SFBA shelter-at-home delivery/take-out roundup

Let’s use this thread to aggregate other Covid-19-related Hungry Onion threads and outside pages, and provide a one-stop resource for members living throughout the Bay Area.

Lists of open restaurants (take-out and/or delivery)

Pre-prepared meals from commercial kitchens

• NextDish same day orders of Chinese dishes from commercial commissary & partner restaurants

• Thistle one-dish “plant-based” meals, which you can optionally supplement with chicken, turkey, pork, or shrimp

Grocery delivery

Farmer’s Markets

Food donations & fund drives

Restaurant delivery

If you want to help your local restaurants out during the Covid-19 crisis, ask the restaurant which service benefits them most-- some of these have predatory practices and/or take bigger cuts than others.

7 Likes

Doordash and Grubhub also support pick-up. Those seem to be the best sources for the “restricted menus” some places are doing, even if you call in so they don’t have to pay the doordash and grubhub fees.

1 Like

Has Yelp suspended their questionable practice of re-routing restaurant phone numbers directly to Grubhub and charging fees without the user, or in many case’s, restaurant’s knowledge?

Edit: look at the number my phone is calling vs the number listed. Looks like they have the same crappy practice.

1 Like

Mission Local has an article on places open (in the Mission, obviously). The map is not up to date but there’s a number of places listed in the comments that aren’t in the Chronicle list. Quite a few taquerias look like they’re still open.

2 Likes

The Press Democrat has a continuously updated list for restaurants offering take out and/or delivery in Sonoma County.

2 Likes

Oakland restaurants in this list that deliver or have takeout and which delivery operation service the restaurant. The spreadsheet was compiled by the Oakland Chamber of Commerce:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTWZBaGZqpt0odt26RdYGtucAVLkOxQMBm3YntCwAeiJAwT_QibubZvEBqKCw65Nprm4HzZsOQ0Zv1x/pubhtml

2 Likes
1 Like

Wow, check out the Chronicle’s grocery delivery page. Tons on there, and as of today, they’ve noted services that are experiencing issues:

2 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

My CSA, Urban Tilth in Richmond, also delivers to Richmond and nearby cities. I’ve been a member going on 3 years, and it just keeps getting better. We now have the option to buy coffee beans from Catahoula, and soon there will be eggs!

https://www.urbantilth.org/csa/

3 Likes

Two lists of Chinese restaurants open in SF:

https://sites.google.com/view/chinatowneats/home

2 Likes

These lists are completely inaccurate and include places that are not open for delivery. (Actually, there’s no indication the first list is meant to have any connection to the shutdown).

1 Like

What’s inaccurate? The thread is a mix of takeout and/or delivery, not exclusively delivery.

If you click on the peninsula list, you’ll note it has “covid” in its title. Still, I’ve edited the link to make it more obvious.

2 Likes

Without checking further, I can tell you that, for a start, Chonqing Xiao Mian is not open. Nor is Yuanbao Jiaozi.

I was specifically replying to the 2 SF Chinese food lists.

2 Likes

Oh, I see—- thank you!

My apologies for not scrutinizing these sites and confirming that they are maintained regularly.

Funny—- Yelp, which is close to useless right now, reported the two restaurants you mentioned as closed a few weeks ago (see
Regional Chinese roundup 3.0 (SF Bay Area) ) though mysteriously they, and some others I noticed a few days ago, are now listed on yelp as active.

1 Like

As I’ve been saying constantly on twitter, it is nice that people are making these lists–it makes me think of places I might not have, like Top Hatter’s. But it is ridiculous to assume the are completely accurate or inclusive–small restaurants have logistic and financial issues in this difficult time. What might be open one day might not the next. So many places near me on International Blvd. held on without fanfare or lists for the first month, but closed up shop this month.
If you have neighborhood restaurants that you wish to continue call them, or walk on by to figure out if they are still serving and how. And make sure you get their number from a general search, and not Yelp’s, as yelp may have replaced their real number with a number that gets them referral $$, despite them laying off thousands in this time, making clear their business is advertising and not information.

2 Likes

Eater updated a Chinatown list today:

2 Likes

Its impossible to maintain a fully up-to-date list with all the restaurants literally hanging on to their dear lives not knowing whether they have cash to run for the next week, and changing business models/ hours every week adjusting to the situation.

Best to just call them up.

1 Like

Here in Sunnyside, Won Kok on Monterey Blvd. just re-opened for take out and I presume delivery, ducks and chickens hanging in the window again. Shanghai Dumpling King is still closed but they are taking this time to do some renovations, so looks like no more stained carpeting - sign still says to re-open on April 28. Pho Dong Huang has been open for take out and seem to be doing some business. They have a $3 bahn mi special going - they’re just ok, but you can’t beat the price.

2 Likes