September–December 2023 Baking Cookbook of the Months Nominations

It’s time to choose a BCOTM for the remainder of the year! This one will take us from the end of the summer season straight through to the winter holiday season, so we might want to keep the potential for holiday baking in mind as we nominate.

You many nominate as many books as you wish. Please nominate with the intention of joining us in baking from the book and reporting on what you make, should your nominee be selected. To nominate, please put the name of the book in ALL CAPS in the comments below. Only titles in all caps will be counted as nominations. (If you’re discussing a book, but not nominating, please use regular capitalization for clarity.)

Nominations will end SUNDAY, AUGUST 20 at 11 PM GMT/7 PM EDT/4 PM PDT, and the books with the most nominations will move on to a vote.

BRAVETART (Parks)
BOUCHON BAKERY (Keller)
MOMOFUKU MILK BAR (Tosi)
HOW TO BAKE EVERYTHING (Bittman)
ALL ABOUT COOKIES (Tosi)

I really like all of Sarah Kieffer recipes.

Her Blog THE VANILLA BLOG

Her Books
100 COOKIES
100 MORNING TREATS
BAKING FOR THE HOLIDAYS

2 Likes

SWEET ENOUGH might be fun.

We could go for Gen-X nostalgia for the holiday cookie platters: MRS. FIELDS COOKIE BOOK (1992).

SWEET ENOUGH, by Alison Roman (gets great reviews)

1 Like

I think I only have THE VANILLA BEAN BAKJNG BOOK. Have we done that one?

THE VANILLA BEAN BLOG has a plethora of recipes.

1 Like

If Vanilla Bean Baking Blog is in the voting process, could her books also be included?

If there are several nominations for her blog and/or books I could see a case for combining, though it’s a lot of sources. For people whose libraries have Hoopla, it seems to have everything but Vanilla Bean Baking Book.

Any of our prolific bakers use Erin McDowell’s recipes? I was intrigued when her Savory Baking book came out, but I don’t bake enough to know how she compares to other sources.

I am becoming a big fan of EJM. Several of the baking recipes I’ve tried have been over-the-top good and gone down as repeats in my rotation:

Baby Baguettes
Flaky Cheese Biscuits
Buttermilk Rolled Biscuits
…I’m pretty sure there are more.

I recently purchased The Book on Pie, and find it extremely useful in my attempts to up my pie game. So much so that I bought a copy for my sister, with whom I’ve co-experienced many of my pie-baking adventures.

That said, I have Savory Baking and am on the fence about the book as a whole. There have been some real winner recipes in the book, but also stuff which seems suitable for Instagram and not necessarily for the home cook. Eg. a Dutch Baby filled (like a bowl) with bacon strips and fried eggs?

1 Like

I’ve elected to combine the various Sara Kieffer nomination so that we have enough to vote on.

Time to vote!