ market (I didn’t buy–a neighbor bought for me), so I just decided to make it on my own. Not difficult, of course. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have tons of Italian (black) kale in my garden that I need to use up. How much kale do you put in the ABC smoothie? I have just started making smoothies and the kale makes for a pretty ugly smoothie but I want to try yours. I think I have been putting too much kale in. Do you use coconut milk or meat. I have coconut milk, water and both sweetened and unsweetened flakes on hand. I also have some coconut oil but I am guessing that you do not use that. I have no idea why I have so much coconut in my pantry.

I am very interested in this thread and am hoping for some inspiration but am hesitant for the same reason you state. Just now I was looking at a slide show from a nutritionist of what she eats. That’s not what I call healthy but different strokes. I find discussions about what is healthy and not healthy get nowhere. I hope people will be free to post without too much judgement.

1 Like