SFBA shelter-at-home delivery/take-out roundup

We got amazing dumplings from New Dumpling in El Cerrito. I will post a longer review about it.

2 Likes

Well, you’ll soon find out if they’re not actually open, if you try to order. But yes, don’t depend on the list for your plans.

It’s not even a question of maintaining an ever-changing list. Chongqing Xiao Mien is not open, and never was.

1 Like

They still have Chongqing Xiao Mien on their new list as open. It is not, and never was. It’s not even a question of maintaining a current list. Whoever made that list is just lazy.

Shanghai Dumpling King back open for take out and delivery.

1 Like

Anyone been getting the La Cocina Food boxes?

I’ve been writing short reviews for Mission Local re places that are doing take-out/delivery, trying to keep the word going that there are places out there literally dying for your business, specifically, of course, in the Mission DIstrict. It’s a moving target, but places that weren’t open before are now starting to try their hand at the new model.

5 Likes

Ming Kee on Ocean Ave is open again and tasty as ever

5 Likes

Missed this thread!

We are technically Bay area, but mostly a vicarious thrill.

Us neighbors are doing a Rutherford Grill thing for mother’s day, though.

1 Like

Wow that looks great.

1 Like

This sounds intriguing

4 Likes

We picked up lunch today from Back A Yard on Willow Rd. in Menlo Park. Got plates of half curried goat & half stewed oxtail with rice/beans & caramelized plantains, got 2 orders, including tip was $40. Picture is one order. Both meats so nice & tender with incredible flavor! Its Caribbean food at its best! Website is www.backayard.net. Menlo Park phone is 650-323-4244.

5 Likes

Thumbs up to the La Cocina Food boxes. They offer omnivore and vegetarian versions, sized for 2 or 4 people, and each week’s box contains frozen, refrigerator, and snack items from ten La Cocina businesses. So far we’ve enjoyed a bunch of things we wouldn’t have otherwise bought, and I appreciate that only a minimum of items must be eaten within a few days (this week, a bunch of stuff from El Buen Comer).

2 Likes

Cool thanks for reporting I’ve been thinking about getting that but wasn’t sure. Will have to check it out.

How’s the taste?

Our first week’s order is mostly gone, and we’ve been pleased with everything in terms of taste and reheatability. Favorite items were the Crisps and Crackles super food vegetable chips and momos from Bini’s, which came with a delicious and numbing-spiced roasted tomato cilantro sauce (I steamed these in a bamboo steamer on carrot slices).

Boxes seem well curated—- we used Estrellita’s Snacks’ curtido (intended for pupusas) and the Aedan’s Pickled Vegetable Medley as a side for Bini’s Kitchen Vegetable Momos and (non-La Cocina) frozen dumplings; Taco Thai’s nam Jim jaew condiment on various things. I expect we’ll be getting boxes bi-weekly—- from different vendors, pupusas and/or tamales show up weekly, which we love but our kids bizarrely don’t like (yet).

San Leandro and Hayward take-out:

Paradiso/San Leandro open for limited menu take-out, also 50% off all wines. Paradiso doesn’t mark up their wines as much as many places, so 50% can be a very good deal on some of their stock!

Takeout menu:
Limited take-out menu during lockdown
(Note that I’m not a big fan of their pizzas, but their pastas are decent and entrees/desserts very good. Sadly most of our favs on their regular menu aren’t available during lockdown.)

Wine List:
Paradiso 50% off wines

+++++
(Please note: I have not tried any of the following places, just listing them for folks in the SL/Hayward area)

Farmhouse Thai Express/San Leandro
This looks to be a take-out location of the Farmhouse/Daughter Thai folks. Note reviewers say to watch out for meter maids, LOL. We have gone to both Farmhouse/Oakland and Daughter Thai/Oakland but personally find their food much too sweet nowadays. YMMV.
https://www.farmhousethaisl.com/

Le Paradis/Hayward
This eatery was featured on the 5/14/2020 episode of Check Please! Bay Area and rated pretty well for its pho and meringue pastries, although how well pho travels is moot.
Le Paradis takeout

Kendejah Restaurant (Liberian)/Hayward
http://kendejahrestaurant.com/menu/

TopHatters/Hayward
Top Hatter limited takeout menu

1 Like

Thanks for compiling this! We order takeout a few times a week. Another list we’ve been keeping an eye on is Tock to Go SF.

Also, not sure if this was always the case or if it’s new, but Toast has a Takeout app with a lot of restaurants that we have ordered from in the past.