Seek Suggestions Airtight Containers for Food Storage

Well, are you planning to sell them?

Man. ~$17 for 6 used ice cream jars is a lot. That is about $3 per jar, and a Talenti ice cream is like $4 each.

1 Like

Bizarre.

2 Likes

Iā€™d rather buy the full cartons and dispose of the contents enjoyably! I have some pistachio in the freezer now!

1 Like

Manā€¦ you people are making me want to buy another jar Talenti ice cream (havenā€™t had it for years now, and remember liking it very much). Damn you.

2 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Itā€™s good stuff! Plus, you get a nice storage jar! Win win!

Black Raspberry Chocolate Chip and their Caribbean Coconut are my favs. Talenti and Haagen Dazs are all I buy.

1 Like

Coffee chocolate chip - I can never find it!
Iā€™m laughing because I have some antique silver ice cream spoons - they look like sporks. I should break one out and polish it up!

I like many ice cream flavors in general. For example, I like chocolate ice cream in general. For Talenti, I would say the Black Raspberry chocolate chip and the Pacific Coast Pistachio stand out more for me.

3 Likes

Me too! I like the layered ones. Carbs be damned! They (containers, not calories) donā€™t survive my dishwasher though.

1 Like

They do mine (many, many times). Top shelf, and turn the heated dry off.

2 Likes

Weā€™ve been using these (stock image below) for about 10 years (except then they had none of the vent features some of the lids now carry). I myself normally wash by hand because Iā€™m really bad at finding a fit for the squarish shapes, but my wife always puts them in the dishwasher. Iā€™d estimate theyā€™ve probably gotten 60% by washer and 40% by hand, and she does use the heated dry.

Theyā€™re finally starting to give up the ghost, mostly due to the lids becoming brittle and cracking. But hey,10 years for $25 or whatever we paid was pretty good, and in that time weā€™ve never had any leaky lids or other problems. So Iā€™ve been happy with them and would simply buy the same set.

But my wife said sheā€™d prefer glass, so weā€™re in the market for replacement and I read this thread with interest. Her issue with the plastic (at least these Rubbermaid plastic ones) is that it can scorch inside if youā€™re microwave reheating a thicker foodstuff like stew that can create a localized hotspot. I looked at everything mentioned here (the glass ones, I mean) and a lot of the poor reviews focused on rim chipping.

Not just one chip - like you mentioned Iā€™ve got at least one Pyrex measuring cup that I chipped the pour lip by being uncareful and banging it against the edge of the sink. According to the reviews, these were multiple chips about the rim of the bowl, seemingly without insult (at least, thatā€™s their story), often apparently just from the stress of removing the lids.

But in any event we went with the Pyrex set (6 round, 3 rectangle) and Iā€™ll see how the lids work out. Lids either not fitting from the beginning (esp. the rectangular), or getting out of shape fairly quickly, seem to be the biggest complaint for this set.

1 Like

Pyrex makes glass containers with glass lids. The glass lids have a silicon seal they are inserted in that provides an airtight seal to the container.

Theyā€™re not cheap, but should last a long timeā€¦ plus can go from freezer to oven.

1 Like

Oh, good! Husband recently bought the PST of those.

1 Like

Hope you get 10 years +, too. But what does ā€œPSTā€ stand for?

Interesting, thanks Scott because I hadnā€™t seen those. We do have a small set of the Rubbermaid glass (but these have plastic lids with silicone seal) and have had no trouble with them, no chipping whatsoever. But a reason not to buy more of these is that the lids sit down some 15 mm into the bowl space, reducing the volume considerably. I canā€™t tell from the photos but it looks like the inner rim portion of the lid likely has a similar depth, but the main area of the lid looks like it does not go so far down.

Iā€™ll have to see if I can find these IRL and play with them a bit - this set could be an adjunct to the set already ordered. It has 9 pieces, but I can envision the daughters using the rectangles more for their baking, which would leave us with only 6 for storage a lot of the time.

Thank you.

I believe I got that from @LindaWhit ; ā€œProverbial Shit Tonā€, usually in the context of butter, or ā€œPSTOBā€.

2 Likes

I have one of these glass containers but donā€™t use it much because itā€™s so heavy; I like the regular Pyrex glass containers better.

Interesting. Why are those glass containers with glass lids heavier? Is it because the glass lids or the glass is thicker?

Plus they come with frees sorbetto or gelato!

1 Like

I had not analyzed it ā€¦ maybe cause lids are mostly made of glass.