September 2023 Cookbook of the Month Nominations

Nominations are extended! At current count, there are three books tied for second place, and we can’t have four books move on to the vote with such a small cohort. I hope to see some more nominations repeated or introduced in a late surge.

Nominations are now extended until TUESDAY, AUGUST 22 at 12 PM PDT/3 PM EDT.

Do we need more cookbooks nominated, or more consensus behind one of the books? (I’m new to the forum.) I can provide either, if needed… Or is the concern that we haven’t had enough other people participate?

Looks like:

3 noms: Woks of Life
2 noms each:
Continuation of Thomas Keller Month
Tenderheart
Land of Plenty
Afro-Vegan

It’s better to be voting between 2 (max 3), so more consensus to narrow down the vote is what I’m guessing Caitlin meant (though nominating more books could also take everyone a different way and switch up what the top 2/3 are).

For a nomination to count it needs to be in all caps (easier for the coordinator to count, because we also mention book names in discussion).

I’ll vote for CONTINUATION OF THOMAS KELLER MONTH (and I want to look into Afro-Vegan–maybe October?)

1 Like

LAND OF PLENTY I have it from the library.
AFRO-VEGAN I own it.
CONTINUATION OF THOMAS KELLER MONTH I have most of them from the library.

I could delve more deeply into AFRO-VEGAN.
I have THE FOOD OF SICHUAN, which I is an updated version of LAND OF PLENTY, so I could play along with that one.

For anyone interested in the Afro-Vegan cookbook… it’s available for free library checkout from the Internet Archive: https://archive.org/details/afroveganfarmfre0000terr . You just need a free login, details here: https://help.archive.org/help/borrowing-from-the-lending-library/

2 Likes

AFRO VEGAN is inspiring me. For me Terry writes some of the best cookbooks in the world, and I’ve neglected this one for too long.

1 Like

oops. I just realized that the one I have from the library is the updated version
FOOD OF SICHUAN
not the earlier Land of Plenty, so I could play along with either

I’ve been sad to see COTM dwindle since CH shut down. I honestly haven’t read about any new (or old) cookbooks that I feel the need to buy. I always like when a book I already have is selected so I can do a deeper dive. I actually have several books that I moved here with and hadn’t ever used. . . and still haven’t.

I tend to nominate the same books I have on hand month after month. Sometimes they get a shot and sometimes not. Its fine. I’d love to see the CARMINE’S COOKBOOK or MESA MEXICANA be COTM eventually one day. ENDLESS SUMMER would be fun too I think. I’m kind of out of the main group because Asian food doesn’t interest me.

I’d be fine with another THOMAS KELLER MONTH. That being said I’m back to work Sept 1 sob so I’ll be dead for the first 2 weeks trying to adjust my schedule getting back to work.

I haven’t been participating as much either, as I am not buying cookbooks these days. I have too many that I don’t use enough already. I like getting the COTMs from the library, but new ones often have long wait. Every once in a while the stars align with a book I can get and the time to cook. Like you, I go back to work at the start of September.

ONCE UPON A CHEF blog and books

Nominations are now closed. A voting thread will go up sometime later today.

1 Like

Time to vote!

Are people still interested in COTM? If so, I can post a nomination thread for October.

1 Like

I am. I’ve had a horrific past 2 weeks between my father having an accident in the ocean on Sunday and passing on Labor Day, the plans, the service Sunday, and returning back to work this week. I slept for 3 hours this afternoon when I got back here today.

I’ve been living on fruit and leftover soups from the freezer. I will be back and ready to cook soon!

5 Likes

I am. :slight_smile:

I am, but given scant participation it may be worth considering whether a quarterly book frequency is worth considering for a while, like for the baking book.

1 Like

So very sorry for your loss.

1 Like

yes