What are you baking? August 2023

Soft sourdough bread. Recipe makes 2 breads but i baked the bread in my 13x9 pullman pan.
There will be BLT sandwiches tomorrow.

13 Likes

@Stef-bakes

Lovely!

Maybe it’s premature of me to ask, but how did/do you like the bread? Have you made it before? Would you make it again?

Ha, ha we couldnt wait so shared the heel. Its very light and fluffy and soft. Sliced nicely and definitely has that sourdough taste. Minimal amout of work. I would definitely make it again. I chose to bake it in a 9x13 pan you can get 2 breads 9x5.

3 Likes

Thanks so much for the reply - I really value your feedback. This one looks (and sounds) right up our alley. The 9" x 13" might come in handy some times, as well.

1 Like

Apparently I make this cake every year around this time! I love it and my colleagues do too.https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/peach-bundt-cake-with-brown-butter-icing/

14 Likes

Hey bakers, we’re nominating books to bake from together for the rest of the year.

2 Likes

Today I made Alice Medrich’s Labne Tart to go with Wong Farms incredible mangoes.

I’ve made this tart several times. This is the first time I read the headnotes and learned that Nicholas Day reduced the sugar and increased the labne. I like the sweetness so if you make it I encourage you to use Day’s version.

It’s delicious. It’s similar to cheesecake and who doesn’t like cheesecake?

I used Byblos brand labne.

4 Likes

In my continual quest to make a crisp-bottomed quiche, I’ve acquired a baking stone. I’m going to use @Nannybakes method of baking the entire quiche at one go in a tart pan (no blind baking.) Now, my question is: a buttery pie crust in a removable tart pan leaks butter when it bakes. So do I (a) put it directly on the baking stone anyway, or (b) put it on a sheet pan and put that on the baking stone? Would I still get the crispy effect if I do (b)?

You could wrap pan in heavy duty foil.

What stone did you buy?

I have to say this bread makes lovely sandwich bread. Its going into rotation of my bread recipes.

5 Likes

mig…fwiw, I freeze the crust prior to filling. I also sometimes give a brush coat of mustard on the frozen crust and then add the solids. I usually don’t have butter leakage but our crusts are likely different, I would put a piece of foil underneath, turn up the edges a bit…but the stone will eventually develop a “ patina”.

I used your frozen method today.

I decided since I was baking in a BRAND NEW oven not to risk it. I placed the filled quiche tart pan on a cookie sheet and put the cookie sheet on the baking stone. And it’s very good I did because it leaked!

That said, I did get a crispier bottom crust:)

13 Likes

Looks great! One recommendation, make sure the oven is preheated longer than you think necessary. I use a radar gun on the stone to make sure it is at temperature,enjoy the quiche.

1 Like

When I use a sheetpan on a stone under a pie or quiche, I’ll preheat the sheetpan for at least 20 minutes (on the stone), as well.

5 Likes

Cottage Cheese Biscuits from Baking With Dorie (Greenspan) cookbook. These were easy to assemble, and an easy-to-handle dough. Flavor was OK - not as buttery/rich tasting as I had hoped but still a perfectly fine side for morning bacon & eggs. I patted my dough to 1/2 inch and cut with a 2-inch biscuit cutter., yielding 18 biscuits. The baked biscuits were about 1.5 inches tall - nice, not “impressive”. Another time, I’ll make the dough 3/4 inch tall to get the height I’d like. I froze six of the cut biscuits, uncooked, and will use them to top a casserole main dish later this month

15 Likes

This new oven heats up LIKE A CHAMP, it’s unreal!

5 Likes

13 Likes

I needed to use up linseeds so I made a seeded bread. It’s mostly white flour with some dark rye flour too and the seeds. Turned out lovely, a bit dense but works great with butter.

14 Likes

Tiny salty chocolate cookies from Alison Roman - available on NYT. LOVE these cookies. Made them for a friend going through chemo who loves little nibbles. I add 1t of espresso powder, 1t of vanilla, make them little, and bake for 8 minutes. I get 48 (not 24) cookies. They are SO GOOD.

12 Likes

Posted by ipsedixit. For some reason quote did not work.

Nicely browned. With a bit of imagination looks like a frowning face. :flushed:

2 Likes