September 2023 Cookbook of the Month Nominations

oops. I just realized that the one I have from the library is the updated version
FOOD OF SICHUAN
not the earlier Land of Plenty, so I could play along with either

I’ve been sad to see COTM dwindle since CH shut down. I honestly haven’t read about any new (or old) cookbooks that I feel the need to buy. I always like when a book I already have is selected so I can do a deeper dive. I actually have several books that I moved here with and hadn’t ever used. . . and still haven’t.

I tend to nominate the same books I have on hand month after month. Sometimes they get a shot and sometimes not. Its fine. I’d love to see the CARMINE’S COOKBOOK or MESA MEXICANA be COTM eventually one day. ENDLESS SUMMER would be fun too I think. I’m kind of out of the main group because Asian food doesn’t interest me.

I’d be fine with another THOMAS KELLER MONTH. That being said I’m back to work Sept 1 sob so I’ll be dead for the first 2 weeks trying to adjust my schedule getting back to work.

I haven’t been participating as much either, as I am not buying cookbooks these days. I have too many that I don’t use enough already. I like getting the COTMs from the library, but new ones often have long wait. Every once in a while the stars align with a book I can get and the time to cook. Like you, I go back to work at the start of September.

ONCE UPON A CHEF blog and books

Nominations are now closed. A voting thread will go up sometime later today.

1 Like

Time to vote!

Are people still interested in COTM? If so, I can post a nomination thread for October.

1 Like

I am. I’ve had a horrific past 2 weeks between my father having an accident in the ocean on Sunday and passing on Labor Day, the plans, the service Sunday, and returning back to work this week. I slept for 3 hours this afternoon when I got back here today.

I’ve been living on fruit and leftover soups from the freezer. I will be back and ready to cook soon!

5 Likes

I am. :slight_smile:

I am, but given scant participation it may be worth considering whether a quarterly book frequency is worth considering for a while, like for the baking book.

1 Like

So very sorry for your loss.

1 Like

yes

I am, Caitlin. I am just in the process of moving… again and, hopefully, for the last time in a long time. It’s been a weird move. And I haven’t had access to much of my kitchen. And I actually have reports for previous COTMs I need to post as well. But I also have houseguest as I am moving. So, I am super behind on everything not related to moving and hosting. And during all of this, my oldest son got into a car accident totaling his car. No one was hurt, thankfully, but dealing with this from several states away has taken a fair bit of attention. His car, because it was so old, was the worst off and would cost more to repair than it was worth. Anyway, I have been busy and distracted. And food has been grab and go or quick non-cookbook meals.

Also, thank you so much for shepherding COTM with Mel and a few others. I so appreciate it. And I am sorry my participation doesn’t reflect how much I value what you do and have been doing for COTM. I hope to get my cooking mojo back as soon as I get my kitchen unboxed. And a few other things even out and my life becomes less hectic.

ETA: NJChicaa- You and your family are in my thoughts.

7 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss. I am having a similar experience with my brother dying last night. I am also still interested in COTM but life is definitely getting in the way right now.

4 Likes

Sending sympathy to you and NJChica. So sorry for your losses.

1 Like

I’m so sorry, NJChicaa.

Oh gosh, I’m so sorry, Mary.

1 Like

Very sorry for your loss @pavlova.

1 Like

I am so sorry, Mary. The passing of a parent is so acutely painful, but I can’t even imagine what losing a sibling must feel like. Definitely, holding you and your family in my thoughts.

1 Like

Thank you. I am at my mom’s to support her. I can’t imagine losing a child. She has a big family who have been wonderful and we are all working to support my sister-in-law, niece and nephew. Today we are making cabbage rolls with tomato sauce from the last of the garden tomatoes.

4 Likes